Israeli Ports and The Gem

sailingships

The Gem has 3 more cruises this year that included the ports of Ashdod and Haifa. Nov 1st, Istanbul to Athens, Nov 11th, Athens to Istanbul, and Nov 22nd, Istanbul to Civitavecchia (Rome). Has anyone been able to find out which ports the Gem will visit instead, or will these be sea days? We will be on 2 of those cruises.

1 hour ago, sailingships said:

The Gem has 3 more cruises this year that included the ports of Ashdod and Haifa. Nov 1st, Istanbul to Athens, Nov 11th, Athens to Istanbul, and Nov 22nd, Istanbul to Civitavecchia (Rome). Has anyone been able to find out which ports the Gem will visit instead, or will these be sea days? We will be on 2 of those cruises.

A very fluid situation. Israel is a definite no, and I would personally say - do not bet on Alexandria either.

32 minutes ago, sailingships said:

Some of these cruises might be cancelled as the US Navy is now in the area and the ships were due to go north and south through that part of the Med. The Eastern Med is now part of a war zone. I just wish NCL would tell us something.

Never mind - if you are saying that the whole Eastern med could soon be engulfed in this, that negates my comment below (I tried to delete it but don't know how).

If I understand the schedule correctly, the Gem sailings do not originate or end in Israel - Israel was just a stop along the cruise.   It is unlikely they will cancel cruises that simply stop in Israel altogether.  They will attempt to find alternate ports, but if that isn't possible they can simply replace them with sea days.

The NCL cruises that actually originate or end in Israel are a more difficult problem logistically, since passengers have to reroute their air travel.  Hopefully those will be resolved quickly so the passengers can get new flights asap. 

Edited by kitkat343

1 minute ago, kitkat343 said:

If I understand the schedule correctly, the Gem sailings do not originate or end in Israel - Israel was just a stop along the cruise.   It is unlikely they will cancel cruises that simply stop in Israel altogether.  They will attempt to find alternate ports, but if that isn't possible they can simply replace them with sea days.

The NCL cruises that actually originate or end in Israel are a more difficult problem logistically, since passengers have to reroute their air travel.  Hopefully those will be resolved quickly so the passengers can get new flights asap. 

No but for both our cruises we go to Israel, Egypt and Turkey. If NCL takes out those ports the cruises will be gutted. We do end and start in Istanbul. (Nov 11 and 22) As long as the Gem starts in Athens on Nov 11 as she is supposed to we might be OK . We fly into Athens.  I think NCL is deciding what to do on each cruise as it is due to sail. If our state dept gives out a travel advisory for the whole area the cruises will be cancelled. I would just like to know ahead of time so that we can make other arrangements etc.

1 hour ago, sailingships said:

Some of these cruises might be cancelled as the US Navy is now in the area and the ships were due to go north and south through that part of the Med. The Eastern Med is now part of a war zone. I just wish NCL would tell us something.

Tell you something....

Like What?

Will a war end before 22 Nov?  Do they have a crystal ball?

This is a highly intense political situation that is being backed up by the killing of HUNDREDS (maybe thousands by now) of innocent people on both sides, and you are worried about which ports you might miss?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, sailingships said:

No but for both our cruises we go to Israel, Egypt and Turkey. If NCL takes out those ports the cruises will be gutted. We do end and start in Istanbul. (Nov 11 and 22) As long as the Gem starts in Athens on Nov 11 as she is supposed to we might be OK . We fly into Athens.  I think NCL is deciding what to do on each cruise as it is due to sail. If our state dept gives out a travel advisory for the whole area the cruises will be cancelled. I would just like to know ahead of time so that we can make other arrangements etc.

You would like to know ahead of time - this is an extremely fluid situation which is changing by the hour, and truly has no resolution in sight. If it is causing you so much stress, best to cancel now.

3 hours ago, RD64 said:

You would like to know ahead of time - this is an extremely fluid situation which is changing by the hour, and truly has no resolution in sight. If it is causing you so much stress, best to cancel now.

Be aware, if you cancel now you lose everything, if not most. Wait for NCL to analyze the situation and make alternative arrangements and let you know. They will offer options. If NCL decides to cancel the cruise, you’re in luck.

The Gem will NOT be going to Israel for the unforeseen future. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

If NCL decides to cancel the cruise, you’re in luck.

The Gem will NOT be going to Israel for the unforeseen future. 

We're not planning to cancel and we dont expect to go to the 2 Israeli ports. But most of the rest of the ports are in Egypt and Turkey. Plus Cypress and Rhodes .We start in Athens so that wont be a problem.

This morning NCL told me that they are dealing with one cruise at a time and just the October ones for now.  On Oct 12 the Gem leaves Istanbul and goes to the middle of the Med. Oct 22 does the middle of the Med and then ends in Istanbul. Nov 1st, 11th and 22nd all had ports in Israel, Egypt and Turkey. The Nov 22nd cruise ends in Rome on Dec 4, then the TA to NYC. We're on Nov 11th and 22nd, both heavy in Israel, Egypt and Turkey. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Israel is not going to happen! Sorry to disappoint the people that feel this is just a blip that inconveniences them. Egypt is just a wild card at this point as the situation is fluid. 

