Southampton-London Transfers - Airport (LHR/LGW) - NEW THREAD!

Host Anne

11 hours ago, WyKnott said:

British post codes are confusing to we foreigners.

W5 is the Ealing postal district - so "W5" is almost a synonym for "Ealing", which (as I said) covers a large area.

However, a full postcode is very specific. For example, W5 1LP (picked completely at random) comprises numbers 63, 65, 67, 69, 71 and 73 Meadvale Road, and only those six addresses. But you can see how far that is away from any public transport into town.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sky Princess transatlantic arriving on Mar 25 at 7am.  We plan to take the walk off option to leave the ship as soon as possible.  If by 8:30am we can walk off and taxi is available outside, we can make it to Nat'l Express coach station around 9:15am?

I bought the 2 out of the last 3 available 9:45am Nat'l Express coach to LHR. 

Our flight is at 4pm to BER.  Purposely get such a late flight in business class for fear we might miss the 9:45am coach to LHR T5.   If we arrive LHR T5 before 12 noon, we would just head to the BA lounge to kill time.  But the 4pm flight would give us a wee bit of room should we not make the 9:45am coach...  The 2nd bus would arrive at 13:30...

We will be disembarking as early as possible and walking off with our own luggage. We also will be hiring a private transport to bring us to LHR. Is it possible to make a 12:10 flight back to the USA? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 4:03 AM, nho9504 said:

Sky Princess transatlantic arriving on Mar 25 at 7am.  We plan to take the walk off option to leave the ship as soon as possible.  If by 8:30am we can walk off and taxi is available outside, we can make it to Nat'l Express coach station around 9:15am?

Our flight is at 4pm to BER.  Purposely get such a late flight in business class for fear we might miss the 9:45am coach to LHR T5.   If we arrive LHR T5 before 12 noon, we would just head to the BA lounge to kill time.  But the 4pm flight would give us a wee bit of room should we not make the 9:45am coach...  The 2nd bus would arrive at 13:30...

That should be fine. I’d have thought you could be off the ship earlier than 8:30 with a 7am arrival, but even 8:30 shouldn’t be a problem as it’s only a 10 minute cab ride.

Is your flight a simple one-way or return LHR-BER ticket booked with money (not miles)?

If so, BA allows a free space-available change to another flight on the same day, so if you’re early and there’s still space you may be able to rebook to the 1:50pm or even 12:55pm flight instead of wasting 2-3 hours in the lounge.

You can do that on the BA app but only on the day (from midnight UK time) - and not if the LHR-BER flight is part of a multi-city itinerary eg LAX-LHR-BER-LHR-LAX.

Edited by gumshoe958

19 hours ago, kflietst said:

We will be disembarking as early as possible and walking off with our own luggage. We also will be hiring a private transport to bring us to LHR. Is it possible to make a 12:10 flight back to the USA? 

All being well yes, although it’s on the tight side, particularly if it’s a weekday as the traffic can be very heavy.

I’d want to be on the road by about 7:30 if it’s a weekday, 8am if it’s a weekend. With a clear run it’s just under 90 minutes but could easily be longer if it’s busy.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 4:03 AM, nho9504 said:

When ships quote Southampton at something like 5.30am they mean the time that they start to tie-up, and disembarkation is from about 7am.

When they quote Southampton something like 7 - 7.30am they usually mean disembarkation from that time.

But whichever, you should be fine for the 09.45 coach 🙂

JB 🙂

23 hours ago, kflietst said:

What day-of-the-week ? 

(preferably actual date in case it's a UK holiday weekend)

I've known folk to make flights as early as 11.30, but even 12.10 is tight, depending on traffic.

Is there a suitable flight later same-day?

JB 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

What day-of-the-week ? 

I think that kflietst may be disembarking on Tuesday 24 September 2024.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I think that kflietst may be disembarking on Tuesday 24 September 2024.

Thanks, G. 

Weekday commuters then, mainly  from about halfway to LHR.

Slow, but the real risk is an out-of-the-ordinary hold-up  - lane closures, shunts, etc. And from about Lightwater onwards much of the road is all-lanes-running with no hard shoulder, so even a broken-down car can create a bottleneck. 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

What day-of-the-week ? 

