Travel kettle

Werangels

9 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That's why I was careful to say "all of the time" because you can't guarantee they'll be kept separate. Certainly Journey and Quest were not like Onward and that isn't enough reason for me to stick to a particular ship. Lol 

Phil 

I agree, we’ve never been on Onward & have never seen jugs labelled as water (or anything else for that matter).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That's why I was careful to say "all of the time" because you can't guarantee they'll be kept separate. Certainly Journey and Quest were not like Onward and that isn't enough reason for me to stick to a particular ship. Lol 

Phil 

We’ve had plenty of coffee water on the other ships even from jugs with Dymo labeled jugs saying hot water. Possibly the jugs on Onward are a legacy from Princess as they’re obviously not new but the bigger clearer labels make them easier for servers to identify, something that could easily be adopted on the other ships.

• Like 2

As I understand it food hygiene regulations do not allow the use of dymo labels. I agree with Phil they need jugs that are exclusively for either hot water or coffee and as some lines offer dedicated decaf jugs which is even better. The Azamara jugs are so old and got years of “ingrained flavour”.

I also much preferred in the cafe on Viking they bring and leave a vacuum flask (and I mean proper vacuum) to your table at breakfast and leave it with you. That way I got the amount of coffee I wanted pipping hot at the time I chose not when the server stopped by. Tea drinkers had similar service with hot water

Whatever they do, they need to replace their jugs then they need to train the staff because staff are not good for example with the difference between Stillwater and sparkling water so it shows some are so “automaton” they struggle. Maybe these days as they’re less demanding on language skills given recruitment challenges more needs to be clearly colour-coded rather than named to help. (Although I accept the water is and it’s still an issue!) 

It’s probably a good thing that we are not all alike. We both love having a kettle in our cabin and have no desire, unless there is no other option, to have to utilise room service to bring ‘hot’ water. It also negates the possibility of contaminated water being delivered by room service.

The good thing about cruise lines that provide kettles is that you can ask your steward to remove it from your cabin if you are worried about accidents or will not be using it.

We just wish all cruise lines would have the option to request a kettle.

• Like 3

I know this thread wasn't about having a kettle in the cabin, but my wife pointed out a blog to me from someone currently on Journey (in one of the larger suites). They requested a kettle from their cabin attendant and one has been provided.

We now seem to favour veranda cabins as the balance between value and enjoyment (for us) and I think shelf/worktop space in those is tight enough without adding a kettle to the mix, so I shan't be requesting one, even if they become available on a wider basis. We normally use a tea pot, with tea bags, and find the on board tea bags just about OK most of the time. Inspired by this thread, maybe we'll take Yorkshire bags with us next time and 'borrow' a tea pot for the duration.

• Like 4