Visit Japan Web For Cruisers question

mtnesterz

Doing the Visit Japan Web now for our cruise in two weeks. It asks for destination, meaning Prefecture, City, Postal Code, Phone Number... 

We are going directly from the airport (Haneda)to the ship in Yokohama, so there is no address. I've downloaded the instruction manual, but there is no way to put in that we are leaving that day on a cruise ship and not staying overnight in a hotel.  Has anybody cruised Japan and knows what information to put in the requested slots? TIA

Edited by mtnesterz

2 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Doing the Visit Japan Web now for our cruise in two weeks. It asks for destination, meaning Prefecture, City, Postal Code, Phone Number... 

We are going directly from the airport (Haneda)to the ship in Yokohama, so there is no address. I've downloaded the instruction manual, but there is no way to put in that we are leaving that day on a cruise ship and not staying overnight in a hotel.  Has anybody cruised Japan and knows what information to put in the requested slots? TIA

Use the cruise terminal address:

Osanbashi Yokohama
1-1-4 Kaigandori, Naka-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 231-0002 

TEL: 045-211-2304

12 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Use the cruise terminal address:

Osanbashi Yokohama
1-1-4 Kaigandori, Naka-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 231-0002 

TEL: 045-211-2304

Thank you! So, now that's done, I've hit register and I'm at the place it says, "Use after entering Japan." So, I've stopped.  Are we good for entry now?  Is there is something else I should do? I'm guessing there will be assistance on the ship if there are problems on the return. 

55 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Thank you! So, now that's done, I've hit register and I'm at the place it says, "Use after entering Japan." So, I've stopped.  Are we good for entry now?  Is there is something else I should do? I'm guessing there will be assistance on the ship if there are problems on the return. 

"Use after entering Japan" is for tax free shopping QR code which is totally useless, and asking if you have travel and COVID insurance. As long as you got the yellow bar (immigration) and blue (customs) QR codes, you are good to go.  The QR codes are for Japan arrival through airport, you will fingerprint both index fingers and photo. Your passport will have a Japan "temporary visit" QR code sticker. If your cruise sail to South Korea and return japan, this process will redo at the first Japan port of entry, you will use the print forms, no VJW app.

Edited by monkey@cruise

17 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

"Use after entering Japan" is for tax free shopping QR code which is totally useless, and asking if you have travel and COVID insurance. As long as you got the yellow bar (immigration) and blue (customs) QR codes, you are good to go.  The QR codes are for Japan arrival through airport, you will fingerprint both index fingers and photo. Your passport will have a Japan "temporary visit" QR code sticker. If your cruise sail to South Korea and return japan, this process will redo at the first Japan port of entry, you will use the print forms, no VJW app.

We also thank you as gathering all the instructions for when we are ready to register.

20 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

VJW isn't a Japan entry fast track. With or without VJW passengers all queue together for immigration process - finger print and photo. 

Hi Michael, Sometimes Business Class has a fast rack - does that apply at Haneda Airport?  If using VJW doesn't provide a fast track, assume that your processing time is shorter with VJW when you reach the immigration officer?  We will be stopping in South Korea and then re-enter Japan before departure. Do Japan Immigration staff board the ship for processing or, is it done at the cruise terminal port - our first re-entry into Japan is Hiroshima?

4 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Hi Michael, Sometimes Business Class has a fast rack - does that apply at Haneda Airport?  If using VJW doesn't provide a fast track, assume that your processing time is shorter with VJW when you reach the immigration officer?  We will be stopping in South Korea and then re-enter Japan before departure. Do Japan Immigration staff board the ship for processing or, is it done at the cruise terminal port - our first re-entry into Japan is Hiroshima?

Everyone is equal, no fast track for Business Class passengers.  All handwritten information that was previously required, such as immigration information and customs declaration forms, can be filled out in advance through VJW. Your immigration process time will be shorter but not significantly. 

After receiving instruction from the Immigration Officer, place the index finger of both hands on the fingerprint reader as a general rule, while your fingerprint information is read electromagnetically

The camera above the fingerprint reader will take your photograph. Your passport will have a "temporary visitor" sticker if admitted into Japan.

