Really bad reviews on Getaway

The Med

We were looking at a cruise on The Getaway from New York leaving in January.

We only cruised NCL once before, on the Epic about 4 years ago so I thought that I’d read some reviews to get a feel of what’s what.

Oh, my goodness, the reviews are dreadful, I haven’t come across a good one yet.

The comments range from overcrowding everywhere, 45 minute queues to get on and off tenders, nowhere to sit in the buffet, all speciality restaurants booked up once you get onboard, all excursions booked if you happen to be a late booking, 45 minute queues to get into main restaurant with no queue separating those who have booked and those that haven’t.Also no quiet areas to sit and read, a screen on constantly in main atrium.Disorganised staff, people coughing all over the buffet, no sanitiser offered on entering restaurants.

Can anyone either confirm this or offer a more positive experience?

To be honest, it’s completely put us off booking.

First of all , keep in mind that unhappy people will post their experiences more often than someone who had a wonderful cruise.

However, many of the things you mention are just the way it is many places, not just on a popular cruise. There will be lines for tenders - no way to get a few thousand people off instantly. Book an NCL excursion and you will have priority for the time of your excursion. Yes, some excursions sell out just like tickets to anything, FCFS.  Buffet will be crowded at popular times, restaurants will be at capacity, again just like anywhere else.

Haven't been on the Getaway recently but as far as I know, every ship has a library if you can't find a quiet place to sit and read.  And every ship has washy-washy people and/or sanitizer at the restaurants in my experience.  People coughing?  That's everywhere.

• Like 4

I cruised Getaway three times between April, 2022 and January, 2023. My information is dated, but you may find my reviews/lives helpful. There were certainly some hiccups, but I would book Getaway again in a NYC minute!! 

You should follow this review as @CruisnHallelujahs will be embarking on 10/22 and posting a live review:

Here are links to my review and lives of Getaway:

1. Getaway Easter Sailing - April, 2022 (first cruise on NCL) - review

2. Getaway September Sailing - September, 2022 - live

3. Getaway New Year's Sailing - 2022/2023 - live

• Like 4

I'm not one to sugarcoat problems on a ship, but having sailed on the Getaway three times, the most recent earlier this year, I can tell you my experience.  Yes, there are lines sometimes, which is not uncommon on any megaship on any cruise line.  The line to disembark at the end of the cruise is always long, but it moves very quickly.  I doubt we've waited more than 15 minutes.  We have never had to wait in a line to eat dinner in the MDR, but I have seen some lines when we leave around 7:00 or so.  If you know to go to Headliners when you board the ship, you can usually score your preferred times for specialty restaurants.  We always go there first, because the excursions desk usually opens a bit later.  Regardless, we're first in line for excursions when it opens.  Some excursions are completely booked up, but often some have opened up that were showing full online.  You can also get on a wait list in case something opens up later (it does happen).  Catching a tender in a popular port can be tough if you're trying to get off early, but sometimes the very first tender of the day goes off half empty because people who booked don't get moving that early.  I've heard announcements telling passengers that spaces are available without reservations.  Speaking of reservations, since you have no latitudes status, you'll have to get a tender ticket the day before if you want to get off early.  If time is no issue, don't bother with a ticket because usually by 10 or 11, everything opens up and you no longer need tickets.  Of course, if you're on a ship excursion, you don't need a ticket.

The buffet, like on every ship, can get crowded at peak times.  We've never not been able to find seats, but sometimes you have to wander a bit and be ready to grab a spot that opens up.  As far as a quiet place to read, if the weather is nice, the waterfront is awesome.  If you want to sit indoors, check out the bars during the morning and early afternoons.  They are virtually empty with comfortable seats.  HTH

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, FredZiffle said:

I'm not one to sugarcoat problems on a ship, but having sailed on the Getaway three times, the most recent earlier this year, I can tell you my experience.  Yes, there are lines sometimes, which is not uncommon on any megaship on any cruise line.  The line to disembark at the end of the cruise is always long, but it moves very quickly.  I doubt we've waited more than 15 minutes.  We have never had to wait in a line to eat dinner in the MDR, but I have seen some lines when we leave around 7:00 or so.  If you know to go to Headliners when you board the ship, you can usually score your preferred times for specialty restaurants.  We always go there first, because the excursions desk usually opens a bit later.  Regardless, we're first in line for excursions when it opens.  Some excursions are completely booked up, but often some have opened up that were showing full online.  You can also get on a wait list in case something opens up later (it does happen).  Catching a tender in a popular port can be tough if you're trying to get off early, but sometimes the very first tender of the day goes off half empty because people who booked don't get moving that early.  I've heard announcements telling passengers that spaces are available without reservations.  Speaking of reservations, since you have no latitudes status, you'll have to get a tender ticket the day before if you want to get off early.  If time is no issue, don't bother with a ticket because usually by 10 or 11, everything opens up and you no longer need tickets.  Of course, if you're on a ship excursion, you don't need a ticket.

