Transportation to the Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland in Rotorua from cruise ship terminal

cbcb

We will be arriving in Auckland on March 5, 2024 on the Majestic Princess.  We are interested in going to the thermal wonderland.  Does anyone know if/how we can do that on our own?  Also, has anyone done the cruise on Lake Rotomahana while visiting the wonderland?

5 minutes ago, cbcb said:

We will be arriving in Auckland on March 5, 2024 on the Majestic Princess.  We are interested in going to the thermal wonderland.  Does anyone know if/how we can do that on our own?  Also, has anyone done the cruise on Lake Rotomahana while visiting the wonderland?

I'm not sure you realise how long it would take you to get to the Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland from the cruise termina- it is over a three hour drive each way, closer to three and a half hours actually. To do it on your own would mean renting a car for the day for self drive (remember you are driving on the opposite side of the road to what you are used to) or hiring a car and driver. 

As you are in Tauranga the following day, it would be a much easier trip to Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland from there - an hour and a half each way. 

• Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, cbcb said:

Just wanted to say we often pick up cruise buddies from the port in Tauranga and my favorite place to take them is Wai-O-Tapu. It is in my opinion the best thermal area for color and easy access.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a question, we are on the Edge April 14th sailing and my wife really wants to go to Hobbiton. We are in port from 6am to 4pm. Is this to risky to do and if not can you suggest a tour operator. looking to go with 1 or 2 other couples. Keeping it super small so we can get in and get out. Thanks in advance for your help

32 minutes ago, CruiserFTL said:

I have a question, we are on the Edge April 14th sailing and my wife really wants to go to Hobbiton. We are in port from 6am to 4pm. Is this to risky to do and if not can you suggest a tour operator. looking to go with 1 or 2 other couples. Keeping it super small so we can get in and get out. Thanks in advance for your help

My understanding is that the Hobbiton tour itself sends people through in groups of a particular size, so your ability to 'go small' might be limited.  However, all of the excursion operators that I have looked at cater to cruise passengers and are well informed on the ships' schedules so I doubt that they would offer a tour if they think it is risky.

15 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

My understanding is that the Hobbiton tour itself sends people through in groups of a particular size, so your ability to 'go small' might be limited.  However, all of the excursion operators that I have looked at cater to cruise passengers and are well informed on the ships' schedules so I doubt that they would offer a tour if they think it is risky.

Thanks that has been the problem. I guess we just aren't in port long enough.

On 12/13/2023 at 3:11 PM, CruiserFTL said:

Thanks that has been the problem. I guess we just aren't in port long enough.

You are in port long enough.  We did this tour with Zealandier last week.  Zealandier will give you a tour of the area around Tauranga and get you the tickets to Hobbiton for a specific time.  Once there they hand you off to the Hobbiton staff where you will go on a 2 hour tour with a guide.  Hobbiton has 40 person busses so you're not going to be with a small group for that part.  The Zealandier bus held up to 11 passengers.

Hobbiton is no longer selling their tour to cruise lines from what we have been told.  They apparently lost $1000's in food and staffing costs when the ships failed to make port.  With their latest attraction opening they have plenty of business from other sources and don't need the hassle that cruise ships add to the equation.  Would recommend contacting Zealandier, Viator, or another independent company if you want to do Hobbiton.  From our very recent experience you won't regret it, it's wonderful.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

You are in port long enough.  We did this tour with Zealandier last week.  Zealandier will give you a tour of the area around Tauranga and get you the tickets to Hobbiton for a specific time.  Once there they hand you off to the Hobbiton staff where you will go on a 2 hour tour with a guide.  Hobbiton has 40 person busses so you're not going to be with a small group for that part.  The Zealandier bus held up to 11 passengers.

Hobbiton is no longer selling their tour to cruise lines from what we have been told.  They apparently lost $1000's in food and staffing costs when the ships failed to make port.  With their latest attraction opening they have plenty of business from other sources and don't need the hassle that cruise ships add to the equation.  Would recommend contacting Zealandier, Viator, or another independent company if you want to do Hobbiton.  From our very recent experience you won't regret it, it's wonderful.

Thank you for your input...

The trouble is that we are trying to do the tour from Aukland and not Tauranga as our ship will not make port there. It seems that from Aukland it is just to risky for any tour operator to take on, given our departure time.

16 minutes ago, CruiserFTL said:

Thank you for your input...

The trouble is that we are trying to do the tour from Aukland and not Tauranga as our ship will not make port there. It seems that from Aukland it is just to risky for any tour operator to take on, given our departure time.

Sorry, I misunderstood.  And yes, Auckland is a lot further away.  Any little delay would mean you'd miss your tour slot.