Silver Moon: Late Dec., Jan. Sailing Challenges/Questions??

TLCOhio

Why can't both Mumbai and Cochin be true?  Put current booked passengers into hotels in Mumbai on 11th with boarding on 14th AND option of boarding 15th in Cochin?  Maybe even give offer to current pax that they can decrease their cruise from 18 nights to 14 nights (with fare reduction) and then Silversea would not be on hook for so many hotel rooms.

Marc

PS There are two threads with identical cross posts so I didn't know which thread to append my question.

7 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Why can't both Mumbai and Cochin be true?  Put current booked passengers into hotels in Mumbai on 11th with boarding on 14th AND option of boarding 15th in Cochin?  Maybe even give offer to current pax that they can decrease their cruise from 18 nights to 14 nights (with fare reduction) and then Silversea would not be on hook for so many hotel rooms.    Marc

PS There are two threads with identical cross posts so I didn't know which thread to append my question.

Excellent question and point from Marc.  When checking, it is 611 nm between Mumbai and Cochin.  Even if sailing at 17 knots, it would take a day and a half to make that journey down the India coast.  If departing at 2 pm on the 14th from Mumbai, they could not make it to Cochin by the newly-advertised time of 7 am on the 15th.  

I continue with my reactions and questions as to . . . strange and puzzling?  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

That's what I get for not looking at a map; I was thinking Goa but Cochin was on website.  Moon still on Mumbai port schedule as of last version on 24 January; will be interesting to see if on next version.

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

That's what I get for not looking at a map; I was thinking Goa but Cochin was on website.  Moon still on Mumbai port schedule as of last version on 24 January; will be interesting to see if on next version.

YES, it gets confusing as to Goa versus Cochin.  Goa could be a back-up options, maybe, if and if.  Still view that the 14th in Mumbai is very possible if the "bean-counters" do not foolishly tell the Captain to slow down and improve fuel "economy".  

Appreciate your checking and monitoring the port schedules.  Good news that this potential Cochin-Singapore cruise is NOT showing on the UK Silversea website.  That causes me to assume some careless Silversea web operative has been sloppy for playing around with potential, if and if, options as to whether there is some sailing problem in getting from the western coast of Africa to Cape Town and Mumbai. Reactions? 

I spoke with a SS rep on Thursday who advised I should receive an email Thursday or Friday re Hotel accommodation in Mumbai, today is Saturday and no email. The communication from Silverseas is appalling. Has anyone in Australia been advised re hotel accommodation in Mumbai or received a refund for the 26 Jan cruise Dubai to Mumbai??

Charli001 Sydney

2 hours ago, Charli001 said:

I spoke with a SS rep on Thursday who advised I should receive an email Thursday or Friday re Hotel accommodation in Mumbai, today is Saturday and no email. The communication from Silverseas is appalling. Has anyone in Australia been advised re hotel accommodation in Mumbai or received a refund for the 26 Jan cruise Dubai to Mumbai??  Charli001 Sydney

Sorry to hear of those challenges getting info and communications for those in Australia.  

The good news is that I just heard from a  booked cruiser in southern California that he had previously paid for an extra two-day pre-cruise stay in the Oberoi.  BUT, he was being moved to the Trident, a much lower-cost hotel. His TA asked for a refund because of the downgrade in hotels and will receive $520 refund from Silversea.  Positive news and responsiveness from SS!!

As to the Tuesday Silversea email, they clearly said "Our Destination Management team will communicate in the next few days, update your booking with hotel details", etc.   

That Tuesday email did not say "next week". It implied communications and more details THIS WEEK.  A couple days means two days.  A few day might mean three days, roughly.  What is reasonable or unreasonable for our "few days" assumption/expectations/hope to hear more specifics??

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 73,926 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

From an active UK poster on that other site, it has been shared for Silver Moon, Mumbai arrangements:  "I have been advised by my ssea rep all passengers should have received details about the arrangements today."   

