Hotel/Car parking

majortom10

Never stayed in hotel and left my car for the duration of cruise at hotel. Anyone have any recommendations and is the car left in general hotel car park or in a more secure area. Priced up CPS for July and want £243 for 14nts so instead of staying at HIE and using CPS looking at hotel with included parking. Many thanks in advance.

We booked an overnight with parking at the Hilton Aegeas in August and left our car there for the duration of our 3 week cruise. The cost was slightly less than parking with CPS and the benefit (apart from the B+B aspect) was the ability to self park in their main car park. Included in the cost was a taxi to and from the terminal. We pre-booked on arrival and it arrived the following morning on time. On our return to Southampton, we rang the taxi company to take us back to the Hilton. I would definitely use the stay/park there again without any hesitation. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Never stayed in hotel and left my car for the duration of cruise at hotel. Anyone have any recommendations and is the car left in general hotel car park or in a more secure area. Priced up CPS for July and want £243 for 14nts so instead of staying at HIE and using CPS looking at hotel with included parking. Many thanks in advance.

We always use Parking4Cruises, they operate similar to CPS but you deliver the car to them in the short stay car park, and their charges are much lower than CPS.

• Like 2

We normally stay at the premier inn and park our car in the multi storey next to the hotel. It’s £5 a night parking and very secure.

in two weeks time we will be staying at the Moxy hotel ( £100 for the room with breakfast included) and it is next door to the premier inn so again parking in the multi storey.

2 hours ago, Golfwidow100 said:

We booked an overnight with parking at the Hilton Aegeas in August and left our car there for the duration of our 3 week cruise. The cost was slightly less than parking with CPS and the benefit (apart from the B+B aspect) was the ability to self park in their main car park. Included in the cost was a taxi to and from the terminal. We pre-booked on arrival and it arrived the following morning on time. On our return to Southampton, we rang the taxi company to take us back to the Hilton. I would definitely use the stay/park there again without any hesitation. 

Another one who would book the Ageas as said above the taxis were spot on and car parking plentiful . Nothing much around but a 5 minute run in the car takes you to a nice pub (West End Brewery)

This has reasonable meals at a fair price ,unlike the hotels nearby .

We would use again .

Screenshot_20231016_154302_Photos.thumb.jpg.d657d7478692373f2ab8cb7a6f6f8714.jpg

20230914_142439.thumb.jpg.08524286a0e11f4070a7eaca36eca63c.jpg

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

Very few (if any) of the City Centre hotels have secure parking, often just CCTV. I've used the Holiday Inn a few times without any problem. Elizabeth House to the north of the centre is popular. Outside of Southampton, Chilworth Manor is nice.

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We always use Parking4Cruises, they operate similar to CPS but you deliver the car to them in the short stay car park, and their charges are much lower than CPS.

Yes we have used them in the past. Just a bit concerned after seeing a few reviews where they have parked cars in a different place than they say on their website. E-mailed them a few weeks ago to ask where they store cars and have not responded which increases my concerns.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

E-mailed them a few weeks ago to ask where they store cars and have not responded which increases my concerns

I’d be more concerned if they HAD responded to an email from some random person asking where they stored my parked car !

I've parked in the ibis/Novotel car park on a few occasions now without issue, although I didn't stay at the hotel (you can pay for the parking separately at around £4/day). The hotels which share the car park do packages including parking for 8 or 15 nights.

Alternatively as already has been suggested you can park at the Westquay multi storey, £5/day, pay on exit which is located next to the Premier Inn.

35 minutes ago, NavyPanda said:

Alternatively as already has been suggested you can park at the Westquay multi storey, £5/day, pay on exit which is located next to the Premier Inn.

I believe the parking charges have very recently been increased to £6 at Westquay 

16 hours ago, mklions said:

We normally stay at the premier inn and park our car in the multi storey next to the hotel. It’s £5 a night parking and very secure.

in two weeks time we will be staying at the Moxy hotel ( £100 for the room with breakfast included) and it is next door to the premier inn so again parking in the multi storey.

We didn't even stay at Premier Inn but just drove to the multi storey next to the Premier Inn and Moxy Hotel. Cost was just 35 pounds for 7 nights when we used Iona for the Fjords. Great car park. 

