Laem Chabang taxi cartel still?

IMswimmer

Hello there, 

I read from the forum that the taxis that passengers can hire at the cruise port are cartel controlled and that they asked for an exuberant price. It sounds like it is very difficult for passenger to hire a regular taxi. Is that still true in Laem Chabang? I would really appreciate if someone can respond to this question so that if I need to plan and hire a private car, I can. Thank you in advance. 

On 10/21/2023 at 8:13 AM, catweazlecat said:

Good Afternoon from Germany

I cannot confirm if that is still the case but read about it as well and decided to book a pickup myself to be on the safe side.

I am trying to arrange a private hired car, but there are so many conflicting information on the web. Some mentioned that one way from Port to Sanutuary of Truth is only USD 20.00 for a taxi, while the private company quoted me USD 190.00 for 6-8, but wait for us at the site. Also, they said when we are going to be at Laem Chabang, there is a festival, so prices are higher as well. How is your experience with having to pre book a car? Thanks.

59 minutes ago, IMswimmer said:

I am trying to arrange a private hired car, but there are so many conflicting information on the web. Some mentioned that one way from Port to Sanutuary of Truth is only USD 20.00 for a taxi, while the private company quoted me USD 190.00 for 6-8, but wait for us at the site. Also, they said when we are going to be at Laem Chabang, there is a festival, so prices are higher as well. How is your experience with having to pre book a car? Thanks.

We booked one for 8 to drive to Bangkok and it was no problem at all (BKK Contact). There was a thai guy advertising his shuttle service as well on our FB thread as follows:

If you need a taxi to pick up at Laem Chabang Port for Bangkok Tour or Pattaya Tour, contact me.
WhatsApp +66634455363
Email: booking@djtumsambartaxiservicesoi8.com
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, catweazlecat said:

We booked one for 8 to drive to Bangkok and it was no problem at all (BKK Contact). There was a thai guy advertising his shuttle service as well on our FB thread as follows:

If you need a taxi to pick up at Laem Chabang Port for Bangkok Tour or Pattaya Tour, contact me.
WhatsApp +66634455363
Email: booking@djtumsambartaxiservicesoi8.com

When I read your post, I knew I recognized that name - DJ Tumsambar. I went back and checked my notes, and yep, that is who we booked for our transfers from Pattaya to BKK Airport a few months ago.

We booked in advance by communicating with him through WhatsApp, which worked out well. We were visiting Thailand by land (not cruise), and needed a transfer with pick up at 10:30am, from our hotel, the Dusit Thani Pattaya, to BKK Airport, this was on Thursday, Dec. 22, 2022; for 2 adults with 1 bag each. The amount quoted for this transfer (just over an hour) was 1200THB (around $33 usd) plus we gave a small tip. DJ contacted us the day before by WhatsApp to let us know that his cousin would actually be doing the transfer, as he had a tour booking, and all worked out fine. 

If it is a holiday or festival day, or you want someone to take you somewhere and wait for you, then I expect it would cost more, and likely has gone up in the past 11 months, but this will give you an idea of what we were quoted for a basic transfer. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm curious about the Sanctuary of Truth.  I'd like to stop somewhere between Laem Chabang and Bangkok.  But can anyone  offer a guess as to how much time that would add to a trip from the port to the Sanctuary, quick look around, and on to Bangkok center city?

The Sanctuary of Truth is about 35 minutes south from Laem Chabang,
Bangkok is just under 2 hours north from Laem Chabang,

The two don't tie together well

JB 🙂

On 11/14/2023 at 7:25 PM, John Bull said:

The Sanctuary of Truth is about 35 minutes south from Laem Chabang,
Bangkok is just under 2 hours north from Laem Chabang,

The two don't tie together well

JB 🙂

Thank you.  I'm trying to figure out where to break up the longish drive from Laem Chabang.  The driver suggested the Sanctuary, but it just seems too out of the way.  So I'll probably look further.  There's so much in Bangkok.....

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from there.  I hired a taxi ahead of time with Pattaya Express.  Was about $60 to our hotel in Bangkok.  Super easy to work with.  Do not wait until you arrive to get a taxi!  The ship will also provide transport but only to the city center, then you still have to get to your hotel

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 3:20 PM, davela2 said:

We just got back from there.  I hired a taxi ahead of time with Pattaya Express.  Was about $60 to our hotel in Bangkok.  Super easy to work with.  Do not wait until you arrive to get a taxi!  The ship will also provide transport but only to the city center, then you still have to get to your hotel

Hello, just want to confirm you had no issues with Pattaya Express picking you from Laem Chabang cruise port to bangkok.. I saw this company is cheaper but less reviews, so just want to confirm.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 12:20 PM, wahwah1 said:

Hello, just want to confirm you had no issues with Pattaya Express picking you from Laem Chabang cruise port to bangkok.. I saw this company is cheaper but less reviews, so just want to confirm.

Thank you.

I just saw this . .  no problems.  We got off the ship a lot quicker than I assumed when I prearranged the time so we had to wait about 45 mins for them, but that wasn't their fault

• Thanks 1

@holidayhelen

GRAB is the way to go in Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore etc. - it´s comparable to Uber.
Download the Grab App and you are all set.

We used Grab for our rides to the Sanctuary of Truth in Pattaya, the trip to the floating market (before it burned down 🥲) and back to the port. All simple to do. You see the fare in advance and the availability of cars in the area.

To have data available on the trip, I recommend Airalo Asia eSim. Worked in all the ports.

Here´s what we did on the cruise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

@holidayhelen

GRAB is the way to go in Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore etc. - it´s comparable to Uber.
Download the Grab App and you are all set.

We used Grab for our rides to the Sanctuary of Truth in Pattaya, the trip to the floating market (before it burned down 🥲) and back to the port. All simple to do. You see the fare in advance and the availability of cars in the area.

To have data available on the trip, I recommend Airalo Asia eSim. Worked in all the ports.

Here´s what we did on the cruise.

Is the floating market no longer??

We are leaving next Tues

Thanks H

19 minutes ago, holidayhelen said:

Is the floating market no longer??

We are leaving next Tues

Thanks H

A part of it burned down and is closed... I have no idea how much is still left and if it´s worth going there. The Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens are a possible and nice alternative.