Ruins tour in Cozumel

jaycruiser59

57 minutes ago, jaycruiser59 said:

Has anybody done the ruins tour in Cozumel with a private tour company? Any name of private tours would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Ruins On Cozumel or on the mainland?

Edited by c-leg5

20 minutes ago, jaycruiser59 said:

Looking for information on both. Then going to decide.  Thank you!

The ruins on Cozumel are very small, interesting but unimpressive. We have enjoyed them, especially taking the walk into the jungle to the outlying buildings but they are definitely not a “must-do” item if you don’t visit Cozumel regularly. You need water and bug spray. Easy enough to get a taxi from the pier who will wait, then possibly include an east side tour, negotiate price before you leave. We prefer to pre- book and use ToursPlaza, who have a website. Others will recommend Black Hat and there are several independent taxis recommended regularly on TA.

The ruins, (at least Tulum) on the mainland are possible independently but I would strongly advise against it and would only do a mainland tour through the ship or preferably from a mainland vacation.

I have seen the ship’s chartered ferry arrive back late on numerous occasions and of course the ship will wait.

Independently it would require far too many stars to align for my liking on a cruise ship day. First you will need a taxi into town from International, fit in with ferry service (several companies - so only buy single ticket) then land transport in the mainland and then reverse. There are one or two brokers on Cozumel that will sell you a package deal but you still have to follow the same steps with no time guarantees. 

There used to be a charter flight available from the airport to Chichen Itza but I am not sure if that has resumed. 

Ruins much easier from Progreso, Costa Maya or Belize.

Edited by c-leg5

Because it’s an all day kind of tour I’d only book with the cruiselines.    Ferrying to playa del carman.  Bus to ruins.  I spent more time on transport round trip.   One accident on the main road can hold you up for a bit 

On 10/5/2023 at 9:07 PM, c-leg5 said:

The ruins on Cozumel are very small, interesting but unimpressive. We have enjoyed them, especially taking the walk into the jungle to the outlying buildings but they are definitely not a “must-do” item if you don’t visit Cozumel regularly. You need water and bug spray. Easy enough to get a taxi from the pier who will wait, then possibly include an east side tour, negotiate price before you leave. We prefer to pre- book and use ToursPlaza, who have a website. Others will recommend Black Hat and there are several independent taxis recommended regularly on TA.

The ruins, (at least Tulum) on the mainland are possible independently but I would strongly advise against it and would only do a mainland tour through the ship or preferably from a mainland vacation.

I have seen the ship’s chartered ferry arrive back late on numerous occasions and of course the ship will wait.

Independently it would require far too many stars to align for my liking on a cruise ship day. First you will need a taxi into town from International, fit in with ferry service (several companies - so only buy single ticket) then land transport in the mainland and then reverse. There are one or two brokers on Cozumel that will sell you a package deal but you still have to follow the same steps with no time guarantees. 

There used to be a charter flight available from the airport to Chichen Itza but I am not sure if that has resumed. 

Ruins much easier from Progreso, Costa Maya or Belize.

Perfectly put.

Tulum I would only try through the cruiseline for sure.

The ruins on the island are not what you are envisioning from documentaries. Definitely google some pictures first.

Cozumel is a great beach day.

Tulum is close enough but a long ferry to the mainland and then another decent drive down the coast to the site. Tough on a cruiseship timetable.

Progresso gets you to Chitzen Itza and Uxmal ruins. (again, due to the long distances, only through the cruiseline, but Uxmal was fantastic)

Costa Maya has ruins close enough to use independant tours (Native Choice seems highly recommended)

Belize has 3 or 4 reachable from Belize city. Probably the best you can get on an average western Caribbean cruise, but again all but one of them are an extremely long drive to get to the sites.

6 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Perfectly put.

Tulum I would only try through the cruiseline for sure.

The ruins on the island are not what you are envisioning from documentaries. Definitely google some pictures first.

Cozumel is a great beach day.

Tulum is close enough but a long ferry to the mainland and then another decent drive down the coast to the site. Tough on a cruiseship timetable.

Progresso gets you to Chitzen Itza and Uxmal ruins. (again, due to the long distances, only through the cruiseline, but Uxmal was fantastic)

Costa Maya has ruins close enough to use independant tours (Native Choice seems highly recommended)

Belize has 3 or 4 reachable from Belize city. Probably the best you can get on an average western Caribbean cruise, but again all but one of them are an extremely long drive to get to the sites.

Agree there is significant land transportation involved from the other ports but you are not trying to coordinate taxi, ferry, taxi, and reverse like from Cozumel. 

• 2 weeks later...