Really bad reviews on Getaway

The Med

4 minutes ago, The Med said:

Thank you but for  logistics we wanted to cruise from New York. 

Take a look at MSC and their Yacht Club rooms leaving from New York also. YC is the same concept as Haven so your own private ship within a ship concept and their interior YC rooms are priced competitively and much cheaper then what NCL wants for Haven.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Take a look at MSC and their Yacht Club rooms leaving from New York also. YC is the same concept as Haven so your own private ship within a ship concept and their interior YC rooms are priced competitively and much cheaper then what NCL wants for Haven.

MSC is a tiny bit cheaper.....  YC standard balcony is $7018 for 9 days, Haven Courtyard on the GA is $7873 (10 day cruise)... Both prices are from MSC and NCL websites, cruises are 5 days apart

MSC is literally $9 a day cheaper if you price it out by the the day... and they might end up being more since I did not get total with taxes

Edited by Laszlo

36 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

👍

MSC has a 9 day leaving NYC (Brooklyn) January 6th

Thanks but that’s too late, we want to be in New York for New Years Eve then have 2 nights/ maximum 3 nights before sailing.

So a cruise would need to sail on the 2nd or 3rd January.

Even so, the destinations on the MSC aren’t inspiring me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Med said:

Thanks but that’s too late, we want to be in New York for New Years Eve then have 2 nights/ maximum 3 nights before sailing.

So a cruise would need to sail on the 2nd or 3rd January.

Even so, the destinations on the MSC aren’t inspiring me.

Have you been in NYC for New Years Eve? It can be a real cluster to say the least Lol

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Thanks but we’re not really into paying extra for Haven, we’re happy with a balcony cabin.

We don’t spend much time in the room anyway so would rather just have a balcony but take more holidays.

So far this year we’ve cruised the Caribbean with Celebrity, we’ve been to Spain twice, been to The Edinburgh Fringe Festival, numerous vacations round the Uk in our motorhome. 
In 3 weeks we’re going on Regent Seven Seas round the Mediterranean (got a feeling that will spoil us for every other cruise line).

We’ve got free flights to New York to use and we don’t want to be in the Uk at New Year so it seemed like a good time to take another cruise. 

• Like 1

Oh, and we’ve just come back from a fabulous South Africa Holiday incorporating Rovos Rail and The Zambezi Queen….would rather spend the money on this type of vacation than a superior suite.

Each to their own though, do whatever makes you happy.

4 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Have you been in NYC for New Years Eve? It can be a real cluster to say the least Lol

No, but to be honest it’s just to be away for New Year, we won’t necessarily be celebrating. With the 5 hour time change we will probably be asleep at midnight anyway. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Med said:

No, but to be honest it’s just to be away for New Year, we won’t necessarily be celebrating. With the 5 hour time change we will probably be asleep at midnight anyway. Lol.

Do some reading up, I forget for how many blocks around Times Square they do it for but you are basically locked in. I would make sure your hotel is OUT of that area 

• Like 1

Just now, Laszlo said:

Do some reading up, I forget for how many blocks around Times Square they do it for but you are basically locked in. I would make sure your hotel is OUT of that area 

And brace yourself for the smell! I hope the OP doesn't mind the stench of Mary Jane. It's inescapable!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Med said:

Well I do understand that almost everything has some bad reviews mixed with some good reviews, it was just that I couldn’t actually find any good reviews at all which was somewhat alarming (until the replies on this post).

However, we’re now thinking that this cruise probably isn’t for us.

The ship is too big.

I’ve just been reading on another post about someone asking about Cunard. 

We haven’t done Cunard for a few years but we’re now considering the crossing to Southampton.

I do adore dressing to the nines, so that would be nice.

Its just that we won’t get the sunshine.

Oh, decisions, decisions. 

Using a little math, for 4,000 people, standing in line at 4 ft spacing, the line is 3 miles long.

So 2,000 people is 1.5 miles long, etc.

Getting on and off the ship will always have long lines, no way to avoid it on the large ships.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Oh no, we’ve absolutely no intention of going anywhere near Times sq on New Year’s Eve. Or anywhere where there is a crowd.
We’ve seen a few hotels by the river on the Jersey side. We will stay in the hotel, have a bite to eat, if we see any fireworks out the window it’s a bonus although we will probably be asleep anyway.

