Gala Night Query

The Med

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

You'll be telling me you have a what to wear and when spreadsheet  next!

With embedded photos!!

I should add that I'm looking for a suitable wardrobe/outfit planning app. Haven't found one that is better than Excel or Outlook Calendar yet.

Edited by D&N

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I bet. Probably an unpleasant sight too. (Sorry just couldn’t resist.)

I could comment with a great add on to this, but HH would probably delete because of lack of decency and decorum not fitting of the Cunard board!😂

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

You'll be telling me you have a what to wear and when spreadsheet  next! 🙂

Our last Cunard trip was two weeks on QE plus a 1/2 World Cruise on QM2. We had an Excell spreadsheet (nothing to do with me) that not only detailed what outfits, shoes, etc. were for each night, but also which case they were to be packed in. So that we could, if the worst happened, cope with the loss of one suitcase.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Our last Cunard trip was two weeks on QE plus a 1/2 World Cruise on QM2. We had an Excell spreadsheet (nothing to do with me) that not only detailed what outfits, shoes, etc. were for each night, but also which case they were to be packed in. So that we could, if the worst happened, cope with the loss of one suitcase.

Wow.

Luckily, I always know what's packed and where as I list it when it goes in but that's for insurance purposes should I ever need to claim.

One of the current threads is making me think twice about the level of cover we have!

I'm afraid I still can't get my head around such minute detail of what to wear and when but, it seems I might be in the minority. I look in the wardrobes about five mins before dressing for dinner, to decide what to wear.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm afraid I still can't get my head around such minute detail 

How about - the blue formal is followed by the blue casual, and the silver sparkly formal is followed by the white casual so that the blue, or silver sparkly, nail polish doesn't have to be changed every day. I swear I'm not making this up!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

How about - the blue formal is followed by the blue casual, and the silver sparkly formal is followed by the white casual so that the blue, or silver sparkly, nail polish doesn't have to be changed every day. I swear I'm not making this up!

Apart from anything else, I can’t imagine owning that many clothes. Or even half that many.

8 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Gulp!

I had no idea dressing for dinner was almost a science, or would that be an 'ology'!

I wonder what my approach would be called...careless perhaps? 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigMac1953 said:

We start thinking about what to wear for dinner around 6:00pm every night. Always managed something.

As early as that? I usually find a sip or two of cabin g+t helps concentrate the mind. In any case, the choice diminishes as the cruise progresses, as I have to choose from what still fits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Wow.

Luckily, I always know what's packed and where as I list it when it goes in but that's for insurance purposes should I ever need to claim.

One of the current threads is making me think twice about the level of cover we have!

I must admit I renewed my annual cover this week and have paid extra to increase cover of  personal possessions. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 5:17 PM, BigMac1953 said:

For men, wearing a hat indoors, at any time, is absolutely ill mannered, even when playing Cunard's dressing up game. That nonsense is for children at Hallowe'en. It is certainly not appropriate for a black tie event.

The guidance in the U.S. seems to be that you may wear a hat indoors if it is a public space, such as an airport, public transportation, or a hotel, office building, or theater lobby. Even in an elevator, if no lady is present.

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/mens-hat-etiquette-guide/

https://www.levinehat.com/pages/hat-etiquette

(etc.)

The U.K. guidance - which would rule on a British ship - appears to be different, so forgive those ignorant of British practice.

In no case, I agree, would it be appropriate at a black tie event, which is by definition indoors and private. Indeed, there is no specification for "which hat to wear with black tie", only for what you might wear with an evening overcoat to get to the event.