Odyssey Spacious OV or Balcony Guarantee

Hi All

We recently booked a Balcony Guarantee on the Odyssey 2/3-2/11/24. I was not given the option to "pick your room". Now it looks like the balconies are all sold out on this sailing.

My question is this. I saw that a Deck 11 forward facing "spacious oceanview" cabin is available for just a small amount more money. Should I book the OV instead of risking an obstructed view balcony cabin? 

I am thinking my odds are not great to get a decent balcony cabin with the category already sold out. The spacious Oceanview has a large window looking forward. That looks cool to me. 

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Mary

Edited by massfamilyof4

Hello,

I don't have experience with the spacious oceanview cabins, but I did book a balcony guarantee on a sold out sailing coming up in a few weeks.  After final payment was due, our ship was no longer sold out and we ended up being assigned a great balcony cabin.  Just wanted to share our recent experience in case it helps with your decision making.

1 hour ago, massfamilyof4 said:

Hi All

We recently booked a Balcony Guarantee on the Odyssey 2/3-2/11/24. I was not given the option to "pick your room". Now it looks like the balconies are all sold out on this sailing.

My question is this. I saw that a Deck 11 forward facing "spacious oceanview" cabin is available for just a small amount more money. Should I book the OV instead of risking an obstructed view balcony cabin? 

I am thinking my odds are not great to get a decent balcony cabin with the category already sold out. The spacious Oceanview has a large window looking forward. That looks cool to me. 

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Mary

I wouldnt pay extra for a OV, I'd wait it out and see what you are assigned. It will be at least a balcony. 

Aren't the SOV cabins waaaaay up in the bow.  I agree with Biker19:  wait until jumping for that particular cabin.  Also, the huge windows can be a serious heat-gain issue in the cabin, and you have to pull the curtains closed to keep the cabin cool.

Kind of like a Promenade View cabin:  you end up with MANY of your unknown friends getting a view of you and your cabin, so the curtains need to be closed, and, VOILA! instant inside cabin!!

Personally, I wouldn’t do it.  While I enjoy the view from forward facing windows, some of the space in those cabins has a sloped ceiling.  That space is probably most useful if you have little kids who will be playing on the floor and using a pack-n-play, but for bigger people the cabin may look a bit bigger than it lives.  I’d be more likely to consider an ultra spacious OV cabin if it were close in price.  As ultra spacious cabins typically are much larger, the extra space inside might be a worthy trade off for a balcony (especially as the balcony might be obstructed).

Just because the balconies are currently sold out on your cruise does not indicate that you will or will not be assigned an obstructed balcony.  Furthermore, not all balconies listed as obstructed are badly obstructed.