We actually walked with cases from there to the cruise ship. Takes 15 minutes. Next time would drop my wife with cases just outside the terminal (to avoid getting stuck in terminal traffic) then park then walk to her without the cases. On way back I walked to fetch the car whilst she waited with cases inside terminal. 

Again next time would have walked the cases outside the terminal first and then fetched the car as terminal traffic once inside can have you waiting 15 mins plus to get out again. 

Several who  used the same car park were just booking taxis to outside Moxy hotel entrance to then do the very short taxi transfer to the terminal. 

Basically it's a car park open to the public so you don't need to stay in either the Moxy or Premier inn to take advantage of the much lower cost than the official cruise car parks

Seemed very safe car park to me as well - very busy and well patrolled 

Would imagine taxi transfer either way would be less than 10 pounds. So much cheaper alternative to the normal cruise parking for those that want a bargain. We like to get some steps in though when we get the chance!

It's just behind the Carnival Offices. I imagine Carnival staff park there

I would have to think the security at this car park is as good as at all the local hotels if not better

Edit this is the west quay multi storey that now is 6 pounds per day not 5 pounds

Highly recommended 

It also allows you to choose less expensive hotels (or nicer located hotels) outside Southampton and then drive in for those who are travelling far

We stayed In Winchester the night before I seem to remember then drove in via a nice lunch stop on the way

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

Taxi from West Quay probably about £8 . If I am sailing from Mayflower I drop my luggage of and then go and park at Town Quay ( Where Red Funnel and Red Jet go from ) and get a taxi back. It is anywhere between £8 - £10 depending on the traffic and if he can take a short cut through City/ Horizon entrance. Interesting fact last driver was telling me. The drivers who want to pick up from terminals have to pay  extra every year to buy a special permit to be allowed to pick up form there. Just under £200 . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

a special permit to be allowed to pick up form there. Just under £200 . 

But look at the amount of business that they get from it - probably pays for it tips😄

Personally I would not want to leave my car in a public car park for one, or more, weeks and certainly not a multi-storey after what happened at Luton last week (also a similar incident at a multi-storey in Liverpool a few years ago).

If I have paid several thousand pounds for a cruise I don't have a problem with another couple of hundred for secure parking.

13 minutes ago, david63 said:

But look at the amount of business that they get from it - probably pays for it tips😄

Personally I would not want to leave my car in a public car park for one, or more, weeks and certainly not a multi-storey after what happened at Luton last week (also a similar incident at a multi-storey in Liverpool a few years ago).

If I have paid several thousand pounds for a cruise I don't have a problem with another couple of hundred for secure parking.

I paid less than 1k for my cruise on Iona for 2 (499 each to be precise)

What I saved on parking we more than spent in Winchester the night before and lunch on the day of the cruise though! So it's swings and roundabouts

We all take our choices on what we want to spend our money on of course

I would suggest many multi storey car parks now are much safer than hotel car parks with free parking for holidaymakers included. They tend not to have 24 HR security. Whereas the better multi storeys now have lots of extra security features 

The cruise parking I'm sure by and large is very safe. But you have to pay a couple of hundred as you say. 

I actually used the multi storey as by the time I tried to book the cruise parking next to the ship it was fully booked

And some other options seemed flakey but  still expensive 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

I park at West Quay for work and find it very satisfactory. There is CCTV and is always busy. It offers very cheap evening parking was £2 after 5 so very popular especially as it’s near so many restaurants and the cinema. 

Yes, I can second that. Often meet with friends for an evening out in Southampton and wouldn't park anywhere else. 

Having to navigate the M25, we usually book a park and stay package at the Holiday Inn next to Mayflower park, but it is usually a hefty amount though. For us with the car is around £300, and our son’s room another £150.

On our next cruise however, our son’s cabin OBC was £90, and reduced to £45 if he took the parking. So we will use ‘his £45’, and stay at a cheaper priced hotel further away the night before, but south of the M25.

Just a tip above for others booking two cabins, if one has much less OBC you can make use of the cheaper parking offer with it.

• Thanks 2