Excursion Help

TcScott17

Hi, 

Me, my wife, and our son are going on a cruise at the end of the month. It’s our graduation presents, I graduated college he graduated high school. I know I’m a late bloomer. Can everyone share some excursions they have loved at the following locations? Roatan Bay Islands Honduras, Harvest Caye Belize, Costa Maya Mexico, and Cozumel Mexico. Also we are sailing on the Joy, any recommendations for the boat and things we should avoid? Thanks for any help given. We are hoping this is a great vacation for us. It’s the first time we are vacationing with our adult son. 

Congrats to you both! We did similar itinerary on NCL Joy back in 2019. We didn't do much excurstions, I know on Honduras we went to the island beach excursion through NCL which was fine but nothing special. For Harvest Caye we rented a cabana, now that was great and would recommend. 

If you have never been to any of these locations, I suggest that you look at NCL Shore Excursions.

(linked a few below).  You might want to select by activity level, depending upon your fitness levels.

Note: your Cruise reservation last page shows your itinerary.  It should list if you will dock or use Tenders (boats that will carry you to shore off the ship to the port).  That does matter, because you will need to make well thought out plans if you book impendent excursions.

We have been on many cruises to these locations, so here is a list of NCL Excursions we enjoyed:

Roatan: 

Horseback Ride & Swim = good

Tabyana Beach & Gumbalimba Preserve & Animal Sanctuary = good

West End Ultimate Kayak & Snorkel = very good

Jolly Roger Catamaran Sailing & Snorkeling with Lunch = very good

Harvest Caye: 

(Operated by Belizeans, and owned by NCLH ... can be costly.)

Be sure to walk around the island and see the wood carvings, the beautiful pool area, the bird and small animal sanctuary, the locals shops, and the flora and fauna!

We enjoyed:

Stand up Paddle Board Rental Enjoyable

Kayak Rental:  Enjoyable

Black Swan Electric Boat Cruise: Enjoyed the peacefulness of this boat ride, a different view of the island.

Luxury Beach Villa: We invited several guests to join us.  It was an extraordinarily chilly day, so we did not spend much time in the water.  The Villa suited the needs of everyone. We did order and pay for food and beverages while on the island.

Costa Maya:

Passion Island Beach Day We had a good time with friends.

Catamaran Cruise & Snorkel: Very enjoyable (if the weather is decent).

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins:  We had an excellent guide, learned plenty about the area, the Mayans, and their ways.

Cozumel:

Passion Island Beach Day: Good day!

Fury Catamaran Snorkel & Beach: Good.

Edited by ggTexasGal
added a word

Congratulations!! 
I recommend doing snorkeling or diving in Roatan.  They have the most beautiful reef.  I was there a month ago with a different line but I think NCL does the same private island excursion.  Other travelers complained about going ashore to the "town", so be sure to book something here.
I loved my the NCL tour to the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya.  It was way back in 2019 but I'm sure they are still there 😄   There was also an amazing free show right in the port with "flyers" in beautiful bird costumes performing a traditional pole dance.  I really hope they are still doing this, it was amazing!  

Cozumel's port is very commercialized.  You have to go through a maze of shopping before you can get to your tour.  I wasn't thrilled to be rerouted here due to a hurricane but still had fun on a catamaran and snorkel.  This again was last month with another line but there a ton of companies providing the same experience.  

Happy Cruising!

7 hours ago, TcScott17 said:

Hi, 

Me, my wife, and our son are going on a cruise at the end of the month. It’s our graduation presents, I graduated college he graduated high school. I know I’m a late bloomer. Can everyone share some excursions they have loved at the following locations? Roatan Bay Islands Honduras, Harvest Caye Belize, Costa Maya Mexico, and Cozumel Mexico. Also we are sailing on the Joy, any recommendations for the boat and things we should avoid? Thanks for any help given. We are hoping this is a great vacation for us. It’s the first time we are vacationing with our adult son. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Congratulations to both of you!!!

The Joy is a beautiful ship (we'll be sailing on her tomorrow). But, it is a big ship and several things require reservations. If you selected any specialty dining and don't have reservations yet, you need to do that as soon as you board. Similarly, there are two main shows in the Theater, Footloose and Elements which also require reservations. 

Complimentary dining (all the food you can eat) is included with your cruise fare. NCL embraces Freestyle Cruising and you show up to a restaurant when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule (no reservations required - maybe a short wait if you pick the busiest time). Sample as much or as little as you want (multiple appetizers, multiple entrees, multiple desserts). There are three main dining rooms: Manhattan Room, Taste, Savor. The serve the same dinner menu with the Manhattan Room open for dinner only and Taste and Savor open for breakfast and some lunches. There is also The Local Pub and Grill (open 24 hours a day), and the Garden Cafe Buffet. The Observation Lounge has a light breakfast and snacks until 5 pm. Dress is casual in all complimentary dining. 

As a frequent cruiser, I recommend experiencing everything you can. Even if it is peaking into shows for a few minutes (e.g., country music in Q BBQ every night after dinner, District Brew Hour piano music, music in all of the lounges). 

For the son, if is is over 18, you can sign a waiver that allows him to order beer and wine onboard. If he is 17 or under, he should enroll in the teen club. 

Snorkeling in Honduras is good. We're lazy, so we normally go to Maya Key Private Island (it is a short boat ride across the bay). You can rent snorkel gear and they will take you to the reef just off their pier. Lunch included. Small Mayan museum. Small rescue zoon. You have free run on the island and return to the ship at any time (shuttle run every 30 minutes). 

Harvest Caye is a beach day for us. We go out early to the beach and use the beach and the pool. When it starts to get too hot, we go back to the Joy for lunch (no free food or drink on the island, everything is independently run restaurants by the Belizean people)

I suggest visiting the ports of call forum for each of the ports and seeing what people are talking about there.

I did that exact cruise in 2022, on the same ship.

At Harvest Caye I did the Monkey River boat tour.

At Cozumel I did the bee sanctuary and tequila tasting

At Roatan I just got off the ship and walked the (small) shopping area, then got back on the ship

We skipped Costa Maya due to wind/waves.

I had a great time scuba diving in roatan.  If you're adventurous, give it a shot.  Did the Mexican cooking class in Cozumel and had fun.  That was over 10 years ago, so I don't know if the cooking class is still offered