The buffet, like on every ship, can get crowded at peak times.  We've never not been able to find seats, but sometimes you have to wander a bit and be ready to grab a spot that opens up.  As far as a quiet place to read, if the weather is nice, the waterfront is awesome.  If you want to sit indoors, check out the bars during the morning and early afternoons.  They are virtually empty with comfortable seats.  HTH

I just got off the Getaway last week and I concur with basically all of this.  There were no major problems and besides the usual Shanghai lines, there was only one night out of 11 that we waited at all to get into a dining room, and that was maybe 5-10 minutes at most. We had NO problem finding quiet places to sit both inside and outside to read, relax, have a drink etc. It was a great cruise and I am not a Pollyanna in the least.  The screen in the Atrium was on all of the time, I suppose, but I'm not sure why that would be a negative?  There was almost always an activity going on that the screen related to!

• Like 1

If you've sailed 4 years ago, please adjust your expectations downward. The cruise experience in the overall industry has severely degraded on multiple fronts - entertainment, staffing, training, etc. The cruise lines are generally charging more because they can while delivering less. This doesn't mean you should not book the cruise, though.

We used to cruise 4+ times per year, but since Corona, we have sailed only twice and only when we find a last minute cruise with space available. We don't find overall value in the cruise space these days. While we don't mind paying more if we get more, we outright reject the idea of paying more for less, so we spend our vacation dollars very intentionally elsewhere.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 4

I concur with all of the previous commenters. 

In a nutshell, given the size of the ship and number of passengers, yes, expects waits and crowds at the pinch points you mentioned (i.e., buffet at peak times, disembarking, tendering, etc.).  That's a fact of life on a mainstream cruise line.

Also, if you leave NYC in January around school holidays (MLK weekend), expect kids and families. So, pick your dates carefully.

That said, I sailed on the Getaway earlier this year, Joy last month, and Escape next month....all out of NYC.  I had a great time on the prior ships and expect no less on the Escape.

Don't fret: come on over to the states and take the cruise!

• Like 1

My wife and I sailed the GA in January 2023 on a 12 day out of NYC in the Haven. We went with friends who were Non Haven. We had dinner in the main dining room the first night. The service was terrible, specialty restaurants were fine. Honestly didn't really notice if it was overcrowded or not, sea days we spent between the Haven Courtyard, Sundeck and the Spa. 

If you can swing it, book a Haven Cabin.....At least get a Spa Pass

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 3

Thank you for all the quick replies.

Although we’ve not sailed NCL for 4 years we have sailed with other cruise lines over the last few years, mostly Celebrity which up until recently we thought was a fairly good fit for us.

The last two cruises were on Celebrity Beyond, although that wasn’t sailing full, and then in February we went on the Celebrity Edge and it was this last cruise that we thought we’d give Celebrity a break for a while. We definitely noticed a difference in terms of food, service and entertainment.

We now realise though that it’s not just Celebrity that are cutting corners but apparently several cruise lines seem to be on a race to the bottom.

The cruise sails on January 2nd for 10 nights so I presume there will be lots of children on board? 

Anyway we have lots to think about, whether to go ahead and book or not.

• Like 3

We sailed on her last year at the same time you're considering and there were probably more children than adults!  At least it seemed like it with the screaming at the elevators (playing games on the floor in front of them), some running down the halls kicking doors at 2 a.m. and later, and I could go on but won't.... 😄  The ship itself is "so-so" as the layout makes it feel crowded most of the time but not enough to dissuade us from taking another trip if that's the only ship with the itinerary we want BUT during a time when school is out.  That was the worst trip we've ever taken out of over 20 cruises!  HOWEVER, we love NCL, they have the best itineraries and other than that particular time of year have had no problems with dinner seating, service or otherwise....

Edited by butterfly4108
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Med said:

Although we’ve not sailed NCL for 4 years we have sailed with other cruise lines over the last few years, mostly Celebrity which up until recently we thought was a fairly good fit for us.

The last two cruises were on Celebrity Beyond, although that wasn’t sailing full, and then in February we went on the Celebrity Edge and it was this last cruise that we thought we’d give Celebrity a break for a while. We definitely noticed a difference in terms of food, service and entertainment.

We now realise though that it’s not just Celebrity that are cutting corners but apparently several cruise lines seem to be on a race to the bottom.

