Shore excursion purchase before cruise using OBC

seekatz

Can any of the pro's help with the question. Our cruise leaves in a few months and we have OBC and want to book excursions but do not see how to do it using OBC. I know once on the ship we can do it, but do not want to risk the tour being sold out. Thank you.

28 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You cannot use OBC prior to cruising. What I have done is book with credit card then once on ship go to shore excursions desk and have them change it.  YMMV

That is the only way to use OBC and it works fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

However, if you have purchased a “Have it All” promo package, you CAN book shore excursions and specialty restaurants online in advance using the HIA package credits identified for that purpose.

For example, if you want to buy a $79 excursion, it’s easy to apply your $100 pp excursion credit and still have a little left over to apply toward a different excursion. 

And it is also easy to cancel a HIA-funded excursion, get the credit back into your account instantly, and book something different. Which gives me hope that one of these days, HAL will let you use OBC prior to the cruise for shore ex. Celebrity has done this for years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Agree with others. You should definitely reserve with CC to ensure you get the space you want and then have them cancel and rebook onboard. With cruises as full as they are you are likely to see excursions sell out. 

15 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

And it is also easy to cancel a HIA-funded excursion, get the credit back into your account instantly, and book something different. Which gives me hope that one of these days, HAL will let you use OBC prior to the cruise for shore ex. Celebrity has done this for years.

I really wish they would do this, I wish they would update both this and also apply mariner discounts on specialty dining at time of purchase. Maybe one day...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

I have read, but not tried it myself, that if you call 3 days before your cruise, you are able to book shore excursions using OBC. Not positive but might be worth a try.

I did this back in 2019 and it worked.  But others have said it is no longer possible.  I no longer see the wording about calling in to book shorex if within three days of departure on the HAL website.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I did this back in 2019 and it worked.  But others have said it is no longer possible.  I no longer see the wording about calling in to book shorex if within three days of departure on the HAL website.

@SusieKIslandGirl cannot book shore excursions or other things 3 days prior to sail date. And cannot use OBC in advance, regardless of how close (or far) to sail date. Exception is HIA credits that @Caribbean Chris mentioned.

Best course is to book w/cc then go to Shire Exc Desk once onboard and have the excursions moved to OBC. Don't go to Guest Services, it has to be Shore Exc and must be before you do the excursions. 

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sure wish that HAL would join some of the other cruise lines in letting you book excursions ahead of time using OBC.  Next cruise we have alot of OBC and would love to book now instead of rushing to board and booking.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 7:45 AM, DaveOKC said:

I sure wish that HAL would join some of the other cruise lines in letting you book excursions ahead of time using OBC.  Next cruise we have alot of OBC and would love to book now instead of rushing to board and booking.

Agree. You can book now, though, to secure you spot then once on board make the mad dash to Shore Excursions to have them moved from CC to OBC.

On 10/11/2023 at 12:27 AM, Mary229 said:

You cannot use OBC prior to cruising. What I have done is book with credit card then once on ship go to shore excursions desk and have them change it.  YMMV

Do you just go and ask them to change the charging method even with it already being paid?  

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Do you have to worry about there being a waitlist for the excursion you want to modify payment on? Will they just change the payment method or is it a cancel and rebook situation and if so, do you get moved to the bottom of the waiting list? Thanks!

If you try to do it yourself, yes, you run the risk of being put at bottom of waitlist.

It's important you don't make any changes and just go to Shore Exchange Desk as soon as you board (and they're open) and have them do it. They can (and will) cancel your current booming and rebook using your OBC - even if the tours are sold out and waitlisted. All they're doing is changing your payment method, but it's not something you can do you're urself. Nor can Guest Services - it has to be the Shore Excursions Desk.

• Thanks 2