Comparing Viking to Oceania

DrKoob

6 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

I would love to eat in the main dining room but we simply cannot hear ourselves think in there. It is soooooo loud. We can't hear people directly across the table from us. It's the low ceilings. I truly believe that. We feel the same way about the Chef's Table. 

100 % agree with you.  There are those of us who have a hard and painful time with lots of background noise (like restaurants at home, concerts, loud music, loud people, etc).  The MDR doesn't bother some and didn't bother us when we started with Viking 2018, but now it is too painful to eat at.

17 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

100 % agree with you.  There are those of us who have a hard and painful time with lots of background noise (like restaurants at home, concerts, loud music, loud people, etc).  The MDR doesn't bother some and didn't bother us when we started with Viking 2018, but now it is too painful to eat at.

We discovered that , if you don’t mind  eating early (6:00), you can often request table numbers 1 or 2, I believe, that are in the far aft of the dining room and quiet. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

We discovered that , if you don’t mind  eating early (6:00), you can often request table numbers 1 or 2, I believe, that are in the far aft of the dining room and quiet. 

We’ve done this many times. Tables 1 and 2 are indeed quieter. Plus, the Restaurant as a whole is less busy at 6 pm, so there isn’t as much noise in the dining area then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janetcbl said:

Thanks, Janet!   We don't mind going at 6:00 (or rather, lining up at 5:45 🙂 )

We'll have to try those tables 1 and 2 then.   The quietest tables we've had before were on port side furthest forward.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks, Janet!   We don't mind going at 6:00 (or rather, lining up at 5:45 🙂 )

We'll have to try those tables 1 and 2 then.   The quietest tables we've had before were on port side furthest forward.

On our last couple of cruises we have taken the advice of @LindaS272 and @SJD117 and always ask for tables 1 or 2.  It's very nice back there.  It's quiet with great views!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, millybess said:

On our last couple of cruises we have taken the advice of @LindaS272 and @SJD117 and always ask for tables 1 or 2.  It's very nice back there.  It's quiet with great views!

Yes, thanks Linda and Dave for the advice on tables 1 or 2 being quiet in the MDR!

Of course, now they will become really popular!  Will need to line up at 5:30 PM, just like the cruises to or from FLL that we've been on! 

12 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, thanks Linda and Dave for the advice on tables 1 or 2 being quiet in the MDR!

Of course, now they will become really popular!  Will need to line up at 5:30 PM, just like the cruises to or from FLL that we've been on! 

Yeah, that’s why I usually just give away this secret by private message! 😉. Cat’s out of the bag now! 🙀

• Haha 3

On 6/18/2024 at 8:17 AM, DrKoob said:

That's funny that you are in Lerwick. We are on Viking Venus and will there tomorrow. We are in Orkney today and I hope the weather is better there. Nothing but misty rain and fog. Finally seeing some blue sky just in time to sail away.

Sirena is one of the old R-class ships. Built in the previous century. Not a good example of Oceania's lines. Stick to Vista, Riviera or Marina. They are more comparable to Viking ships. The R-class ships have really small staterooms, even smaller bathrooms. You would not like them at all. But they do have interesting itineraries.

On 8/30/2024 at 5:34 PM, DrKoob said:

I would love to eat in the main dining room but we simply cannot hear ourselves think in there. It is soooooo loud. We can't hear people directly across the table from us. It's the low ceilings. I truly believe that. We feel the same way about the Chef's Table. We did hit a Mexican night that was really good in June on Venus. 

I actually prefer Serena over Vista. Better sound proofing 

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I actually prefer Serena over Vista. Better sound proofing 

You must not be six food two and weigh 230+ lbs. It's impossible to fit in those showers without using lots of grease first. 🤣

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I prefer Oceania larger ships, Marina and Riviera. Vista looks beautiful, but very noisy.  

We have heard a lot of people say that but we did not experience it on our two week Vista cruise in her first year. Maybe it's just who your stateroom neighbors are.

• Like 1