I've known folk to make flights as early as 11.30, but even 12.10 is tight, depending on traffic.

Is there a suitable flight later same-day?

JB 🙂

Not really any good option other than the 12:10.   We will be flying out on a Tuesday, September 24. So far, our flights have been changed twice, so...if they move it any earlier. we will abort. Hopefully the next change will be LATER!  Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Posted (edited)

Important information for anyone transferring between Gatwick Airport (LGW) and Southampton:

From 2nd June, the existing hourly direct train is being axed. It will be replaced by a half hourly (hourly on Sundays) indirect service involving a change of trains en route at Barnham.

There’ll be no need to change platform at Barnham, so no stairs or long walks involved, but it’ll add 20-30 minutes to journey times as well as the inconvenience of having to load & unload luggage twice.

Unfortunately, apart from one service late at night, there are no direct coaches between Gatwick & Southampton so the train will remain the only realistic option for those who prefer not to use a taxi or private car transfer.

Note this does not affect London Heathrow (LHR) which is by far the more frequently used airport by cruisers from outside Europe.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 11:09 AM, kurtp13 said:

I would like transportation from Southampton to LHR.   My flight is 4 pm.   Standard transportation would get me there by 11 am based on what I have been reading which is early.    Tour transfers would arrive too late.  

Are there options for a trip which would have a brief stop somewhere?   I want to minimize my baggage handling so I don't want a multi step trip to London and public transport from there to LHR.   

This is exactly our situation for this coming September 

On 1/14/2024 at 1:55 PM, Globaliser said:

Unless you have vast amounts of luggage (in which case you could exceed the baggage limitations for National Express), dealing with luggage on these trains isn't difficult. Millions of people travel on trains with their luggage, all over the country. It may sometimes require a bit of improvisation, but we're all doing that all the time.

Ya but for elderly   Folks It could be very challenging.    Just saying 

4 hours ago, SEA DOGY said:

Ya but for elderly folks it could be very challenging.

Of course. Public transport (whether by air, rail or road) is always going to be more challenging to those who aren't as physically able. That's one of the reasons that train operating companies are required to provide assistance for anyone who needs it. More details are available here: www.nationalrail.co.uk/help-and-assistance/passenger-assist.

But to be frank, if a passenger's limitations mean that all of this is too difficult, then the answer will probably be to take private transport instead.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Of course. Public transport (whether by air, rail or road) is always going to be more challenging to those who aren't as physically able. That's one of the reasons that train operating companies are required to provide assistance for anyone who needs it. More details are available here: www.nationalrail.co.uk/help-and-assistance/passenger-assist.

But to be frank, if a passenger's limitations mean that all of this is too difficult, then the answer will probably be to take private transport instead.

We travel with a manual wheelchair (meaning I push Mr. Blue) and we have used the train for a wonderful day trip from our London hotel to Canterbury (highly recommend). But that was without the pressure of time or the burden of suitcases…it was just a daytime adventure for the two of us. Once inside the train station, we did have someone from the train help see us on and seated. 
However, we always use a private car for transfers to/from the airport and London to Southampton, etc. Whenever we can make travel easier, we do. Direct flights, fewer transfers, fewer steps…it always helps. 
For us, it is not only about the physical limitations of age or ability. Simplifying a trip also helps with the mental load of travel…something I’m not sure one can understand without having traveled under these circumstances. We've had years of practice and intend to keep going 😉

I'm taking the Princess shuttle from Southampton to LHR.  Has anyone taken and knows where they drop you off.  We're staying in Aerotel near Terminal 3 to be close to our American Airlines departure the next day.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:13 PM, gumshoe958 said:

Important information for anyone transferring between Gatwick Airport (LGW) and Southampton:

From 2nd June, the existing hourly direct train is being axed. It will be replaced by a half hourly (hourly on Sundays) indirect service involving a change of trains en route at Barnham.

There’ll be no need to change platform at Barnham, so no stairs or long walks involved, but it’ll add 20-30 minutes to journey times as well as the inconvenience of having to load & unload luggage twice.

Unfortunately, apart from one service late at night, there are no direct coaches between Gatwick & Southampton so the train will remain the only realistic option for those who prefer not to use a taxi or private car transfer.