The cruise sails on January 2nd for 10 nights so I presume there will be lots of children on board? 

Quite the contrary regarding the kiddies.

Most schools reopen just after the New Year.

Thanks for that Butterfly4108

Well that’s made us think! 
We have been away previously on other cruises during school holidays (we had to when our son was at school) but we didn’t find it too much of a problem because we found that most children went to the kids club.

However, we’re older now and less “kid tolerant” especially naughty ones!

For various reasons we wanted to be away from home over New Year so thought that a couple of nights in The Big Apple followed by a cruise might have done the trick.

Oh decisions decisions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruiser2015 said:

That's what we thought as well but were informed that children in Canada were still out of school which was why there were so many on our particular trip...

3 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Does it vary depending where in America you are?

I see Butterfly said that Canada is different.

I would have thought that as the cruise leaves on 2nd for 10 nights that most children would have to be back during this period.

In the UK parents get fined for taking their children out during term time, not sure what the USA rules are.

19 minutes ago, The Med said:

People might be willing to take the kids out of school for a 7 day cruise (especially during a holiday period) but probably less so for a 10 day cruise.  However a lot of kids are homeschooled now or can keep up with their school work via the internet.

• Like 1

I'm not sure of the dates for Canada as I'm in the US so with our own children being back in school that week I thought they all were lol!!  I only found out the Canadian children were still out when I asked the staff why there were so many children running all over the place.  I had no idea.... I guess you could probably check the dates online for the holiday period this year though so you'd know ahead of time whether they'll be out this year or not...

In the US children can do distance learning with permission and quite a few are also home schooled which allows a lot more freedom for travel as long as they put in their "school time" on their laptops depending on their district and state of course.

3 hours ago, The Med said:

We were looking at a cruise on The Getaway from New York leaving in January.

We only cruised NCL once before, on the Epic about 4 years ago so I thought that I’d read some reviews to get a feel of what’s what.

Oh, my goodness, the reviews are dreadful, I haven’t come across a good one yet.

The comments range from overcrowding everywhere, 45 minute queues to get on and off tenders, nowhere to sit in the buffet, all speciality restaurants booked up once you get onboard, all excursions booked if you happen to be a late booking, 45 minute queues to get into main restaurant with no queue separating those who have booked and those that haven’t.Also no quiet areas to sit and read, a screen on constantly in main atrium.Disorganised staff, people coughing all over the buffet, no sanitiser offered on entering restaurants.

Can anyone either confirm this or offer a more positive experience?

To be honest, it’s completely put us off booking.

Rule # 1, don't trust bad reviews. I never do.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Med said:

Does it vary depending where in America you are?

I see Butterfly said that Canada is different.

I would have thought that as the cruise leaves on 2nd for 10 nights that most children would have to be back during this period.

In the UK parents get fined for taking their children out during term time, not sure what the USA rules are.

You did not mention when in January you were traveling.

Anyway, I didn't think about Canada. I would expect the largest portion of passengers to be Americans. In the New York area, back to school is Jan. 2 for most.

A little quick research on open dates: south Florida Jan 5 or 8; Virginia around the 6th; Pennsylvania  3rd.

That is a sampling.

Definitely some parents will hold kids back for a vacation that they can get for less when not the holiday break.

I would not expect many, especially if you're mid month or later.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

You did not mention when in January you were traveling.

Anyway, I didn't think about Canada. I would expect the largest portion of passengers to be Americans. In the New York area, back to school is Jan. 2 for most.

A little quick research on open dates: south Florida Jan 5 or 8; Virginia around the 6th; Pennsylvania  3rd.

That is a sampling.

Definitely some parents will hold kids back for a vacation that they can get for less when not the holiday break.

I would not expect many, especially if you're mid month or later.

Our 12 day on the GA left January 8th 2023. Frankly I was surprised at the amount of kids, teens on the ship. In the Haven their were at least two dozen. Talking to one of their parents they just bring work along. Personally we would have never done that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAcruising said:

Amen. If I cruised only on ships that didn't have bad reviews, I wouldn't cruise at all. 

Well I do understand that almost everything has some bad reviews mixed with some good reviews, it was just that I couldn’t actually find any good reviews at all which was somewhat alarming (until the replies on this post).

However, we’re now thinking that this cruise probably isn’t for us.

The ship is too big.

I’ve just been reading on another post about someone asking about Cunard. 

We haven’t done Cunard for a few years but we’re now considering the crossing to Southampton.

I do adore dressing to the nines, so that would be nice.

Its just that we won’t get the sunshine.

Oh, decisions, decisions. 

• Like 1