Breakaway Feb. Nola Cruise Info Please

eltigre

How or when can I find out what nights and times the theater show will be? Looking through old Freestyles on line it was Rock of Ages and then Six but different days of the cruise.  I wanted to make reservations for the specialty restaurants and trying to plan dinners, shows and port excursions when "free stylin" at my age requires planning.  🙂

Edited by eltigre

• eltigre changed the title to Breakaway Feb. Nola Cruise Info Please

We are on the February 18 cruise. Do not think you can find information on the shows this early. Do not think Six or Rock of Ages will be on the ship then. I went ahead and booked our specialty dining but may have to change things. Will be what it will be. I am more concerned about when the "Rumors" show will be performed in one of the bars.

7 hours ago, eltigre said:

So much about this ship that I don’t know what is rumors?

That's a show in The Pour House (or maybe it's named Syd Norman's Pour House on that ship), the cast performs Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album from start to finish with little story interjections about how the album came to be.  I saw it on the Escape in March - it was EXCELLENT!  Someone sitting near me walked out at the end saying it was the best show he's seen on board a ship...

That show can't be booked - it's first-come, first-serve, I was in line 90 minutes pre-show and was about 50 people back!

Edited by hallux

The Breakaway does not arrive in New Orleans until late November this year.

Shows are usually at about 7:00 P.M. and 9:00 P.M.  Sometimes a little bit later.  Entertainment schedules are set by the Cruise Director each week and sometimes daily when needed.  Some of the larger Broadway production shows are no longer on board--new productions are supposed to be coming in January and February.

Enjoy the City of New Orleans and The Breakaway.

Make sure you are outside as you pull away from the pier in New Orleans.  You will make a "U" turn in The River and then head South down River to the Gulf of Mexico.

Prior to casting off find a nice spot on the port side of the ship, yes you. Will be facing away from the city, but as said above, the ship turns so you will then be able to see the Quarter.  It goes by very quickly so get situated early.  Love the ride down the river, never get tired of it.

I'm on the January 21st Breakaway sailing from New Orleans.  On my Cruise Planner, entertainment is not yet reservable.  However, when I drill into the description for "Six", the following message is shown on that page under the description:

"Beginning January 26th, 2024, SIX will no longer be offered."

Thank you everyone for the info.

hallux thank you for the heads up. Love Fleetwood. In line for an hour and a half! How does one find out ahead of time the date?

SimplyAlbert was the port line up the same as now? Cozumel, Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya. The dailies I saw seemed to have Roatan & Harvest Caye reversed.

This will be the largest ship we have been on and I have to admit I am wondering how crowded it will feel and how much time I am going to spend in line or missing things I wanted to see/do because of the sheer number of people.

Also getting off at the ports when not doing ship excursions, especially if tendering at Roatan.

Edited by eltigre

33 minutes ago, eltigre said:

hallux thank you for the heads up. Love Fleetwood. In line for an hour and a half! How does one find out ahead of time the date?

SimplyAlbert was the port line up the same as now? Cozumel, Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya. The dailies I saw seemed to have Roatan & Harvest Caye reversed.

This will be the largest ship we have been on and I have to admit I am wondering how crowded it will feel and how much time I am going to spend in line or missing things I wanted to see/do because of the sheer number of people.

Also getting off at the ports when not doing ship excursions, especially if tendering at Roatan.

(1) On Embarkation Day, the Theater Box Office (forward Deck 7), should have list of shows are showing in which venue and what time.  You can make your reservations if required with them.

(2) Itineraries are sometimes reversed with little advance warning for a couple of reasons (a) how many ships are scheduled at a port and (b) weather conditions.

(3) Rarely do you need to tender at Roatan.

(4) In Costa Maya, just of the ship in the Plaza, a group of men climb to the top of a tall pole and dance to the ground to the beat of a very loud drum and drummer at the top of the pole.  Warning, they do ask for donations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eltigre said:

I went back through my photos and it looks like we did Costa Maya (2/7), Harvest Caye (2/8), Roatan (2/9), and Cozumel (2/10).

