STEP?

auntieS

Leaving for Ancient Med Treasures (pre extension Istanbul) tomorrow!  Anyone ever register their cruise trips with STEP?  We have cruise/ pre and post (Athens 4 day) extensions/air/travel insurance all with Viking.  Not really worried about regional conflict affecting our cruise directly, and assume we would be taken care of by Viking if escalates and does affect our itinerary, but...worth registering just in case?

Edited by auntieS

I have registered us for years. It's on my "to do" list before every international trip. It makes it much harder for the US Government to help you if they don't know you are in a country when something happens there. It's really easy to use once you create an account with the State Department.

• 2 weeks later...

We have registered with STEP for at least 20 years. There were times when we would get alerting emails do not go to a particular part of the city with detailed map or do not go anywhere and stay at the hotel/house. It gives you peace of mind that people know where you are and could alert you and your family. It is crazy World right now 😒

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, pavementends said:

I started to register for STEP once and it seemed like it asked for a great deal of info (all my hotels? all my stops??). Do I remember wrong?

So I did not find it easy, and as the trip was a non-dangerous one (western Europe) I gave up.

23 minutes ago, vnb2003 said:

No, you remember right. They need to know where you are in case of emergency.

unfortunately, we all could see what could happened anywhere now…🙁

I signed up a week or so ago for a South America trip and a New Zealand trip.  I gave them my cell number and that was sufficient. I only had to specify the countries I was visiting with approximate dates. I didn't need to provide any hotel or port stop information.