Coastal Classic From Anchorage to Seward

KarriLena

Hi! My family and I just booked a cruise leaving from Seward on July 19, 2024 with RCCL. We had been planning to take the Coastal Classic train down to Seward from Anchorage the morning of, but it's showing as completely sold out. It's actually showing as completely sold out through the entire summer of 2024. Does anyone have experience with this? Do more seats open up at some point, or should I just start looking for alternative transport down to Seward?

Thanks so much!

@KarriLena have you tried calling the Alaska Railroad to discuss your concern?  Perhaps they are not taking reservations yet or there is some type of mechanical issue.  I find it interesting that there is no availability for the entire summer season -- seems odd.

20 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

@KarriLena have you tried calling the Alaska Railroad to discuss your concern?  Perhaps they are not taking reservations yet or there is some type of mechanical issue.  I find it interesting that there is no availability for the entire summer season -- seems odd.

They are closed on Sunday, so I will definitely be calling tomorrow. I find it odd also, and I'm impatient lol.

3 hours ago, KarriLena said:

Hi! My family and I just booked a cruise leaving from Seward on July 19, 2024 with RCCL. We had been planning to take the Coastal Classic train down to Seward from Anchorage the morning of, but it's showing as completely sold out. It's actually showing as completely sold out through the entire summer of 2024. Does anyone have experience with this? Do more seats open up at some point, or should I just start looking for alternative transport down to Seward?

No, the train is not "sold out." There is simply a glitch in the system that, at least presently, does not allow for passengers to book themselves. Try again during the week, or give a call.

Also, I assume that you will be staying in Anchorage for a few a days prior to embarking the cruise vessel, and that is the reason for wanting to board the train so early in the morning in downtown Anchorage. Many passengers will instead travel on the afternoon train to Seward, departing from the station at the airport. Although the afternoon train is also owned and operated by the Alaska Railroad, it is charter for which tickets are sold by Royal Caribbean International.

2 minutes ago, GTJ said:

No, the train is not "sold out." There is simply a glitch in the system that, at least presently, does not allow for passengers to book themselves. Try again during the week, or give a call.

Also, I assume that you will be staying in Anchorage for a few a days prior to embarking the cruise vessel, and that is the reason for wanting to board the train so early in the morning in downtown Anchorage. Many passengers will instead travel on the afternoon train to Seward, departing from the station at the airport. Although the afternoon train is also owned and operated by the Alaska Railroad, it is charter for which tickets are sold by Royal Caribbean International.

Thank you very much for the information! We will be staying in Anchorage for a few days prior, but I didn't know there was a charter train through Royal Caribbean. There isn't an option to book it in the cruise planner, so I guess I will be making a call to them tomorrow as well.

Thanks again!

10 minutes ago, KarriLena said:

Thank you very much for the information! We will be staying in Anchorage for a few days prior, but I didn't know there was a charter train through Royal Caribbean. There isn't an option to book it in the cruise planner, so I guess I will be making a call to them tomorrow as well.

Thanks again!

I’d recommend doing that early train, then a 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour. You get back in plenty of time to board the ship, which I’m assuming departs at 8 (so all aboard probably by 630).

We did this in 2013 via Kenai Fjords Tours in early June.  Highly recommend!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KarriLena said:

We will be staying in Anchorage for a few days prior, but I didn't know there was a charter train through Royal Caribbean. There isn't an option to book it in the cruise planner, so I guess I will be making a call to them tomorrow as well.

The chartered train is less convenient if you're staying for a few days in Anchorage because the train departs from the airport, not from downtown. The schedule does not require that very early morning wake-up, but it also means that it does not work well if you desire to do any activities in Seward. The charter train schedule is designed for direct embarkation . . . the chartered train does not go to the railroad station in Seward, but to the port terminal building itself (a few blocks away). So you have a bit of a balancing act between the two trains.

Alaskatrain.com is a website for Alaska Tour & Travel, a reputable third-party travel agent. Alaska Tour & Travel has the advantage of also being an agent for Tour Alaska (corporate affiliate of Princess Cruises and Holland America Line) and Premier Alaska Tours, two companies that operate private railcars, and sell railroad tickets to the general public, between Anchorage and points north. Alaska Travel & Tour is also a broker for Premier Alaska Tours for its "Park Connection" motorcoach services between Seward, Anchorage, Denali, and intermediate points. In short, the company is a reliable place from which a variety of transportation tickets might be purchased. Just keep in mind that it is a middleman, and does not operate any transportation whatsoever, itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much to everyone for all of your help and suggestions! My husband and I are definitely looking into the Kenai Fjords trip now.

I spoke with someone at Alaska Railroad, and she said that it is a system error and to just keep checking back as they are working on it. She said it could take a couple weeks.

Thanks again!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Karri - Once I understood that our luggage is checked at the train station and taken to our ship room, it was an easier decision to be adventurous in Seward.    We booked the 6 hr Kenai Fjord tour … step off the train – 5 min walk to Kenai boat and away we go..back at 5:30 with plenty of time to board our cruise.  (hopefully it works this smoothly  🙂 ) 

Edited by sr71_1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KarriLena said:

I spoke with someone at Alaska Railroad, and she said that it is a system error . . . . She said it could take a couple weeks.

With all due respect to the railroad, that's not an acceptable time frame. The website is the railroad's portal to the world with respect to its passenger service, and few things can be more important for passenger ticket sales than its website. The railroad should be throwing all resources at the problem--engaging outside programmers if need be--to get it fixed sooner than "a couple weeks."

Our cruise ends in Whittier on June 1 and we plan on spending the night in Anchorage then taking a train to Seward for 2 nights and doing a boat tour in Seward before heading back to fly out of Anchorage.  We were originally going to rent a car but the options were more expensive so thanks for the information. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 12:12 PM, KarriLena said:

Thanks so much!

The internet calendar isn’t up yet.  They told us this when we called.  We booked  it through Alaska Tour and Travel. They get a block of tickets. 

Edited by jclandr54