You will go through Japan immigration exit process at the last Japan port before sailing to South Korea, when return to Japan, all passengers must go through immigration process again (finger print and photo), you cannot use the VJW (only for airport arrival) and receive a new "temporary visitor" sticker. We re-entry through Hakodate and took 4-5 hours for everyone to process onboard.

16 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Everyone is equal, no fast track for Business Class passengers.  All handwritten information that was previously required, such as immigration information and customs declaration forms, can be filled out in advance through VJW. Your immigration process time will be shorter but not significantly. 

After receiving instruction from the Immigration Officer, place the index finger of both hands on the fingerprint reader as a general rule, while your fingerprint information is read electromagnetically

The camera above the fingerprint reader will take your photograph. Your passport will have a "temporary visitor" sticker if admitted into Japan.

You will go through Japan immigration exit process at the last Japan port before sailing to South Korea, when return to Japan, all passengers must go through immigration process again (finger print and photo), you cannot use the VJW (only for airport arrival) and receive a new "temporary visitor" sticker. We re-entry through Hakodate and took 4-5 hours for everyone to process onboard.

Saving this info along with all of your previous replies. Many thanks for taking the time to respond with such detail - very generous of you 🤗

2 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Saving this info along with all of your previous replies. Many thanks for taking the time to respond with such detail - very generous of you 🤗

You are very welcome. If you have further questions on Japan travel feel free to post the question in CC forum. I will cruise from Singapore to Japan in March.

On 10/19/2023 at 10:39 AM, monkey@cruise said:

VJW isn't a Japan entry fast track. With or without VJW passengers all queue together for immigration process - finger print and photo. 

I am just curious why you would say this as I saw this posted a yesterday on the Regent board and planned to do the same next October. Is it because you visit Japan often and know how this works?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2969830-embarking-in-japan/#comment-66302401

"And not sure if it made a difference but we used the Visit Japan Web website. Once you fill out info, you get a QR code. Coming out of customs, once we got our luggage, we just scanned QR code and literally walked right through customs and immigration. (People who fill out the paper form (you will be given one on the plane before you land but you don’t use it if you have QR code) had to wait in a much longer line, at least when we arrived.)

If you are not familiar with Visit Japan Web, I would Google it. There are videos explaining how to use it. It isn’t mandatory but at least in our experience it saved us a lot of time."

Edited by frantic36

On 10/20/2023 at 12:34 PM, monkey@cruise said:

I appreciate your information but am finding this confusing, maybe because late at night in my time zone. It took a few reads to realise you were discussing two different subjects ie flight arrivals and then immigration from South Korea. 

As I posted before the person who went into Japan a few days ago felt the VJW helped because their immigration line was much shorter than the people with paper copies. Have you used VJW entering Japan? This isn't me being difficult I just want to understand pros and cons better.

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I appreciate your information but am finding this confusing, maybe because late at night in my time zone. It took a few reads to realise you were discussing two different subjects ie flight arrivals and then immigration from South Korea. 

As I posted before the person who went into Japan a few days ago felt the VJW helped because their immigration line was much shorter than the people with paper copies. Have you used VJW entering Japan? This isn't me being difficult I just want to understand pros and cons better.

My personal experience when arrived Osaka (KIX) airport in late September:

No separate immigration queue for VJW and non-VJW passengers. If using VJW, you must have internet connected (I used KIX free WiFi) and login VJW with "LIVE" immigration QR code before allow queuing immigration. I saw some VJW passengers struggled because unable to connect or  some other reasons, eventually settled for paper forms.

Using VJW at the immigration counter: scan your immigration QR code (Immigration officers not happy if you need to unlock phone or phone screen is turn off), Then fingerprint both index fingers and face photo, if process is OK, your passport will stamp a "temporary visitor" sticker. 

If your travel party all has own phone; internet access in airport immigration area; separate VJW passengers queue; no mishap during fingerprint and photo, the whole immigration process will be  2-3 min. Cross your fingers on luggage arrival, I used Apple AirTag to track and very useful.

The custom process: separate queuing for VJW passengers, scan your custom QR code and passport simultaneously on a self serve kiosk. If all travel members registered under one VJW account, just scan the applicant passport.  You then go through a barrier check and you are in the arrival hall! The custom paper form queue wasn't long and moved very quick. 

