Speed Limitation to Safeguard Marine Life?

Mrs_Tiki

DH and I depart on Friday on Odyssey's repositioning cruise from Vancouver to LA. We received notice of an itinerary change making our departure from San Francisco 6 hours earlier than planned due to speed limitations on the approach to Santa Barbara to protect marine life. Not a big deal other than decreasing our chance to see the Golden Gate as we sail under, as it is usually foggier in the early morning hours.

We are speculating that the marine life being protected might be migrating whales, but that is pure speculation. Does anyone have a definitive answer? 

We just disembarked from a Vancouver to San Diego cruise. The captain let us know that we had to slow to 10 knots for about 7 hours as we were passing through a marine wild life sensitive area off the coast of California, and to watch out for whales. 

It’s pretty darned awesome that they are doing this in my opinion. Seeing the aftermath of not doing so is Incredibly sad. What might make sense is for lines to post that during migration seasons that  may be impacted for that reason. I honestly think that might have a positive reaction among customers, and at the same time alleviate the frustration of not knowing why. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 11:52 PM, Vineyard View said:

It’s pretty darned awesome that they are doing this in my opinion. Seeing the aftermath of not doing so is Incredibly sad. What might make sense is for lines to post that during migration seasons that  may be impacted for that reason. I honestly think that might have a positive reaction among customers, and at the same time alleviate the frustration of not knowing why. 

I agree! 

Thanks to all for your informative replies. We will be on the lookout for whales!

Funny thing is that this is a cruise celebrating our 35th anniversary and the only time we have previously seen whales was during our 25th anniversary cruise in French Polynesia. But that time we were in the water with them!

• Like 1