How late can we get off ship at disembarkation?

KBrote

We finish our cruise Friday, Nov. 3, in Athens. They state disembarkation starts at 8:00am. We have a 1:30 flight to Santorini from Athens airport about an hour away. We had thought about arranging a tour on the way to the airport but now we all feel more comfortable just going straight to the airport. How long can we delay getting off the ship and can we carry our luggage off rather than leave it outside our door the night before? We are fine getting to the airport early but would rather not be there 4 hours early! Would love to arrange our Welcome Pickup for 9:30 am. Is this ok? Thank you. 

7 hours ago, KBrote said:

We finish our cruise Friday, Nov. 3, in Athens. They state disembarkation starts at 8:00am. We have a 1:30 flight to Santorini from Athens airport about an hour away. We had thought about arranging a tour on the way to the airport but now we all feel more comfortable just going straight to the airport. How long can we delay getting off the ship and can we carry our luggage off rather than leave it outside our door the night before? We are fine getting to the airport early but would rather not be there 4 hours early! Would love to arrange our Welcome Pickup for 9:30 am. Is this ok? Thank you. 

This should work fine.  We ended in Athens in May and got off around 9:00.   By that time most had already disembarked and it was an easy walk off the ship to the terminal. Grabbed our luggage and was out of the terminal in  10 minutes or so.  

• Like 1

My goal is usually to be one of the last off the ship since I am not a morning person. The times that you need to know (assuming everything is "normal" and not running early/late). Be out of the cabin by 8 am (if you want to be kind to your cabin attendant, get out earlier and put the room-cleaning tag on the door so they know you are out..we aim for 7:30). Go have a leisurely breakfast in Terrace, then hang out in Baristas for some espresso and caneles. When the exit line thins, walk off the ship before 9 am.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

My goal is usually to be one of the last off the ship since I am not a morning person. The times that you need to know (assuming everything is "normal" and not running early/late). Be out of the cabin by 8 am (if you want to be kind to your cabin attendant, get out earlier and put the room-cleaning tag on the door so they know you are out..we aim for 7:30). Go have a leisurely breakfast in Terrace, then hang out in Baristas for some espresso and caneles. When the exit line thins, walk off the ship before 9 am.

On VISTA recently  the restaurants closed  8 or 8:30 am  &  I do not even think Baristas was open    though I did not go & check

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

On VISTA recently  the restaurants closed  8 or 8:30 am  &  I do not even think Baristas was open    though I did not go & check

Same on Regatta...GDR closed at 8 and Terrace at 8:30...enough time to grab some food and relax. Baristas has been open on our four sailings...lots of tip money would be lost if it were closed (or else people are just shaking the barista's hand).

3 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Same on Regatta...GDR closed at 8 and Terrace at 8:30...enough time to grab some food and relax. Baristas has been open on our four sailings...lots of tip money would be lost if it were closed (or else people are just shaking the barista's hand).

Good to know

Easier to see  if Baristas was open on the R ships

Our disembarkation time slot  was 8:30   so getting food was a priority  for us  😉

We tip the day before  so as not to miss them 😉

• Like 1

The current rule is out of your cabin by 8, off the ship by 9.  When you actually can get off depends what you tell them in your debarkation questionnaire.

No point keeping checked luggage with you for the morning of debarkation because you’re then going to be lugging it all around the ship with everyone else’s carryons and backpacks.  Easier to meet your luggage in the terminal, especially as you’re not in a rush to get off the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On our recent cruise on Insignia, Baristas was still open at 0900 when we headed toward the gangway.  Yes, there was a lot of money changing hands.  When we arrived on the disembarkation deck the line was quite long, and people were joining from multiple directions.  Rather than stand in that line we had a seat and waited it out.  It was about 0915 when the line disappeared, and we walked off.

As we sat there we saw a couple with their full sized luggage taking it off the ship, so if you want to take it off yourself in the morning it appears that isn't a problem.  Nobody was keeping track of the color codes they give you for disembarkation, so those codes appear to be more of a "suggestion".

On 10/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

We do similar.  But we don’t lug the hand held, backpack, or small rollaboards with us to breakfast.  Having packed all bags, we leave them in the closet.  I tell the room attendant s/he’s free to clean the room, & we’ll collect the bags after breakfast.  Handshake with some ca$h, big smile, and thank you follow.  Never been a problem. Glad to be one of the last off the ship whenever possible. Most of those folks are just going to be waiting at the airport longer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jockocruiser said:

Glad to be one of the last off the ship whenever possible. Most of those folks are just going to be waiting at the airport longer.

Yep, we had a flight at 1155, so it was either relax on the ship, or wait at the airport. Being in Boston, the cruise terminal is literally just 10 minutes from the airport!  That was weird!