Israeli Ports and The Gem

sailingships

Passing on information regarding excursions booked through NCL at the rescheduled ports. 
1) If the port simply changed days, the excursion moved with it. No action needed. 
2) If the port was cancelled, the funds for the excursion will be credited to your onboard account. They will not be available to you until you are actually onboard. So, if you want to use those funds to schedule new excursions, you have to go to the excursion desk on board. If you prefer the funds go back to your credit card, they will do that, but you have to call 866-625-1167 and request this. It will take about 10 days to credit.

3) If you want to book new excursions before boarding, you have to use your credit card, not onboard credit. The excursions won’t be available for booking for at least a few more days.

5 minutes ago, sailingships said:

Unfortunately the parts that are unsafe are the parts that are POC, Alexandria and Istanbul.

I've been in Istanbul, I spent about a week there. It's a HUGE city. It's simply not true that the entire city is unsafe. Let me draw a comparison: for years, there have been security concerns in Mexico, yet the areas visited by tourists have been mostly quiet. I was in Israel in 2012 as part of my honeymoon. I was also in Athens and there were anti-government protests, and as I mentioned before, I've been to Istanbul. I never felt unsafe. You have to keep in mind that the news media exaggerates the dangers to drive ratings. I don't believe cruise passengers need to worry about going to the Mediterranean right now, apart (obviously) from Israel and Gaza. (Although it's worth noting that even in Israel, places like Tel Aviv are still quiet.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Looks like they changed only 3 ports (it's obvious with the situation over there that they aren't stopping in Ashdod or Haifa, that's a given). If I were you, I'd be grateful to be going anywhere. It goes without saying that a cruise line would never recklessly attempt to send 1,000s of passengers into an active war zone. I'm sure you realize that. Have a good time on your trip.

it is incredible that they took so much time to give their first communication 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vitrbt1103 said:

I just called NCL and no refunds if you cancel as we have a contract that said port visits are all subject to change. Not sure what to do at this point. Turkey and Egypt are not safe.

We feel the same, so we decided to go. We have 2 days in Istanbul prior to the cruise. The whole trip was Israel and Egypt.  I cancelled the excursions in Israel (of course) and Egypt. This is not the trip we wanted but better safe then sorry.  

Edited by Bella65

22 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I've been in Istanbul, I spent about a week there. It's a HUGE city. It's simply not true that the entire city is unsafe. Let me draw a comparison: for years, there have been security concerns in Mexico, yet the areas visited by tourists have been mostly quiet. I was in Israel in 2012 as part of my honeymoon. I was also in Athens and there were anti-government protests, and as I mentioned before, I've been to Istanbul. I never felt unsafe. You have to keep in mind that the news media exaggerates the dangers to drive ratings. I don't believe cruise passengers need to worry about going to the Mediterranean right now, apart (obviously) from Israel and Gaza. (Although it's worth noting that even in Israel, places like Tel Aviv are still quiet.)

100% agree. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 10:22 AM, Dr_Moos said:

It is up to you if you want an "adventure" cruise or not. Maybe you like to cruise with a helmet on your head. I do not. For me a cruise should be a relaxation. I am still at home one week from my flight to Istanbul, which NCL still can not confirm as embarkation port. All they respond for Istanbul is "At the moment - yes". Am I relaxed...? Hell -No.
Shall I be more relaxed when I board the Gem and sail into insecure area. Hell - No. I do not demand a refund. I asked to be re-routed to another ship, or given a FCC. They refuse to do so, while not providing information nor solutions. Those who want to go - have a nice cruise!
The others should be given a choice, because their fears are justified. What we are looking at the moment in Israel and surrounding countries might turn into major catastrophe. Unfortunatelly, some people are not taking this seriously... 

I respect that you want to be able to move to a different cruise. But anyone booking this itinerary (myself included) must have known what they are booking. History tells you Israel was always a potential missed port and to a lesser extent Egypt, which thankfully hasn't been cancelled, but still might be. 

