Hiking Poles

sowhat33

I have a set of Leki poles which I bought at REI.  I had another set, but they did not collapse short enough to fit into my carry on bag.  What I did was put them in my backpack, with the handles sticking out.  This worked ok for several trips, until they got confiscated by TSA (I knew it was a risk).  Luckily, they were not an expensive set, but I liked them.  

Hiking poles is something I have a bit of experience with living at 9,500'.

Obviously get collapsible poles if traveling.  My advice would be to get as lightweight as your budget allows if you plan on using them frequently for longer hikes.  If you'll use them once or twice for relatively short hikes, get the cheapest collapsible set you can find. 

Also make sure they are adjustable height poles.  Some of the folding poles like Clay referenced used to be fixed length, but I see his are adjustable.

5 minutes ago, mwike said:

Hiking poles is something I have a bit of experience with living at 9,500'.

Obviously get collapsible poles if traveling.  My advice would be to get as lightweight as your budget allows if you plan on using them frequently for longer hikes.  If you'll use them once or twice for relatively short hikes, get the cheapest collapsible set you can find. 

Also make sure they are adjustable height poles.  Some of the folding poles like Clay referenced used to be fixed length, but I see his are adjustable.

Yes, even adjust tall enough for me!

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I've been pleased with this one:

CLINE Travel Folding Trekking Hiking Pole with Carrying Case,Collapsible Cane Adjustable Walking Stick Portable Mobility Aid for Women Men Hikers Gift,Black https://a.co/d/cP3vGlq

Thanks Clay! I was planning to get hiking poles and didn’t know where to start. I just ordered a pair of these. Appreciate your help!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I have a set of Leki poles which I bought at REI.  I had another set, but they did not collapse short enough to fit into my carry on bag.  What I did was put them in my backpack, with the handles sticking out.  This worked ok for several trips, until they got confiscated by TSA (I knew it was a risk).  Luckily, they were not an expensive set, but I liked them.  

We have Leki poles that have been priceless during icy winter excursions. We pack them in checked luggage.

23 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

We have Leki poles that have been priceless during icy winter excursions. We pack them in checked luggage.

We also have expensive Lexi poles. And we pack them in checked luggage.  I think that’s the way to go.  I thought about buying some cheap ones for travel, but we both like our poles.  

Edited by SantaFe1