Just eight hours left till midnight here in the U.S. It's 9 pm in the UK. Nothing yet here in the Colonies!!  Yes, we can see the three nights and hotel to port transfer on our My Silversea.  But, the Cochin-Singapore offering starting Feb. 15 on the Silversea web creates confusion and doubts.   The clock is ticking and I am being hopeful.  Here in the US, a SS source just told me that "soon" is the expected timing.  Fingers crossed!!

It’s 8.15am Saturday in Sydney. I’ve been onto SS manage bookings and no hotels are mentioned under my booking. Has anyone in Australia had any notification from SS re the Mumbai to Singapore cruise?? The clock is ticking and time is running out. Welcome any response.

Charli001

I spoke with my TA today and amongst the many things that we discussed she indicated to me that if I wanted to cancel the cruise then SS would likely be flexible about it.   I have no idea if that would be in the form of a refund or a FCC, but I feel sure those who want to withdraw would be pushing at an open door -- if they so desired.

Secondly, at the risk of upseting people, I have to say that I am surpised at all the negativity being aimed at SS at present.   I do believe that given the current circumstances we should cut them a 'bit of slack' to finalise matters!    It seems to me that most 'posters' are eating and breathing this situation and no doubt checking emails & the SS website every hour!!   We all know that we are booked into a decent hotel for a few nights & that other arrangements are in hand and with 2 weeks still to go we should be assured that we will have the remaining info shortly.  

I have been critical of SS in the past, particularly about the potential high risk of transiting the Red Sea, but in this case I suggest we should let events unfold & wait patiently until we have completed our travels until we finally get the guns out!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, 9stilton said:

We all know that we are booked into a decent hotel for a few nights & that other arrangements are in hand and with 2 weeks still to go we should be assured that we will have the remaining info shortly.  I have been critical of SS in the past, particularly about the potential high risk of transiting the Red Sea, but in this case I suggest we should let events unfold & wait patiently until we have completed our travels until we finally get the guns out!

Understand the super frustrations, especially for those in Australia.  BUT, there is solid wisdom as expressed above as to the challenges facing the Silversea staff to shift and make all of these new arrangements.  The three days of promised "luxury" in Mumbai has been a good starting point.  

As stated above: "I am being hopeful".  My guessing and predictions are that Silversea and staff will be strongly motivated to provide some nice "above and beyond" extras in Mumbai and on the ship's sailing.  Again, FINGERS CROSSED!  

• Like 1

I am following this thread with great interest even though I have no bookings affected by these changes. Everyone posting here says they have been booked at the Trident. Has no one been booked at the Oberai?

Interestingly, I have checked my activities this morning and have noted that the trip I planned for the Elephant Orphanage has been moved to the new date.  This was the only excursion that we paid extra for.  None of the included excursions are showing yet, but it does show there is activity in booking things.  I'm remaining positive that things will work out ok in Mumbai.  I am just hoping they are imaginative in their offerings.   I have googled Mumbai and the Caves and National Parks look interesting, so fingers crossed we will be offered more than panoramic drives,  I, for one, would enjoy a cookery school offering, but that's just a personal opinion.  I don't envy them their task on finding a variety of luxurious activities to suit everyone's personal taste in entertainment.

I am determined to remain positive, and I definitely won't waste any energy dwelling on it once I board the ship.  

Our Transfer from the hotel to the dock doesn't show up yet, but I don't think we will be stranded.  

Hope our Australian friends get confirmation of their bookings soon.

• Like 3

Interesting! On My Silversea under My Bookings and Details both our 3 night Mumbai hotel stay on 11 Feb and Transfer from Hotel to Pier on 14 Feb are showing. On Activities our paid Excursion to Yala National Park is now showing on the right date, however our paid trip to the Elephant Orphanage is not showing. The locations for the first 10 days have yet to be changed to the new itinerary. All of the Excursions for Phuket and beyond are of course showing, as this part of the itinerary is unchanged. Clearly there is a tremendous amount of work going on to get all the trips moved to the new dates and to update all of the records. 

We too are looking forward to our holiday and our so grateful that it looks like we will be getting on board the Silver Moon when so many have had their cruises cancelled.