Note this does not affect London Heathrow (LHR) which is by far the more frequently used airport by cruisers from outside Europe.

A little clarification is needed here.

The hourly direct train from Gatwick to Southampton now runs direct to Portsmouth.

Southampton-bound passengers should still catch that train, but about 50 minutes into its journey change at little Barnham Station to a Southampton-bound train - it'll come along on the same platform 22 minutes later. So your total journey time will about 25 minutes longer

But's still an hourly service.

The other hourly service has always been there, has always involved a change of train. But it goes via a different route, via a comparatively awkward change at Clapham Junction - shaves 30 minutes off the total journey time but costs twice as much.

(Its your only option on sundays)

A third option, not really worth it unless time is against you and you've just missed the first two options, is also via Clapham Junction and throws in another awkward change at Basingstoke.

The route which goes via a simple change at Barnham (currently leaving Gatwick at 39 minutes past the hour) is the one I'd recommend.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Click on Journey details to confirm its via Barnham

JB 🙂

On 11/25/2023 at 9:31 AM, bwgreen said:

After reading this thread, and the older one, I am now trying to decide between several transfer companies.  I am looking at three transfers - Heathrow -> Southampton, Southampton -> London, and London -> Heathrow.  The companies I am looking at are:  Meadway Cars, Jewels Airport Transfers, Aquacars, West Quay Cars & International Friends (I don't have a quote back from them as yet).  Does anyone have any recommendation for whom to use?

Thanks!

I am also looking at the same transfers as you have listed. Have you booked through any of these companies yet? Please let me know, what you decided to do. Thank you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jagggg said:

I am also looking at the same transfers as you have listed. Have you booked through any of these companies yet? Please let me know, what you decided to do. Thank you.

After some reading, and looking at quotes, I decided to book through a company called Meadway.  I don't have first-hand experience with them (yet!), but I hope it all goes well!  We made a slight change to two of our transfers - Heathrow -> Southampton with the pick\up at Terminal 2, and a stop at Terminal 5,; and London Hotel to Heathrow, ending at Terminal 4 with a stop at T2. 

• Thanks 1

We are disembarking in Southampton on a Sunday and are staying in London near the Waterloo station that night. Do I need to purchase train tickets ahead of time?  I am looking at the direct Southampton to Waterloo on Southwestern Railway that leaves every half hour. Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Fischmom said:

We are disembarking in Southampton on a Sunday and are staying in London near the Waterloo station that night. Do I need to purchase train tickets ahead of time?  I am looking at the direct Southampton to Waterloo on Southwestern Railway that leaves every half hour. Thanks!

You can simply buy a ticket on the day at Southampton central station  - the fare is £45.20 pp 😮

But if you buy an advance ticket it can cost as little as £9.70 🙂. That's a powerful incentive to pre-book.

Advance tickets are available from about 12 weeks out.

Advance fares are dynamic, they creep up as the travel date approaches. A few days out they may be up to as much as £25 - or unavailable, leaving a £45 ticket at the station as your only option.

Check out fares for a few up-coming sundays on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ 

(the national rail site)

The prices shown are for advance fares - click on the yellow "continue" panel to see the full price  (full price is for off-peak times, but sundays are off-peak all day long)

Shorthand for Southampton central is SOU, for London Waterloo it's WAT  

The one negative with advance tickets is that they're only good for the train time that you book - if you miss it your advance tickets are trash & you'll have to buy full-price walk-up tickets for the next train.

Unassisted disembarkation at Southampton is at about 7am, with standard disembarkation from 7.30am. So I suggest that about 10 weeks out you book for a train around 9am to 10am - if you're allocated a late disembarkation slot ask for an earlier slot at Guest Services, citing your onward travel arrangements.

Much more complicated than it need be 🥴 - simplification is promised in due course, but don't hold your breath 🙄.

JB 🙂

15 hours ago, John Bull said:

You can simply buy a ticket on the day at Southampton central station  - the fare is £45.20 pp 😮

But if you buy an advance ticket it can cost as little as £9.70 🙂. That's a powerful incentive to pre-book.

Advance tickets are available from about 12 weeks out.

Advance fares are dynamic, they creep up as the travel date approaches. A few days out they may be up to as much as £25 - or unavailable, leaving a £45 ticket at the station as your only option.