My point is that if you originally booked to travel to Israel you must have been OK travelling into an area that carries a heightened risk. And I still say that Israel 3 weeks ago was riskier than the areas we are visiting in Egypt and Turkey now. Look at all the missile defences it has!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

To piggyback on @DCGuy64’s post. During the summer of 2016 there was military unrest in Turkey. We anticipated that the port of Kusadasi would be cancelled and a substitution take place. They kept Kusadasi and everyone was in an uproar. We planned on staying on board for safety expecting to see a town overrun with military and tanks.

Curiosity got the best of us and we ventured into the port area, then the town, had a great lunch and several Turkish coffees then off to one of the best Mediterranean beach days ever. Had we followed the media reports etc, we would have never had this experience. By no means am I advising going blindly into the wind - everyone needs to make their own informed decisions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jetstreamer said:

I respect that you want to be able to move to a different cruise. But anyone booking this itinerary (myself included) must have known what they are booking. History tells you Israel was always a potential missed port and to a lesser extent Egypt, which thankfully hasn't been cancelled, but still might be. 

My point is that if you originally booked to travel to Israel you must have been OK travelling into an area that carries a heightened risk. And I still say that Israel 3 weeks ago was riskier than the areas we are visiting in Egypt and Turkey now. Look at all the missile defences it has!! 

Exactly, and not to get too much politics into this, but...

for 10 years there has been an on-going war in Syria (supported by Russia) between the government there, and various "rebel" and "separatist" factions who are backed off and on by:

Iraq

Iran

Turkey

Egypt

Saudi Arabia

Qatar

Israel

UK

USA 

Private Military Organizations involved typically have soldiers of fortune from places (other than listed above) like South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Brazil.

Any of this could spill over into surrounding countries, but for the most part doesn't.

Travel to surrounding countries is no less, or more, safe than it was 5 weeks ago.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RD64 said:

By no means am I advising going blindly into the wind - everyone needs to make their own informed decisions.

Agreed! And the key is "informed" decisions, as in "information from multiple sources, not just the sensationalist press." I have no doubt some people overseas see headlines about Washington, DC having a high crime rate (which it does). But I work there and I don't feel unsafe, but I also know which areas to avoid. Some folks I've met from the UK, for example, have this notion that every person in America walks around toting a gun. So to @RD64's point, two things can be true at once: Turkey might have some unrest, AND cruise passengers can have a relaxing time in Kusadasi. It's not one or the other.

• Thanks 3

On 10/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, Bella65 said:

I just received the new itinerary for November 1-11 - how sad that they are actually thinking this is the cruise we wanted.

I doubt anyone at NCL thinks this is the cruise you wanted. 
But the cruise you wanted is now impossible. They can't sail into a warzone.

The fact that the industry can get away with contracts that allow them to change whatever ports they want without compensation (and here they are providing some...) is kind of crazy, but it's the contract we purchase.  Some countries have better protection than others in terms of being allowed to cancel when there are major changes. The US has horrible protections for consumers. That's a government problem.

• Like 1

Board "newbie" here. My wife and I are booked on the Nov. 11-22 cruise. This would be our 1st cruise on NCL. I've been following this thread for several weeks and have pretty much decided that we're not going due to the risk. To us the revised itinerary isn't worth it. Like many others we were going for the Israel and Egypt POC's.  We have the "cancel for any reason" insurance but of course that's worthless.  I'm trying to determine if we should still check in and not show or officially cancel. If we cancel then they cancel I understand we're SOL for any possible compensation. Any downsides to checking in and not showing??  Suggestions/thoughts/comments?

Edited by BatterySam

1 hour ago, BatterySam said:

We have the "cancel for any reason" insurance but of course that's worthless

Why is it worthless? If you have CFAR, couldn't you just say, "I changed my mind about this cruise." and be covered? That is what we did in March 2020 just as COVID was starting. We were reimbursed for 75% of our nonrefundable costs by insurance and NCL gave us our port charges and free at sea service fees back.

• Like 1

It's worthless as calling it CFAR is a misnomer. Looking at the fine print you'll see that there are least 16  limitations and exclusions, including: "war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities between nations (whether declared or not), civil war. This exclusion does not apply if You are an innocent bystander to these events".

