Flying home next fall Quebec City/Newark/Pittsburgh

dgc2861

Hi Everyone,

New to this flying home to US from Canada after our cruise. Lots of questions! There is a 3hr layover in Newark and a 1 hr 45 min layover. Not sure when we go through customs. When we check in at Quebec City airport or Newark. If Newark, I'll get the 3hr layover flight. Do we need to retrieve our bags? Do we have to go all the way to baggage claim to get them? Not sure how this works. Step by step would be so helpful!

Thanks!

Sue in Pgh

23 minutes ago, dgc2861 said:

Hi Everyone,

New to this flying home to US from Canada after our cruise. Lots of questions! There is a 3hr layover in Newark and a 1 hr 45 min layover. Not sure when we go through customs. When we check in at Quebec City airport or Newark. If Newark, I'll get the 3hr layover flight. Do we need to retrieve our bags? Do we have to go all the way to baggage claim to get them? Not sure how this works. Step by step would be so helpful!

Thanks!

Sue in Pgh

YQB doesn't have US preclearance. You will have to clear USCBP in Newark.

https://www.aeroportdequebec.com/en/search/faq?keys=Preclearance+&search=Search

10 hours ago, dgc2861 said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Sue in Pgh

Only some Canadian airports have US customs pre-clearance.  Quebec City does not.  

At check in in Quebec City, your bags should be tagged to your end destination.

You would clear customs/immigration/agriculture in Newark.  I am not aware of any US airport that has the automatic baggage transfer through US customs.  You will very likely be required to pickup your bags in Newark, as you leave the customs area.  There should be a connecting bags belt by the door, where put your bags back into the system.  Since the bags are already tagged to your final destination it is just a mater of dropping them off.