How wheelchair ‘friendly’ is Serenity?

dcsam

Hello fellow cruisers!  Hoping someone here can offer suggestions and opinions. 

We recently returned from the Oceania Regatta and realize we can no longer cruise on that class of ship.  Much too crowded and not wheelchair accessible.  We found Viking Oceans the most accessible, but not welcoming to those in wheelchairs.  It’s too bad as Viking is our favorite line.  So we’re looking at other lines too (Regent, Seabourn), but I’m curious about Crystal. 

Are there any handicap accessible restrooms throughout the ship (Serenity)?

Are the doors out to decks (pool, promenade) push open or automated and are there large thresholds?

Are the hallways on the narrow, average or wider range? Would a standard-size wheelchair be able to navigate around the cleaning cart?  

Thank you in advance for your input. 

Dcsam, the doors out to the pool area from a couple of different areas of the ship are automatic.  I believe not a high threshold.  This is on Deck 12.

The promenade deck which is on a different deck (Deck 7) has heavy doors which are not automatic..

The guest decks are average size in terms of width.  In a standard wheelchair/motor scooter you could navigate the clearing cart as long as they are already pushed close to the wall.

There are some members on this board who utilize wheelchairs/motorized scooters who if they see your post can provide a lot more details than I can.

Depending on where the ship sails you often see people in mobility scooters and some in wheelchairs.

Keith

9 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

I seem to remember that wheelchairs and scooters had to be stored in the room...not in the hall.

Yes and that is for safety reasons.  

This is from the before you sail guide which I think might be of interest to dcsam.

WHEELCHAIR & OTHER ACCESSIBILITY INFORMATION

For complete details and guidelines, guests who have special requirements, physical challenges or need oxygen should refer to our website. The Onboard Accessibility Guide may be requested through our Onboard

Guest Services departments by calling +1 (786) 464–4431, or via email at obgs@crystalcruises.com. All itineraries, fares, programs, promotions and policies are subject to change at the discretion of Crystal.

Keith

Plenty of handicapped restrooms all around the ship. very few obstacles as I recall. If you use a "roll-a-lator" get one that folds side to side rather than front to back. In standard cabins the front to back fold configuration will not fit between the end of the bed and the wall.

4 hours ago, jet65 said:

We’re on Serenity right now, and there are 2 scooters in the hallway. We’re on deck 10.

Often during the day they are there. If you see them overnight then report it.  It's a big no no.  If there was an emergency it could be a catastrophe.

Keith

• Like 3