Smokey on Iona

scooby1

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

My power is always on, I use an old credit card and leave it in the slot. I just have to remember to remove it on the last morning.

I used a cardboard "credit card", the type you get in a new purse or wallet.

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Oh dear, that sounds rather grim.  I hope things improve.  At least the weather should get better soon once you're clear of that area.

Did you encounter the really rough stuff that Selbourne has been mentioning over on Ventura? It sounds like it's been quite a trip on there.

Not grim at all.  Having a excellent time on board.  Gave up wanting pools many cruises ago when they were first come first served and that's game over, I'm not an early riser.  Don't miss it personally though some will.  Not struggled to find a seat in any bars or in the buffet and the Promenade has been cordoned off at the front due to wind so not many walking out so can be busier inside.  Even managed to get in the Olive Grove.  Oh and as I reported in another thread the Marmite has been found in the buffet too.  Only issue I have found is a number of rude people pushing and shoving for things, there's plenty to go round folks...

Vigo was warm-ish but rained on and off.  It has been blustery and raining in the transit from Southampton but by no means the worst I've experienced.  Heading to hopefully sunnier weather now.

More importantly I'm not at work!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Not grim at all.  Having a excellent time on board.  Gave up wanting pools many cruises ago when they were first come first served and that's game over, I'm not an early riser.  Don't miss it personally though some will.  Not struggled to find a seat in any bars or in the buffet and the Promenade has been cordoned off at the front due to wind so not many walking out so can be busier inside.  Even managed to get in the Olive Grove.  Oh and as I reported in another thread the Marmite has been found in the buffet too.  Only issue I have found is a number of rude people pushing and shoving for things, there's plenty to go round folks...

Vigo was warm-ish but rained on and off.  It has been blustery and raining in the transit from Southampton but by no means the worst I've experienced.  Heading to hopefully sunnier weather now.

More importantly I'm not at work!

Glad you're enjoying it.  When I said grim I was referring to the weather and sea conditions which we understood have been pretty rough. I'm pleased it's not Impacting your enjoyment.

As you say horses for courses, ironically I'd dislike intensely no pools as I swim every day early morning for exercise. 

Touch of rain does no harm.  Not ideal, granted, but checking the weather in advance showed Vigo and the transit over the Bay to be wet.  Everywhere else looked fine.  I'll take it.  

Shared Vigo with Sky Princess who left 24 hours behind us.

Hope everyone stays safe with Storm Ciaran.

6 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Oh the other irritant is not being able to zoom in on the where-are-we channel.  Is this old news?  Or is there a secret way?  I recall this from my previous Iona trip but none of the others.

There is a navigation channel on the TV which does show the current ship position, is that what you mean?

1 minute ago, Red Leicester said:

That's the one, but I haven't worked out how to zoom in on the map.  Is it possible?!

I think so, but like you I can't remember how. Is it one of the 4 direction buttons, or is there another button that works like a zoom?

8 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

Tried them all, all return me to the main menu about from the volume control buttons which turn the menu up and down.

Just keep messing around with the direction buttons. Think I used the centre button then the righthand arrow button. You can zoom in 3 times.

• Like 1

This was our wheelchair!

What was really odd is that it was NOT on charge.

We had merely arrived at our cabin, folded it up, placed it in the corner of the cabin and less than 10 minutes later there was smoke coming out of the battery. It has 2 batteries, only one of the them was connected to the wheelchair power but BOTH went at roughly the same time. First smoke poured out, then, in one of them, I could see through a hole on the side and it was glowing! So I took it out of the wheelchair and wanted to get it outside but we'd only been onboard for 10 minutes and so I didn't know where to go. I dropped it there because it went "crack" while I was carrying it. Then I had to run back to the other battery in case my wife was in danger of the other one catching fire, but members of the crew were already there and had seen to it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Glad you were both OK after that fright.  How did you cope for the rest of your cruise?

Not bad, the crew were great. We were a bit embarrassed. We didn't want to cause any inconvenience to everyone else. The cabin smelt for a few days but dissipated soon enough. Luckily our luggage wasn't in the cabin and so it didn't get affected. We were leant a wheelchair from the ship (care of Mobility at Sea) but it was a bit broken and meant that I had to push it everywhere. Last time I had to do this I did my knee in, which is why we bought an electric wheelchair! But this time, my knee stood up to the strain.

• Like 5

On 11/1/2023 at 4:05 PM, jeremiahclinkerbuilt said:

This was our wheelchair!

We had merely arrived at our cabin, folded it up, placed it in the corner of the cabin and less than 10 minutes later there was smoke coming out of the battery. It has 2 batteries, only one of the them was connected to the wheelchair power but BOTH went at roughly the same time. First smoke poured out, then, in one of them, I could see through a hole on the side and it was glowing! So I took it out of the wheelchair and wanted to get it outside but we'd only been onboard for 10 minutes and so I didn't know where to go. I dropped it there because it went "crack" while I was carrying it. Then I had to run back to the other battery in case my wife was in danger of the other one catching fire, but members of the crew were already there and had seen to it. 

Many thanks for providing the facts. I am glad you are both OK and once back home, as presumably the chair and batteries are still under warranty, you can get a replacement.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 4:05 PM, jeremiahclinkerbuilt said:

This was our wheelchair!

Glad you were ok. Where was your cabin?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pete14 said:

Many thanks for providing the facts. I am glad you are both OK and once back home, as presumably the chair and batteries are still under warranty, you can get a replacement.

Thanks.

Yes, although under warranty we've rather lost our faith in this product. But the company are being really helpful, really understanding and are giving us a full refund. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Glad you were ok. Where was your cabin?

Yes, all well, thanks. 

Our cabin was on deck 10. There was a moment as I was running from the cabin carrying the glowing battery when I was faced with the lifts, and thought "I can't go in the lift...I'm going to have to run three flight of stairs to get to deck 7!"