Emerald vs Sky for Land of the Midnight Sun (Norway)

hapster85

Currently booked on the Emerald for June 2025, but recently realized they also have a similar June 2025 sailing onboard the Sky. Our previous Princess cruises have been on the Star and the Grand, both to Alaska. Now I'm wondering if we should change to the Sky, for a different ship experience, or avoid it for Norway for similar reasons to avoiding the Royal in Alaska.

Thoughts? 

... and I prefer the older ships to the newer Royal class ones, but I respect those who don't. It's good to have choices!

Some of it depends on your personal preferences.

Do you like a full promenade deck?

How concerned are you about a ship's age?

How sensitive are you to crowdedness?

If I were going for an inside cabin, I'd definitely opt for the ship (the Emerald) with a promenade deck for scenic viewing. If I had a balcony (and one thing right on the Royal ships is the very good value available for some of their obstructed view cabins with outsized balconies) then it might simply come down to a price comparison.

Regards,

Walkingsoon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Thanks for the input. For what it's worth, we rebooked on the Sky. Had a mini-suite on Emerald, but those were a bit pricey on Sky, so opted for a standard balcony. Looking forward to the trip.

Balcony will be a lot, repeat a  lot smaller but not necessarily needed on this cruise. 

My favorite option for a bigger balcony for a great price on the Sky and Discovery is to start in the interior category, pick Deluxe Balcony Obstructed, go to choose your room, Mid ship, deck 8 and look for rooms 406-412  (either side of ship).  These rooms are on the bump ( and/or dip) - bigger (angled) balcony.  The obstruction is the white shade panels covering Alfredo's below.  No obstruction of a lifeboat or looking straight out.  A great savings, a slightly larger room ( you get the little sofa) and a little bigger balcony.

Also rooms approx 420 - 437 in the regular obstructed balcony category.  Double check - I really love the cruise deck plans website for pictures, and the deck drag feature.  You can use the free edition.

OH - and don't forget to get someone to add the NUP code (meaning no upgrades) and keep your fingers crossed they don't "upgrade" you. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

My favorite option for a bigger balcony for a great price on the Sky and Discovery is to start in the interior category, pick Deluxe Balcony Obstructed, go to choose your room, Mid ship, deck 8 and look for rooms 406-412  (either side of ship).  These rooms are on the bump ( and/or dip) - bigger (angled) balcony.  The obstruction is the white shade panels covering Alfredo's below.  No obstruction of a lifeboat or looking straight out.  A great savings, a slightly larger room ( you get the little sofa) and a little bigger balcony.

Also rooms approx 420 - 437 in the regular obstructed balcony category.  Double check - I really love the cruise deck plans website for pictures, and the deck drag feature.  You can use the free edition.

OH - and don't forget to get someone to add the NUP code (meaning no upgrades) and keep your fingers crossed they don't "upgrade" you. 

Actually chose a cabin on Deck 9 (Dolphin) that's on the bump. Deck 8 shows sold out for most categories. I guess that deck is fairly popular.