Israeli Ports and The Gem

sailingships

This situation is getting scarier. Egypt now has a level 3 travel advisory and a level 4 (do not travel) for the Sinai Peninsula area. Port Said (one the Egypt ports on the Gem) is on the edge of that peninsula.  It’s around 123 miles from the Gaza - too close to be a safe area.  The protests in Istanbul are also adding to this cruise not being feasible or safe. I hope NCL takes all of this into consideration.

Edited by 1kidsfirst

7 hours ago, 1kidsfirst said:

This situation is getting scarier. Egypt now has a level 3 travel advisory and a level 4 (do not travel) for the Sinai Peninsula area. Port Said (one the Egypt ports on the Gem) is on the edge of that peninsula.  It’s around 123 miles from the Gaza - too close to be a safe area.  The protests in Istanbul are also adding to this cruise not being feasible or safe. I hope NCL takes all of this into consideration.

You do realize the Egypt travel advisory is from July, right? It's not been updated since July 13th. 

image.thumb.png.f4bfd7d0611d94c9e44f425adf6e2fac.png

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/egypt-travel-advisory.html

• Like 3

I'm so frustrated with NCL. Our flight to Istanbul is 9 days away and yet they won't release any information or decision for the cruise of Nov 1st. I have to cancel airline, hotel, & transportation reservations if the cruise is cancelled. A very short notice if any is very bad for NCL, won't use this cruise line ever again.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vitrbt1103 said:

I'm so frustrated with NCL. Our flight to Istanbul is 9 days away and yet they won't release any information or decision for the cruise of Nov 1st. I have to cancel airline, hotel, & transportation reservations if the cruise is cancelled. A very short notice if any is very bad for NCL, won't use this cruise line ever again.

Same.

29 minutes ago, Vitrbt1103 said:

Please confirm -your cruise leaves from Istanbul and returns to????

1 hour ago, Vitrbt1103 said:

Ends in Athens, Greece.

We are on the same cruise November 1-11 Istanbul to Athens.  I called NCL, nothing, no info.  We are flying in a week to Istanbul and are very worried stying there.  If Israel and Egypt are cancelled, this cruise should be cancelled. But NCL refuse to give details. We're very worried to travel in that region at this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bella65 said:

We are on the same cruise November 1-11 Istanbul to Athens.  I called NCL, nothing, no info.  We are flying in a week to Istanbul and are very worried stying there.  If Israel and Egypt are cancelled, this cruise should be cancelled. But NCL refuse to give details. We're very worried to travel in that region at this time.

I agree with you! What can we do? I don't want to lose my money!!

5 hours ago, RD64 said:

Please confirm -your cruise leaves from Istanbul and returns to????

Athens on Nov 11th and then goes back to Istanbul arriving there on Nov 22nd. The cruises for Nov 1st, 11th, and 22nd are full of Israel, Egypt and Turkey. NCL is still working on alternative ports etc. We're on the Nov 11th and 22nd cruises.

Edited by sailingships

4 hours ago, LadyWalkTall said:

Did nobody buy insurance? 

No insurance in the world covers cancellation due to war situation. Not even those with "Cancel For Any Reason". Just find and read small print.
Quote from Nationwide CFAR insurance policy Q&A: "The policy does not offer coverage for the threat of a Terrorist Incident or any war-related activity. See the policy for further details."

NCL is waiting, calculating. Unfortunatelly the situation will get more complicated. This is not just another local incident. Israel can not back up, they will go to all the way, otherwise they will have rockets again shortly.  NCL will have to cancel at the end. They do not have any right to force people to travel the dangerous part of the world. Who will in behalf of NCL declare GEM next cruises as safe? Who will take responsibility if incident happens - NCL CEO? By prolonging their decision to do the inevitable, they are doing more damage to the people, because they will, at best, have to modify their flights, and pay fees to do that. Some will lose their money due to non refundable fares. Someone here wrote "Ships are still calling to Alexandria and Middle East ports. Yes they do, those that have to pass the Suez channel. But who will dare to take a whole day bus tour to Cairo. Such a great target, bus full of US tourists, and plenty of time and places to do the job. NCL will wait until the end. At the end they will have to refund... Calculating till the very end NCL are doing damage to them self. According to some post here I am sure that NCL people are reading this forum. I read many times here - "No more NCL". Not good for future company image.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vitrbt1103 said:

Hopefully you got insurance!

