Pride Of America Hawaii Excursions

IamJo

Hi all - We just booked the POA cruise for 4 weeks from today!  We are so confused on excursions.  To those of you who have recently sailed her or have a cruise coming up, could you share which excursions you are taking (both via NCL and others)?  We are not going to do the Hana tour so we'll have 2 full days in Maui.

Thanks so much for all the help!

I don't know your age, preferences, activity levels or finances, but I'll tell you what we plan to do.

Maui: My must see is Haleakala. Bring some thermal layers and decide whether you want sunset, sunrise or go up in the day. I liked Upcountry quite a bit. If walking around at 10,000 feet is not your thing, maybe snorkeling around Kihei. 

Big Island: Volcanoes National Park. Even Yellowstone doesn't afford you the geological experience that VNP does. 

Kauai: Waimea Canyon, Poipu Beach. Our sailing doesn't include the Na Pali coast, so if yours doesn't either, then book a helicopter or flight or a catamaran to see it.

We're just going to rent a car and drive to these places. 

9 hours ago, IamJo said:

Hi all - We just booked the POA cruise for 4 weeks from today!  We are so confused on excursions.  To those of you who have recently sailed her or have a cruise coming up, could you share which excursions you are taking (both via NCL and others)?  We are not going to do the Hana tour so we'll have 2 full days in Maui.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Maui is an easy island to navigate by car, and renting a car is a popular idea.  You can see and do what you want at your own speed.  Do you have any particular interests?

We are open to everything.  We love local culture, food and wine tastings, hands on experiences.  We love the beach, but more in the form of relaxing on it with cocktails, or taking scenic boat rides. 

As far as Haleakala, we'd love to do a sunrise or sunset.  Is one less crowded?  Are we better off joining a ship excursion? 

Also rethinking Hana as we feel like it's a once in a lifetime experience for us.

On 10/7/2023 at 6:55 PM, Ellis1138 said:

I don't know your age, preferences, activity levels or finances, but I'll tell you what we plan to do.

Maui: My must see is Haleakala. Bring some thermal layers and decide whether you want sunset, sunrise or go up in the day. I liked Upcountry quite a bit. If walking around at 10,000 feet is not your thing, maybe snorkeling around Kihei. 

Big Island: Volcanoes National Park. Even Yellowstone doesn't afford you the geological experience that VNP does. 

Kauai: Waimea Canyon, Poipu Beach. Our sailing doesn't include the Na Pali coast, so if yours doesn't either, then book a helicopter or flight or a catamaran to see it.

We're just going to rent a car and drive to these places. 

We did almost the same extensions.  We did do Hana.  Take a look.

On 10/8/2023 at 5:21 AM, IamJo said:

We are open to everything.  We love local culture, food and wine tastings, hands on experiences.  We love the beach, but more in the form of relaxing on it with cocktails, or taking scenic boat rides. 

As far as Haleakala, we'd love to do a sunrise or sunset.  Is one less crowded?  Are we better off joining a ship excursion? 

Also rethinking Hana as we feel like it's a once in a lifetime experience for us.

We live Upcountry, which is rather away from most tourist spots - a fact we like.  If you are open to possibly visiting the area, you might check out places such as Ulupalakua General Store (locally raised lamb and elk burgers) and the winery next door; Surfing Goat Dairy; Ali'i Lavender Farm; Ocean Vodka; shops on Baldwin Avenue from Makawao Avenue to the Cemetery; the Distillery across from Hali'imaile General Store;  Holy Ghost Church, etc.

• Like 1

We are doing the POA cruise in February 2024. We will be staying in Waikiki for three days before the cruise so we are going to see the Polynesian Cultural Center and Pearl Harbor on our own then. During the cruise we are doing all our excursions through NCL. We have several booked including a whale watch and sunset cruise, the directors cut, Volcano National Park and Haleakala Crater at Sunrise plus various trips to waterfalls, Waimea Canyon, etc. We are fully aware the ship excursions are more costly. My husband feels it is just easier as far as getting back to the ship on time plus he says part of his vacation is not having to drive. This is our 30th anniversary trip and will probably be our only time in Hawaii so we are doing what we feel will be easiest and best for us. If we were younger or possibly going to be going back to the islands, we might be more apt to DIY more excursions, but that is just us. Everyone should do what best suits them.

• Like 2