First Cruise Nightmare

cruisefamilyholiday

I booked our first ever cruise. 

It is departing Genoa Italy on the 21st Oct for a one week sailing, one way to Israel. Arriving on the 27th. 

We have flights and hotels in Israel that have been cancelled due to the ongoing situation in tha part of the world. Which is disappointing, but understandable.

What is not understandable is the absolute lack of communication or update from MSC when we contact them.

We have so many unanswered questions. What do we do. Where will we be disembarked? We need to arrange flights back from wherever MSC dumps us, but we do not know where that will be. 

We also have two further destinations that we booked on the way back from Israel. Without any information on where the MSC Sinfonia will disembark us on the 27th, we do not know if we can utilize this part of our vacation.

I understand this is an abnormal day in MSC, but a week from departure do they not know where we are heading? Because I do not and it is really starting to worry me. 

Will we be dumped in Haifa with no flight available home, no hotel, no update on changes?

HELP?

Or maybe SOS 

13 minutes ago, cruisefamilyholiday said:

I booked our first ever cruise. 

It is departing Genoa Italy on the 21st Oct for a one week sailing, one way to Israel. Arriving on the 27th. 

We have flights and hotels in Israel that have been cancelled due to the ongoing situation in tha part of the world. Which is disappointing, but understandable.

What is not understandable is the absolute lack of communication or update from MSC when we contact them.

We have so many unanswered questions. What do we do. Where will we be disembarked? We need to arrange flights back from wherever MSC dumps us, but we do not know where that will be. 

We also have two further destinations that we booked on the way back from Israel. Without any information on where the MSC Sinfonia will disembark us on the 27th, we do not know if we can utilize this part of our vacation.

I understand this is an abnormal day in MSC, but a week from departure do they not know where we are heading? Because I do not and it is really starting to worry me. 

Will we be dumped in Haifa with no flight available home, no hotel, no update on changes?

HELP?

Or maybe SOS 

I cannot imagine what you are feeling about all of this right now.  We do so much long term planning and have every detail mapped out well in advance, then to have this kind of chaos dumped on you at the last minute....

I don't have any answers for you other than to say that MSC probably does not have answers and that is why you are not getting anything from them.

This is such a last minute conflict in relation to your itinerary dates and the conflict is in rapid motion and no one knows what is happening.

I am not defending MSC, but a cruise line cannot just make a decision to change ports or the complete itinerary without a lot of work and planning.  If they are going to change the entire itinerary, then they must book the ports, arrange shore excursions, supplies, food, all of that...

Sounds like you booked your flights yourself and not through MSC?

Very unfortunate for you, and not what you want to hear, but this will just be a waiting game for you.

Please make sure you are checking your junk mail to ensure that MSC notifications are not going to your junk folder...

There is discussion of this on the MSC board here.  MSC is currently not sending ships to Israel.  I believe one ship debarked Haifa bound passengers in Limassol , where they boarded Crown Iris (Israeli owned line) for Haifa.  Suggest you do some reading on the MSC board.  
PS.  I see you have already been posting about this on MSC board.  Why the extra post here?  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Perhaps most importantly for you, I hope you chose the right travel insurance: one that covers trip interrupt/delay due to terrorism.

As for communications from MSC (or any cruise line), recognize that when a cruise-heavy region becomes destabilized, the necessary logistical changes are extremely challenging and the last thing that is needed is for the cruise company to issue immediate itinerary changes that may need to be altered several times prior to your embarkation date.

Be calm. Be smart. All will work out.

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

There is discussion of this on the MSC board here.  MSC is currently not sending ships to Israel.  I believe one ship debarked Haifa bound passengers in Limassol , where they boarded Crown Iris (Israeli owned line) for Haifa.  Suggest you do some reading on the MSC board.  
PS.  I see you have already been posting about this on MSC board.  Why the extra post here?  EM

CruiseFamilyHoliday is probably worried about all the "tin hats" on that chat!  What a wonderful turn of phrase to encourage helpful advice from others!  Not!

image.png.10d2c7012abf4057acf06d97d871ebe5.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisefamilyholiday said:

HELP?

I try to help 🙂

The situation looks not so difficult. The logical disembarking point would of cause be Cyprus the day before Haifa was scheduled. There are lots of flights from Cyprus. Absolutely no problem to get back to Western Europe. Check ryanair.com 

I also think there is a high chance that MSC allows you to stay on board and go back with them all the way to Italy. Anyway nobody can take your cabin in Haifa. That surely would be the easiest solution. If your schedule not allows you to stay on the ship until Nov 1, you need to get off either in Cyprus or Greece. All have plenty of flights. If you are not familiar with flights in Europe, many airlines do everything to avoid bookings through 3rd party / travel agents. And the flights can sometimes only be found only through their websites, so don´t waste time, go directly there.  

• Thanks 1