Looking for advice on Departure city

bklynhtsnyc

Hello all. I’ve cruised out of Barcelona round trip many times. And really prefer if because I find the flight from NYC ez. Accommodations are ez. And just love BCN. However. To not limit my options. I’m debating about Rome, Piraeus, or even Venice. We’ve been to all these ports. But have never arrived or departed from these. Does anyone have any insight in regards to advantages or negatives of using these cities as a start or finish?  Thank you all so much for any help

Edited by bklynhtsnyc

• bklynhtsnyc changed the title to Looking for advice on Departure city
1 hour ago, bklynhtsnyc said:

Hello all. I’ve cruised out of Barcelona round trip many times. And really prefer if because I find the flight from NYC ez. Accommodations are ez. And just love BCN. However. To not limit my options. I’m debating about Rome, Piraeus, or even Venice. We’ve been to all these ports. But have never arrived or departed from these. Does anyone have any insight in regards to advantages or negatives of using these cities as a start or finish?  Thank you all so much for any help

Be aware that Barcelona is now limiting cruise ships - so you may not wind up in Barcelona harbor.  Possibly Tarragona (?).    Also, the ports for Rome and Athens are quite a distance away.  Venice is also trying to eliminate cruise ships so you might be far away there as well.

Which city appeals most to your interests?

Since you've been to Rome and Athens you're aware of the distance to their cruiseports.

The issue with Venice is that only small ships are allowed, so you would probably depart from Trieste or Ravenna which are 2 - 21/2 hrs away. 

If embarkation convenience is your priority, Pireaus is a pretty good option.  It is not difficult or expensive to move between ATH (or Athens) and Pireaus.  Rome/Civitavecchia is also not difficult, but it does involve somewhat more money (a private transfer between Rome and the Port can cost over 120 Euros).  But as one who often travels and cruises in Europe, we think the embarkation port is a relatively minor factor, if one is willing to spend a little money.  When it comes to Europe, we suggest that the itinerary is king.  Once you find a cruise/itinerary that best meets your wants, you can look at the transfer options.  

Venice has become somewhat of a hassle for many cruisers.  In fact, we have an upcoming long cruise that ends in Trieste, and we are not even planning on a visit to Venice (been there many times) because it is a hassle.  The Port of Trieste opens up many other possibilities for a driving trip in Croatia, Slovenia, and even into southern Germany.

Hank

Thank you all so much for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. Last time we were in Venice we docked rt in town and walked everywhere. Had no idea ships now docked much farther away.  We’ve also took the train in from both Civi and Piraeus. And found them manageable. Greatly appreciate it