10 hours ago, LadyWalkTall said:

Did nobody buy insurance? 

We have travel insurance but not “cancel for any reason” insurance. So, if we choose to cancel, we pretty much lose everything.

27 minutes ago, OctoP said:

We have travel insurance but not “cancel for any reason” insurance. So, if we choose to cancel, we pretty much lose everything.

Then if I were you, I would wait until NCL cancels. We have a cruise coming up in just under 2 weeks (doesn't go to Israel BTW but is in the Mediterranean), and we are holding tight. You are in a much better bargaining position if the cruise line cancels vs you.

24 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Then if I were you, I would wait until NCL cancels. We have a cruise coming up in just under 2 weeks (doesn't go to Israel BTW but is in the Mediterranean), and we are holding tight. You are in a much better bargaining position if the cruise line cancels vs you.

Ya, that does seem to be our only option. Just keep waiting. As someone else pointed out, there’s probably no insurance, even “cancel for any reason” insurance that would cover this scenario.

It’s a complicated house of cards. Much stress and anxiety. We have my sister-in-law supposedly flying cross-country on Thursday to stay with the kids while we’re gone. I guess she could come anyway if we cancel, but that causes other complications.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dr_Moos said:

No insurance in the world covers cancellation due to war situation. Not even those with "Cancel For Any Reason". Just find and read small print.
Quote from Nationwide CFAR insurance policy Q&A: "The policy does not offer coverage for the threat of a Terrorist Incident or any war-related activity. See the policy for further details."

NCL is waiting, calculating. Unfortunatelly the situation will get more complicated. This is not just another local incident. Israel can not back up, they will go to all the way, otherwise they will have rockets again shortly.  NCL will have to cancel at the end. They do not have any right to force people to travel the dangerous part of the world. Who will in behalf of NCL declare GEM next cruises as safe? Who will take responsibility if incident happens - NCL CEO? By prolonging their decision to do the inevitable, they are doing more damage to the people, because they will, at best, have to modify their flights, and pay fees to do that. Some will lose their money due to non refundable fares. Someone here wrote "Ships are still calling to Alexandria and Middle East ports. Yes they do, those that have to pass the Suez channel. But who will dare to take a whole day bus tour to Cairo. Such a great target, bus full of US tourists, and plenty of time and places to do the job. NCL will wait until the end. At the end they will have to refund... Calculating till the very end NCL are doing damage to them self. According to some post here I am sure that NCL people are reading this forum. I read many times here - "No more NCL". Not good for future company image.

The insurance will reimburse based on medical issues. I’m old…old people have issues. 😉

“Norwegian takes your money, they took our money honey…

Booked on a cruise to where they cannot go…

Kiss your money and your dreams goodbye!”

Les and Loretta booked on a Norwegian Cruise to Israel and Egypt on the Gem in November 2023 for their 23rd Wedding Anniversary. But war broke out and Norwegian refuses to Cancel or even give them a refund or an alternate trip. Who would want to sail into a war or travel into a war zone and put themselves in danger? And this now apparently includes flying to Istanbul to even get to the cruise.

“Kiss your money and your dreams goodbye” describes not only the story of the booking that Les and Loretta made with Norwegian Cruise Lines but the financial ruin potentially experienced by thousands of passengers whose bookings and dreams are now impacted by the Israeli Gaza war. 

Because of Norwegian intransigence, Les & Loretta wrote and recorded this song in mid October 2023 after no refunds from anyone to tell their story. And listen and join us for the Protest chant in the surprise ending!

https://californiatm-featlesfradkin.bandcamp.com/track/kiss-your-money-and-your-dreams-goodbye

Edited by californiales
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr_Moos said:

Insurance through Norwegian has 75% FCC for CFAR .   Also for other parts of the insurance the war exclusions would not apply (innocent bystander) as the exclusions state following: 

Loss caused by or resulting from:
2. war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities between nations (whether declared or not), civil war. This exclusion does not apply if You are an innocent bystander to these events.

8 hours ago, Dr_Moos said:

Thank you for your words. I am one that is still waiting for answers!! I have insurance but of course not for war terrorism