Definitely book an excursion in Roatan.  There's not a lot to do in the port area.  DH and I are seasoned travelers and on our first trip to NCL's port we decided to venture out of the port area on our own.  It was pretty sketchy and we were both thinking about heading back when the heavens opened up and made the decision for us!  We ended up booking a catamaran/snorkel trip this trip and it was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I'm on the January 21st Breakaway sailing from New Orleans.  On my Cruise Planner, entertainment is not yet reservable.  However, when I drill into the description for "Six", the following message is shown on that page under the description:

"Beginning January 26th, 2024, SIX will no longer be offered."

Hoping the new shows will be good. Saw Six last year and even though I’m very interested in the six wives of Henry the Eighth and enjoy Broadway musicals, found the show very repetitive and I would not want to see it again 

26 minutes ago, eltigre said:

Question on the safety briefing, is it virtual and then just show up at your muster station?

Yes  Your room key card needs to be scanned at your Muster Station.  Takes just a couple of minutes.  I do it when I first board.

On 10/24/2023 at 10:07 AM, eltigre said:

We went last week of January this year (2023).  It was full, buy not overly crowded.  Likely few kids as you will be before spring break.   It will always feel crowded if you hang out in the atrium all day, or try to eat at the prime hours 5-6, etc.  There are several nice bars on board, especially on the waterfront deck 8.  If you only get drinks at the pool bar on at sea days, or the atrium during events, then you will have to wait some.  If you wander and find the other bars (with nice views) then they aren't as crowded.

Mardi Gras is Tuesday 13 Feb.  If you sail after that NOLA should be ok to get around in.  If you are sailing the Sunday the 11th, then things on shore could be crowded, even early in the morning.  Parades start early that weekend, and they have to shut down streets in advance.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2023 at 5:01 AM, hallux said:

That's a show in The Pour House (or maybe it's named Syd Norman's Pour House on that ship), the cast performs Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album from start to finish with little story interjections about how the album came to be.  I saw it on the Escape in March - it was EXCELLENT!  Someone sitting near me walked out at the end saying it was the best show he's seen on board a ship...

That show can't be booked - it's first-come, first-serve, I was in line 90 minutes pre-show and was about 50 people back!

Did they let you in the bar before the show started? Standing in line for 90 minutes does not sound like fun. Do they limit how many people are allowed in the bar, probably most of them standing? 

2 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Did they let you in the bar before the show started? Standing in line for 90 minutes does not sound like fun. Do they limit how many people are allowed in the bar, probably most of them standing? 

The Pourhouse is more of a show room than a bar. It seats 121 people. There are 4200 people on the ship. If  you want to see a show, you need to stand in line. 

image.png.2cce188eb774efe36159aca645d70163.png

• Thanks 1

BirdTravels, you have done Breakaway, was it Caribbean? Roatan by chance? I am looking for  reasonably priced transportation to West Bay Beach area with a lounger, shade, pool. I can buy my own beverages & food or AI if reasonable. I will bring my own snorkel gear but need shower & change room with locker for my stuff. Too much to ask???? 🙂 

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The Pourhouse is more of a show room than a bar. It seats 121 people. There are 4200 people on the ship. If  you want to see a show, you need to stand in line. 

image.png.2cce188eb774efe36159aca645d70163.png

Thank you for the information about the Pourhouse and the coffee makers in the suites. 

5 hours ago, eltigre said:

BirdTravels, you have done Breakaway, was it Caribbean? Roatan by chance? I am looking for  reasonably priced transportation to West Bay Beach area with a lounger, shade, pool. I can buy my own beverages & food or AI if reasonable. I will bring my own snorkel gear but need shower & change room with locker for my stuff. Too much to ask???? 🙂 

Have you been over to the Roatan Ports of Call board?  There should be information there for what you are looking for.  Or start a post with this question and you might get replies from people who have been there on various cruise lines. . 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 2:13 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

We went last week of January this year (2023).  It was full, buy not overly crowded.  Likely few kids as you will be before spring break.  

Depending on what week they are going this might not be true. We will be on the Breakaway with kids the last week of February as that is a break week for New Hampshire so just a heads up. 🙂

16 hours ago, eltigre said:

I highly recommend Rony's Tours - Sonia if available..  it was VERY reasonably priced, she picks you up at the terminal and will take you anywhere you want, as long as you want.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pezgirlroy77 said:

last week of February as that is a break week for New Hampshire so just a heads up. 🙂

In a lot of cases municipal schools in the Northeast have both a Winter break (often President's week in my area) AND a Spring break sometime between VERY late March and mid April, coinciding with Easter usually.