I'm so glad you keep on agreeing with me. Yes this is definitely not just a blip. But Egypt and Turkey might also be out as far as ports of call are concerned. Then what ?

2 minutes ago, sailingships said:

I'm so glad you keep on agreeing with me. Yes this is definitely not just a blip. But Egypt and Turkey might also be out as far as ports of call are concerned. Then what ?

Greece? Some ports in Italy like  Bari?Ending in Rome - Naples - Messina - Palermo?  Albania? Tunisia? Sadly there are not a lot of options

Edited by RD64
Additional

54 minutes ago, RD64 said:

However - this will upset the multitude that booked these cruises only because they wanted to go to Israel and it was on their bucket list, and nothing else will suffice.

They'll get over it. They're alive and well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At this point I wish NCL would just cancel. It’s not safe, and it’s disrespectful to the human tragedy that is going on in the region. I suspect they are trying everything to not cancel because that means they would have to refund the money. 

Edited by OctoP
  • Like 1

No reason to think that Turkey, Cyprus, Malta or other spots will be impacted by this. About 10 or more years ago I was on a cruise that was supposed to overnight in Israel than go to Alexandira. There was, compared to this event, a minor flare-up that canceled Israel, so went to Rhodes and Antalya instead, then on the way to Egypt the situation in Israel lead to some protests so that was scrapped and went to Malta. Not the cruise I had wanted, but interesting, nonetheless.  

They can avoid the area easily - 100's of miles away - and provide a great cruise, no need to fully cancel.

NCL customer service update:

•    We are deeply saddened by the tragic situation in Israel. Our thoughts go out to all those impacted during this time.
•    The safety and security of our guests and crew is always our top priority. 
•    Given the current situation, we have canceled all scheduled calls to Israel for the remainder of 2023.
•    We are currently working through modified impacted sailings and will communicate the changes as soon as they are confirmed.  
•    We are closely monitoring the situation in Egypt, and currently, there are no itinerary changes. 
•    At this time there are no itinerary changes for voyages calling to Israel in 2024, however we will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as needed.

• Thanks 1

Also from NCL customer service

“However, given the fluid situation in Israel right now, and in an effort to provide added flexibility, guests reserved on voyages embarking or ending in Israel through the end of 2023 have the option to cancel their booking and receive a future cruise credit of the cruise fare, which may be used for sailings through Dec. 31, 2024 (N Epic. Nov. 8 & Nov. 20).”

So, cruises that have Israel ports in the middle of the cruise (like the Gem Nov 1 sailing that we’re on) do not have the option to cancel but still no news on alternate plans. 

35 minutes ago, OctoP said:

Also from NCL customer service

“However, given the fluid situation in Israel right now, and in an effort to provide added flexibility, guests reserved on voyages embarking or ending in Israel through the end of 2023 have the option to cancel their booking and receive a future cruise credit of the cruise fare, which may be used for sailings through Dec. 31, 2024 (N Epic. Nov. 8 & Nov. 20).”

So, cruises that have Israel ports in the middle of the cruise (like the Gem Nov 1 sailing that we’re on) do not have the option to cancel but still no news on alternate plans. 

You do not have the option to cancel because the cruise has not been cancelled. The ports specific to Israel have been cancelled. NCL will still give you the cruise of XX days that you booked - with some substitutions - and if you read the cruise contract to which you agreed on, you know that it is within their legal right.

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

You do not have the option to cancel because the cruise has not been cancelled. The ports specific to Israel have been cancelled. NCL will still give you the cruise of XX days that you booked - with some substitutions - and if you read the cruise contract to which you agreed on, you know that it is within their legal right.

Yes, I understand that. I was just passing along what I’d been told.

That said, do you happen to know the extent of their legal right? That is, do they have to come up with alternate ports, or could they just float around for a week?

5 hours ago, OctoP said:

Your Nov 1st itinerary out of Istanbul has the same ports we have for Nov 11th and 22nd. If those Egypt and Turkey ports are also cancelled the cruises will be 10+ day cruises to nowhere. Mystery Cruises. 

I am on the same Nov. 1, GEM cruise.  After the Alexandria incident, I am not sure if my party feels comfortable to go to that part of the world anymore. I contacted NCL customer service and asked to be transferred to NCL STAR doing Lisbon-Lisbon cruise with the same sailing date as Gem.  I hold the reservation for that cruise as option. Nice lady told me that she can not do it right now, because I would be a subject to cancellation policy and loose most of the fare money. But on Monday the company will decide on Egypt ports for GEM and offer options. She also mentioned that full refund might be offered. She also extended my reservation option with STAR until Oct. 18. We'll see what happens on Monday...  

• Like 1