When is a good time to arrive to Pier 27 in SF for Embarkation?

SuzieQ521

On 10/9/2023 at 2:46 PM, SCX22 said:

In all seriousness, arrive at 2:00 p.m.  The lines disappear at this time.  If you get there early, like before 10:00 a.m., the pier is still a zoo of passengers, with the disembarking intermingling with the embarking passengers.  It can be be difficult to find a porter at this time because many are still busy assisting those that are disembarking.  Between 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., it get's busy as this is the suggested arrival time in the documentation.  At 2:00 p.m. or after, you'll miss the chaos.  Just forgo the embarkation day lunch.  It's worth it to not have to stand in line.

Also note Pier 27, has a small lobby on the 2nd floor for the security line, which is the bottleneck.  Passengers have to wait outside until the security line on the 2nd floor can accommodate more passengers, and only at that point will the port agents let more people up the escalator.  If you are handicapped and make it known, you can bypass the line and use the elevator to the 2nd floor.  Doesn't help that there are only 4 security lane x-rays to clear thousands of passengers.

I arrive around 9;30 am & never had any problems finding a ported as they LOVE my money. I’ve never had any problems with the people leaving the ship. Just my opinion. 

Tom😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:25 PM, Outerdog said:

10:30 am - 12:30 pm

We drop bags, park in a nearby garage and walk back. Sometimes we'll stop at Pier 23 and get plastered before heading to 27. 🍹 If you are being dropped off, then you can drop bags then head to 23 and get plastered before queueing up.

Line is minimal and moves quick. Entire process once joining the line is 10 minutes. Biggest fuss I encounter is getting the person telling people which window to go to to pay attention to open windows and stop chatting with the people in line.

You can get plastered right at the pier at the jazz cafe. Question….What happens if you enter the cruise terminal & try to board plastered. Just curious. 

Tom🤔

• Haha 1

On 26 September, the taxi had us at the pier 27 by 10am. He drove straight to where porters were standing ready to take our luggage. Checked in and was ready to board around 11:00 am 

only saw a few who looked like they were disembarking and no lines of taxis picking anyone up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

You can get plastered right at the pier at the jazz cafe. Question….What happens if you enter the cruise terminal & try to board plastered. Just curious. 

Tom🤔

Should be no different than getting on board after drinking all day in port

1 hour ago, memoak said:

What band is working at noon on a weekday ?

My mistake it’s called Pier 23 cafe but they are known for having Jazz music. I’m not sure what time of the day they have music but great food & drinks. 

Here’s a like to their web site & some photos. 

https://www.pier23cafe.com

Tom

image.png

3 hours ago, trbarton said:

My mistake it’s called Pier 23 cafe but they are known for having Jazz music. I’m not sure what time of the day they have music but great food & drinks. 

Here’s a like to their web site & some photos. 

https://www.pier23cafe.com

Tom

image.png

I have been there many times and during the day it is a great dive bar

• Like 1