booking air through NCL but choosing flights

CCJack

I would like to choose my own flights, I see there is a number you can call NCL and they will provide you a quote for air.  I think this is different than the 2 for 1 specials and the deep discounts where they chose your flights 30 days prior....

My question is....are there any advantages to calling NCL to get a quote vs. booking on your own with the airline.   Do they offer a discount, or is there any other advantages to involving NCL? 

This is for Detroit to Athens.

thanks.

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Never done it, but I seem to recall others saying there is a fee involved and it isn't worth it and you're better off booking your own flights.

Thanks, I decided to book directly with the airline.   I did call NCL and the agent was very friendly and explained the process but I decided against it.   For reference here is what I was told:

(note this is entirely different than the 2 for 1 special, where your tix are assigned by a computer 30 days out, etc.) 

• between 200 and 100 days pre cruise you fill out a form and submit to NCL.
  • the form allows you to indicate preferences such as cabin class, approximate preferred departure time, etc.
  • they come back with a quote and suggested flights.
  • you don't get to specify exact flights.
  • Quotes will be more than the 2 for 1, 30 day out thing....

I wanted to be in control even if it costs  more.   Biz Class is out of our budget but I am not sitting in Economy for 10 hours, so premium economy is what we want.  For some of these big transatlantic planes they only show 10 or 12 PE seats and in some cases some seats are already booked 11 months out.   So waiting until 200 days out makes me nervous.   It looks like post-pandemic there is a lot of  people traveling so we all can expect to pay a premium for cruises and flights and need to book early !

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CCJack said:

Thanks, I decided to book directly with the airline.   I did call NCL and the agent was very friendly and explained the process but I decided against it.   For reference here is what I was told:

No mention of the fee? If I recall correctly, others mentioned a ($50??) fee.

In any case, thanks for digging into this and explaining the process. It seems that this has been a mystery around here for a while.

Edited by schmoopie17

5 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

No mention of the fee? If I recall correctly, others mentioned a ($50??) fee.

In any case, thanks for digging into this and explaining the process. It seems that this has been a mystery around here for a while.

They said there is not a fee, instead they give you a brand new quote (as opposed to the 2 for 1 price you are presented at booking + fee).   Especially if you want to upgrade cabin class for an international flight that quote will be a lot more than what you are presented during cruise booking for the 2 for 1 air price.

I know on Viking we paid $75 on top of their "special" air fare, and it actually worked out well for us..... they worked with us on flights and the $75 was well worth it.   If NCL did that at one time, it looks like maybe the process has changed somewhat.

• Thanks 2

imho, i believe its so much better to book your own flights, allowing you to determine when you want to leave/return, ( this is especially helpful on a multi-city cruise where it begins in one port and concludes in another, especially if you want to visit the cities prior to and after your cruise ) where you want to sit, allowing you to view/pick your own seat.

i agree, sitting in economy, especially if you're stuck in the middle seat is unbearable at the least, and tortuous at best. 

6 hours ago, CCJack said:

(note this is entirely different than the 2 for 1 special, where your tix are assigned by a computer 30 days out, etc.) 

• between 200 and 100 days pre cruise you fill out a form and submit to NCL.
  • the form allows you to indicate preferences such as cabin class, approximate preferred departure time, etc.
  • they come back with a quote and suggested flights.
  • you don't get to specify exact flights.
  • Quotes will be more than the 2 for 1, 30 day out thing....

I wanted to be in control even if it costs  more.   Biz Class is out of our budget but I am not sitting in Economy for 10 hours, so premium economy is what we want.  For some of these big transatlantic planes they only show 10 or 12 PE seats and in some cases some seats are already booked 11 months out.   So waiting until 200 days out makes me nervous.   It looks like post-pandemic there is a lot of  people traveling so we all can expect to pay a premium for cruises and flights and need to book early !

I travelled for almost 30 years in my job and am an absolute control freak about booking my own flights.    I try to book them the first date available for a round trip and was able to get good British Airway premium economy seats from SFO to Barcelona.  Actually I was the first one to book it, so I had my choice of seats! 

It's too bad that NCL doesn't give you some type of OBC if you don't use the airfare.  I wonder how many people do use it.

On 10/18/2023 at 12:41 PM, CCJack said:

Really? You got someone friendly at NCL airline reservations. I've found them to be a nasty bunch who act like they are doing you some kind of favor to answer even a simple question.

• Like 1