• Like 2

From this side of the Atlantic, still no communications received as of  8 am Saturday from Silversea by email as had happened originally on Tuesday afternoon.  That's when Silversea promised: “Our Destination Management team will communicate in the next few days, update your booking with hotel details."

As per The Dog Fosterer and UK__cruiser, three of our tours booked for Thailand and Malaysia have been restored on our My Silversea website. The probably "mistaken" Cochin-Singapore cruise showing in only a few parts of the world is still there, but nothing can be booked.

We here remain "hopeful" and look forward early next week to receiving some tangible details as we fly Feb. 4 to Delhi to start our privately-arranged "Golden Triangle" touring. Still flying Air India from Jaipur to Mumbai on the afternoon of Feb. 11 with our transportation arranged to take us to the Taj Mahal Palace hotel.  More on that hotel  later.  

As per www.cruisemapper.com this morning, below is the position of the Silver Moon (circled in red).  Good news?  The ship's speed is now up 19 knots as it works towards its scheduled 6 am Feb. 2 arrival in Cape Town.  

image.thumb.png.f086c1e31ba61144781c5fca109af7b3.png

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 62,019 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Charli001 it looks like you have a different system to the UK and USA in Australia, although I think that this may be changing. We have a My Silversea website for all our bookings (past, present and future) and not a Voyages part of the Silversea website. There is another thread on the Cruise Critic board indicating that changes are taking place and information is being moved to the My Silversea site. Good luck! 

Good luck for our Aussie, UK, etc., friends as to Silversea getting things "caught up" with the needed web info and communications.  

As a positive, forward-looking preview for those of us staying at the Taj Mahal Palace, here is more background.  They just had on December 16, 2023, their 120th anniversary celebration since its opening in 1903.  It is India's first hotel to have electricity, American fans, German elevators, Turkish baths and English butlers. Located in Mumbai’s historical and commercial hub, it is in walking distance from Colaba Causeway, known for its touristy tiny roadside shops. Each room is different, drawing from Mogul, European, and Anglo-Indian styles. The hotel’s public areas are decorated with antiques, silk carpets, crystal chandeliers, paintings and contemporary art.

Overall, this famed hotel has 560 rooms and 44 suites.  This means there are about 319 rooms in the 1972-built Tower.  The dramatic 240-feet high central dome serves as an official daytime triangulation point for ships of the Indian Navy.  

Among the dining options are: Souk for Middle Eastern fare at this rooftop restaurant offering views of the Mumbai harbor and Gateway of India.  Or, head to Golden Dragon for upscale Sichuan and Cantonese dishes.  Also, Wasabi By Morimoto for Japanese dishes with contemporary twists, made with ingredients flown in from Japan.  Masala Kraft is their speciality Indian restaurant with hand-ground spices and traditional recipes. There is also High Tea at Sea Lounge.  Their highly-rated pool area has a full-service restaurant, Aquarius, with afternoon sitar music.  

But, at this point, it is unclear as to exactly how Silversea will deliver their promised “food” during our three days in Mumbai at either the Taj or Trident.

From this hotel's FB site or Wikipedia, here are three different visuals to offer a little sample for this hotel's architecture, style, setting, etc.  

image.thumb.png.be806572c3155acbf6d80c5820815fa3.png

image.thumb.png.6cca7f07d619a0aff4fe59daad83139e.png

image.thumb.png.7ad8a822e102b307fad6095ead694cc9.png

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 55,586 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Like 1

Continued good news with certain excursion bookings being updated and opening up?   Was just able to go on and make a Feb. 20 reservation for this Hambantota tour as per below.  Much still needing to be fixed and fine-tuned.    But, seeing such added signs being progress?

image.thumb.png.a08ccc0d154e2c4a1481e6a89ae2f1d4.png

• Like 1

That's the day of our Elephant Orphanage excursion, so obviously they are working through things methodically.  Our excursions for the latter part of the cruise, where the itinerary didn't change, remain in place, with the exception of the tour we booked in Singapore.  Can't find any options available, which is puzzling.  Definitely feel like things are falling into place now.