Check out fares for a few up-coming sundays on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ 

(the national rail site)

The prices shown are for advance fares - click on the yellow "continue" panel to see the full price  (full price is for off-peak times, but sundays are off-peak all day long)

Shorthand for Southampton central is SOU, for London Waterloo it's WAT  

The one negative with advance tickets is that they're only good for the train time that you book - if you miss it your advance tickets are trash & you'll have to buy full-price walk-up tickets for the next train.

Unassisted disembarkation at Southampton is at about 7am, with standard disembarkation from 7.30am. So I suggest that about 10 weeks out you book for a train around 9am to 10am - if you're allocated a late disembarkation slot ask for an earlier slot at Guest Services, citing your onward travel arrangements.

Much more complicated than it need be 🥴 - simplification is promised in due course, but don't hold your breath 🙄.

JB 🙂

Endorsing what JB has said, but remember that when Advance tickets are particularly cheap you could consider buying one for a train you'd hope to get and another - as an insurance policy - for a later train that you'd have a high probability of catching.  That way you get the potential benefit of an early departure (and arrival at your destination) for a known cost.

Boy I wish I had booked the Eurostar for Jun 30th weeks ago. I couldn't find out how likely I could get to the SOU Central Station to get the train to Waterloo. Looks like the Waterloo to St Pancras means a change of tube line or the black cabs, which are expensive. I should have noticed that the Eurostar were changeable up to 7 days prior and purchased one then. It is now almost 3 times the price. Will book it now and hope someone that has done this before can give an idea as to how long it takes to get to SOU Central (I know it is only a couple miles, but having to get a taxi takes time), and whether it is difficult taking the tube from Waterloo to St Pancras or bite the bullet and get a black cab. Then I have to decide on the Eurostar. That one is changeable less than 7 days but is $40 plus fare change to the new train. Everything is tight, because of changing stations in Paris to get to Bayeux. It will be a stressful day, but not so much if I know when I can get to SOU Central. Moral: Book the Eurostar if you know the day and approximate time. You can change up to 7 days prior for free.

5 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Endorsing what JB has said, but remember that when Advance tickets are particularly cheap you could consider buying one for a train you'd hope to get and another - as an insurance policy - for a later train that you'd have a high probability of catching.  That way you get the potential benefit of an early departure (and arrival at your destination) for a known cost.

Yes, you certainly don't want to risk booking only a very early train and finding that because of a delay in the cruise terminal or the taxi line you miss it and have to pay another £45 a-piece.

So buying cheap tickets for two trains is worth considering, it depends how keen you are to arrive early in the big bad city.

I'd advise against, because the wasted ticket would cost more than 2 beers

But they say you should never take advice from an alcoholic 😏

JB 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 6:54 PM, BentPicketRanchGirl said:

Boy I wish I had booked the Eurostar for Jun 30th weeks ago. I couldn't find out how likely I could get to the SOU Central Station to get the train to Waterloo. Looks like the Waterloo to St Pancras means a change of tube line or the black cabs, which are expensive. I should have noticed that the Eurostar were changeable up to 7 days prior and purchased one then. It is now almost 3 times the price. Will book it now and hope someone that has done this before can give an idea as to how long it takes to get to SOU Central (I know it is only a couple miles, but having to get a taxi takes time), and whether it is difficult taking the tube from Waterloo to St Pancras or bite the bullet and get a black cab. Then I have to decide on the Eurostar. That one is changeable less than 7 days but is $40 plus fare change to the new train. Everything is tight, because of changing stations in Paris to get to Bayeux. It will be a stressful day, but not so much if I know when I can get to SOU Central. Moral: Book the Eurostar if you know the day and approximate time. You can change up to 7 days prior for free.

Yes, I’m afraid you’ve found out the hard way that Eurostar’s best fares can sell out very quickly. Dynamic pricing in action I’m afraid.

Waterloo to St Pancras should be a lot easier than it is by tube but annoyingly involves a change and a lot of dragging your luggage on to and off trains and escalators and along busy corridors.

So I would recommend a cab or an Uber.

A cab from the ship to Southampton Central should take no more than 10-15 minutes, depending on the terminal. If you’re off the ship early there’s rarely much of a line.