In addition to VJW, I also filled the paper forms as backup. For me using the VJW, immigration process was under 2 min, but waited 25 min for my luggage, and 2 min for custom process. The main show stopper was picked up luggage from baggage carousel. It also depend your arrival time and the airport.

The VJW is not a scan and go process, just replace the paper immigration arrival and custom forms.

As far I know Haneda and Narita airport do separate queue for VJW passengers. 

Thanks @monkey@cruise this is very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it all. I will do the same and have digital and paper copy just in case.

I haven't booked our flights yet as our cruise into till October 24 and return flight dates aren't there yet. From what you say and something else I read Narita sounds like the airport I should aim for if I can. We will arrive a few days early for our cruise so that should work.

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Thanks @monkey@cruise this is very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it all. I will do the same and have digital and paper copy just in case.

I haven't booked our flights yet as our cruise into till October 24 and return flight dates aren't there yet. From what you say and something else I read Narita sounds like the airport I should aim for if I can. We will arrive a few days early for our cruise so that should work.

You're very welcome. If having luggage to pick up, there is no big advantage on time saving.
Narita is 50km from Tokyo city, and most cruise terminals are in Yokohama. You should aim for Haneda Airport (HND) 16 km to Tokyo or Yokohama. Transportation cost will be much lesser than to/from Narita.

1 hour ago, monkey@cruise said:

You're very welcome. If having luggage to pick up, there is no big advantage on time saving.
Narita is 50km from Tokyo city, and most cruise terminals are in Yokohama. You should aim for Haneda Airport (HND) 16 km to Tokyo or Yokohama. Transportation cost will be much lesser than to/from Narita.

Thank you again for your help. I'm in Perth West Australia and apparently ANA will start resuming direct non-stop flights from here at the end of the month but I still can't see the schedules. So I will check which airport they use when they load.

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Thank you again for your help. I'm in Perth West Australia and apparently ANA will start resuming direct non-stop flights from here at the end of the month but I still can't see the schedules. So I will check which airport they use when they load.

ANA service is excellent.👍 I used award points for an ANA flight back to Vancouver, Canada. They waived my luggage fees (US $75 x 2), free advance seat assignment, flight meals and entertainment are much better than our Canadian carriers. Boarding for a Boeing 787 aircraft took 25 min !

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2023 at 7:01 PM, monkey@cruise said:

You are very welcome. If you have further questions on Japan travel feel free to post the question in CC forum. I will cruise from Singapore to Japan in March.

Will cruise from Brisbane to Japan in April. Do we need to use VJW before we depart? No information from Princess at all. You said you will cruise from Singapore to Japan in March, how about you? Any advice? Thanks.

44 minutes ago, hellopuppies said:

Will cruise from Brisbane to Japan in April. Do we need to use VJW before we depart? No information from Princess at all. You said you will cruise from Singapore to Japan in March, how about you? Any advice? Thanks.

Visit Japan Web is not mandatory and only applicable for Japan airport entry.  You will on Royal Princess and immigration and custom zero clearance at Kagoshima port, Japan. Will be paper form declaration, electronic portrait photo shoot, both index fingers print; then entry sticker on your passport page. Kochi city is small, free shuttle from cruise port to city center.

https://welcome-kochi.jp/pamphlet/50981.pdf

Osaka will dock at tempozan cruise terminal,  Shimizu will be Shimizu cruise terminal,

Yokohama will disembark at Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal (a remote location)

7 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Visit Japan Web is not mandatory and only applicable for Japan airport entry.  You will on Royal Princess and immigration and custom zero clearance at Kagoshima port, Japan. Will be paper form declaration, electronic portrait photo shoot, both index fingers print; then entry sticker on your passport page. Kochi city is small, free shuttle from cruise port to city center.

https://welcome-kochi.jp/pamphlet/50981.pdf

Osaka will dock at tempozan cruise terminal,  Shimizu will be Shimizu cruise terminal,

Yokohama will disembark at Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal (a remote location)

Thank you very much. Have a nice cruise in March, Monkey.

We’ll be going on a Celebrity Japan 12 night cruise. We’ve always had a balcony or oceanview room but in this case, there’s over an $800 difference between inside room and Oceanview. Has anyone taken this cruise and had an inside room and regretted it? I imagine you’re out most days on excursions and using the room only in the evening for sleep…not much downtime to be in the room.