I don't think we qualify as an innocent bystander. 

28 minutes ago, BatterySam said:

It's worthless as calling it CFAR is a misnomer. Looking at the fine print you'll see that there are least 16  limitations and exclusions, including: "war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities between nations (whether declared or not), civil war. This exclusion does not apply if You are an innocent bystander to these events".

I don't think we qualify as an innocent bystander. 

For Insurance provided by NCL,  CFAR does not have any exclusions The exclusions apply for cancelling for a covered reason. IMHO

THIS IS MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE PROCESS

You will have to cancel with NCL, and you will get taxes, fees , FAS gratuities, excursions etc. refunded to method of payment. The balance you paid is the penalty amount (Cruise fare and any air you purchased through NCL) . Need to cancel before departure date.

You will then need to file a claim with the insurance for the penalty amount

IF the insurance covers any amount, you will get that amount. Insurance MAY cover due to the war and the POC changes.  though probably will say no.  This can take 10 to 15 days. We should be an innocent bystander in the war anyway.

Whatever amount that the insurance does not cover will then be given as FCC by NCL (either 75% standard insurance or 90% premium insurance) 

Edited by OctCruise11
  • Like 2

Thanks OctCruise. I certainly like your take on this better than the response I received yesterday when I spoke to a NCL rep. I was essentially told that my choices at this point were limited and if I cancelled I would not receive any compensation.  I did cancel the excursions as well as the FAS items which they are crediting back to my CC. Will follow up with them.

• Like 1

Party of 4 on our very first ever cruise, 1 day away from making our way to a cruise that should have been our amazing first experience. Instead, we will be spending 2 days prior to our Nov 1st cruise in Istanbul, watching the thousands of protesters in support of Hamas doesn't make us feel safe at all. I can not believe MCL is getting away with it and not allowing the cancelation or at the very lease, postpone it, or credit it to another cruise. Beyond comprehension and frustration travelling with so much tension. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bella65 said:

I can not believe MCL is getting away with it and not allowing the cancelation or at the very lease, postpone it, or credit it to another cruise. Beyond comprehension and frustration travelling with so much tension. 

I will be a bit harsh here.

NCL didn't create this situation. They have no obligation to provide compensation. Sure, it could have been done out of goodwill. At a considerable cost for them. Maybe they should have done that. But it would have been out of goodwill and they are not "getting away" with anything!

Having said that, I completely understand your reluctance to stay in Istanbul. But it is what it is. Personally I probably would have cancelled and taken the loss that wasn't covered by insurance. And shed some tears both of my own frustration and for the victims of the war. (I am not a wealthy person and the monetary loss would have pained me. But I doubt I could have enjoyed the cruise under these circumstances. But that's easy to say when not actually affected.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bella65 said:

Party of 4 on our very first ever cruise, 1 day away from making our way to a cruise that should have been our amazing first experience. Instead, we will be spending 2 days prior to our Nov 1st cruise in Istanbul, watching the thousands of protesters in support of Hamas doesn't make us feel safe at all. I can not believe MCL is getting away with it and not allowing the cancelation or at the very lease, postpone it, or credit it to another cruise. Beyond comprehension and frustration travelling with so much tension. 

There are also major protests in support of Hamas in every major North American city. Should we all just hide in our dwellings every time there is a bit of unrest? Istanbul is like every major city. Places you should go and places you shouldn't. Don't believe everything you see on the tv or the internet. They sensationalize to get you to watch or read. Give Istanbul a chance. You might like it. Or not. You will not know until you experience it yourself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

There are also major protests in support of Hamas in every major North American city. Should we all just hide in our dwellings every time there is a bit of unrest? Istanbul is like every major city. Places you should go and places you shouldn't. Don't believe everything you see on the tv or the internet. They sensationalize to get you to watch or read. Give Istanbul a chance. You might like it. Or not. You will not know until you experience it yourself.

Agreed.  Istanbul is a fabulous city.  One of my favorite cities on earth.  Of course it’s your decision, but I would go in a heartbeat.  Just don’t trust yourself if you promise yourself not to buy a carpet.  😂

• Haha 1