Spanish Tax

Hi folks, I have heard that when the ship is in Spanish waters or ports the bar staff are obliged to impose a tax on drinks even if you have an all inclusive drinks package. Is anyone aware of this or experienced a larger than expected bill at the end of their cruise? Hopefully Tui inform their guests about this. I was not aware of this at the time of booking.

42 minutes ago, jammowem1954 said:

Hi folks, I have heard that when the ship is in Spanish waters or ports the bar staff are obliged to impose a tax on drinks even if you have an all inclusive drinks package. Is anyone aware of this or experienced a larger than expected bill at the end of their cruise? Hopefully Tui inform their guests about this. I was not aware of this at the time of booking.

Someone is having you on.😂😂

I've also read about a tax imposed by the Spanish on food and drink. It seems this is being passed onto clients by NCL, even those who have prepaid for a drinks package. Let's hope other cruise lines don't follow suit, although the prices Marella are charging It's probably already been factored into the total price

3 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

I've also read about a tax imposed by the Spanish on food and drink. It seems this is being passed onto clients by NCL, even those who have prepaid for a drinks package. Let's hope other cruise lines don't follow suit, although the prices Marella are charging It's probably already been factored into the total price

and a bit extra for good measure, but apparently Simon Calder is the source and it relates to NCL, something to do with a 'free at sea' deal NCL must be offering

https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/09/22/tax-warning-issued-for-cruise-passengers-when-in-spanish-waters/

Edited by howmuch!

I have no experience of this with Marella (at least not yet) but we’re recently off a Princess ship (with a drink package) and we weren’t charged any extra but the daily programme stated that any drinks that were being charged to an on-board account while in Spain would have the additional tax added. Sounds like individual lines are handling this differently. 

I believe this is happening in some other European countries as well, I’ve read that they want passengers off ships in port to encourage using bars , restaurants etc so they spend there euros in ports as though already stated some cruise lines have this priced in. I believe the USA has a tax too when in port or their waters on some ships as happens on land in bars etc. every state has a different tax rate.