Not a massive New Year fan which is why we want to be away from home to get away from it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Med said:

Oh no, we’ve absolutely no intention of going anywhere near Times sq on New Year’s Eve. Or anywhere where there is a crowd.
We’ve seen a few hotels by the river on the Jersey side. We will stay in the hotel, have a bite to eat, if we see any fireworks out the window it’s a bonus although we will probably be asleep anyway.

Not a massive New Year fan which is why we want to be away from home to get away from it.

I would still stay in NYC, not all of Manhattan will be crazy

15 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I would still stay in NYC, not all of Manhattan will be crazy

Any reason why?
The hotels on the other side of the river looked quite nice, more cost effective and with a view of Manhattan.

Just curious why NYC would be a better choice.

• Like 2

I did a baltics cruise last year on the Breakaway. The cruise had more crew than people due to a combination of Russia's invasion of Ukraine and Europe's COVID requirements. By far one of the most amazing cruises I've been on. Service was out of this world, food was excellent and the Million Dollar Quartet was incredible! Worst part of the cruise was that is was just cold enough to not be able to enjoy the outside decks 75% of the time. Otherwise, I can't imagine any other cruise will equal or exceed the level of service we got on that cruise.

I'd go back on the Breakaway in a hearbeat, even if it was at capacity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Med said:

Any reason why?
The hotels on the other side of the river looked quite nice, more cost effective and with a view of Manhattan.

Just curious why NYC would be a better choice.

Personally if you are going to go to NYC you should really stay in the city. If this is not your first time NJ is OK. My wife and I go to NYC a few times a year, we live two hours away and aways stay in the city

At the end of the day you need to do what is comfortable for the two of you

Edited by Laszlo

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Personally if you are going to go to NYC you should really stay in the city. If this is not your first time NJ is OK. My wife and I go to NYC a few times a year, we live two hours away and aways stay in the city

At the end of the day you need to do what is comfortable for the two of you

I went to New York once a month for 22 years. Husband didn’t go there as often as me but often enough.

I’m not a City girl, don’t like crowds and have no interest in shopping.

The 2 reasons for going were to not be at home for New Year and to make use of our free flights.

However, on reflection we will probably use the flights another time.

We can’t get enthusiastic about The Getaway cruise and we’re now dithering about the Cunard crossing.

I thought that it would be lovely to dress up and get to wear the gowns that are languishing in my wardrobe.

It now transpires that the theme nights are Red/Gold (which I don’t have) and 20’s night (which I have but don’t want to wear).

So thank you everyone for the replies, it’s been helpful.

• Like 1

Come on ya’ll people, lay off telling the OP the bad points !!! They just want to go on a cruise out of NYC on Jan 2 and the NCL Getaway is about the only ship that fits their bill. Also, it’s the itinerary that is attracting them!

From me to you OP the dealbreaker might be this … there are no formal nights on NCL ships … the Cunard ships do. 

Just ignore them and come to Bermuda 🇧🇲!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Med said:

I went to New York once a month for 22 years. Husband didn’t go there as often as me but often enough.

I’m not a City girl, don’t like crowds and have no interest in shopping.

The 2 reasons for going were to not be at home for New Year and to make use of our free flights.

However, on reflection we will probably use the flights another time.

We can’t get enthusiastic about The Getaway cruise and we’re now dithering about the Cunard crossing.

I thought that it would be lovely to dress up and get to wear the gowns that are languishing in my wardrobe.

It now transpires that the theme nights are Red/Gold (which I don’t have) and 20’s night (which I have but don’t want to wear).

So thank you everyone for the replies, it’s been helpful.

You want to get away from home.

Interesting ports.

Not a huge ship.

Not really interested in NY @ New Years.

Ever been to Hawaii?

How about the Pride of America?

45 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

You want to get away from home.

Interesting ports.

Not a huge ship.

Not really interested in NY @ New Years.

Ever been to Hawaii?

How about the Pride of America?

I thought that all Hawaii cruises went from Honolulu?

• Like 1