Queen Anne

Minnie29

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Our previous calls to Liverpool on QM2 have been starboard side to the quay but I believe she is going to be out in the river so may turn round. 

Looking at the Cruise Liverpool site it seems about 50/50 for other ships.

On tonight’s BBC North West News bulletin there was a topic about Queen Anne’s naming ceremony and how the Pilot is training her approach to the pier. She is prepared to dock starboard side so she should turn around on River Mersey.

Edited by michalmaron
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

So long as the bottle breaks unlike on Queen Victoria. Question is, will it be the same person doing the naming. 

Still hoping for The Princess Royal!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Still hoping for The Princess Royal!

There are no members of the Royal Family with any scheduled engagements on Monday.

Being in Liverpool and being Queen Anne then it could be Anne Robinson😂

Edited by david63
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, david63 said:

There are no members of the Royal Family with any scheduled engagements on Monday.

Well she is dating Queen Camilla's ex so it would be keeping it in the family almost ...

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, Jerry987654321 said:

Thank you for the pictures.  We are booked in the Mersey suite Q1 for next year, Northern Lights voyage.  Cannot figure out from what I find online how the layout behind the bed connects to the Master bath and 2nd bath?  Seems like if that is true it would be unusual.  Your pictures look wonderful.  If you don't mind sharing, is it Q1 or Q2?  Thanks again.

Looks there are doors either side (i've added the red arrows), one to the small shower room on the left and one on right to the main bathroom, and then behind that is the dressing room which looks like it has two doors. Looks very nice!  Done a master suite on the QV and it doen't have the extra toilet/shower room. 

q1.png

3 hours ago, david63 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised, almost everything else of this Hyped UP new ship has been dumbed down.

As one Cunard senior exc told me  "Sir /Mr ....  the concept of QA will be completely different to what you may have already been use to across our fleet "    😡

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised, almost everything else of this Hyped UP new ship has been dumbed down.

As one Cunard senior exc told me  "Sir /Mr ....  the concept of QA will be completely different to what you may have already been use to across our fleet "    😡

It didn’t seem all that different to me. I obviously haven’t travelled enough on Cunard. Perhaps I should do further research.

• Haha 2

Just now, exlondoner said:

It didn’t seem all that different to me. I obviously haven’t travelled enough on Cunard. Perhaps I should do further research.

Just a couple examples 

Being a Gorilla , I doubt the use of the Queens Room is not your usual go to place for dancing in the evening .

No Bar Stools in the Commodore ( often ideal for those of us who travel solo) 

Canapés withdrawn in public Bars ( considering the high cost of drinks) 

Club restaurant no longer an intimate dining experience ( 335 covers as apposed to 95 on the Vista) 

my list could go on and on. 

I believe you were also slightly disappointed with a few things , wasn't it you who referred to the Grills Lounge as a Hell Hole .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bell Boy said:

Just a couple examples 

Being a Gorilla , I doubt the use of the Queens Room is not your usual go to place for dancing in the evening .

No Bar Stools in the Commodore ( often ideal for those of us who travel solo) 

Canapés withdrawn in public Bars ( considering the high cost of drinks) 

Club restaurant no longer an intimate dining experience ( 335 covers as apposed to 95 on the Vista) 

my list could go on and on. 

I believe you were also slightly disappointed with a few things , wasn't it you who referred to the Grills Lounge as a Hell Hole .

Sorry, what is a gorilla, and why am I one, or is it you who is one? It wasn’t entirely clear.

I didn’t, as far as I am aware, say I loved everything about QA. I merely said I didn't  think it was that different from the other ships. There are things I dislike about them all, but far more things I like about them all.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Sorry, what is a gorilla, and why am I one, or is it you who is one? It wasn’t entirely clear.

I didn’t, as far as I am aware, say I loved everything about QA. I merely said I didn't  think it was that different from the other ships. There are things I dislike about them all, but far more things I like about them all.

By Gorilla, I am assuming it's also the term 'G'riller'.

Our final view is that QA IS different from the other Cunard ships. That's not necessarily a bad thing but she's not a Cunard ship in the traditional sense and she does have a couple of decidedly questionable 'design' features.

As I have said, we would not choose to sail on her over the Vistas if they were sailing from Southampton but as a needs must, she's fine.

1 hour ago, richard_london said:

Looks there are doors either side (i've added the red arrows), one to the small shower room on the left and one on right to the main bathroom, and then behind that is the dressing room which looks like it has two doors. Looks very nice!  Done a master suite on the QV and it doen't have the extra toilet/shower room. 

q1.png

The central bed layout is similar to that of the deck 7 1s on QV.

If the door designs are as QA's 2s, the interior doors are of the pocket design which close/open on incredibly strong magnetic catches. So strong, I thought we were captives in the bedroom on the first morning as I couldn't open the door without brute strength!😀

I will be able to post photos next year,

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Our final view is that QA IS different from the other Cunard ships. That's not necessarily a bad thing but she's not a Cunard ship in the traditional sense and she does have a couple of decidedly questionable 'design' features.

As I have said, we would not choose to sail on her over the Vistas if they were sailing from Southampton but as a needs must, she's fine.

Ah, why not say so? 

I just don’t see a difference, or certainly no more than the difference between QM2 and the Vistas. I don’t think I have a nose for the essence of Cunard that so many people miss, though I seem to remember many similar comments when QV, in particular, was introduced. I would choose the Vistas over her, firstly because of the Grills Lounge (and Courtyard) and also simply because they are smaller and easier to move around, and, particularly, because it is less of an expedition to each the Library, though the view when you get there is much better on QA. I also think, with a few obvious exceptions, QA is a much more beautiful ship on the inside.

Anyway, I must practice my howling for next year.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Ah, why not say so? 

I just don’t see a difference, or certainly no more than the difference between QM2 and the Vistas. I don’t think I have a nose for the essence of Cunard that so many people miss, though I seem to remember many similar comments when QV, in particular, was introduced. I would choose the Vistas over her, firstly because of the Grills Lounge (and Courtyard) and also simply because they are smaller and easier to move around, and, particularly, because it is less of an expedition to each the Library, though the view when you get there is much better on QA. I also think, with a few obvious exceptions, QA is a much more beautiful ship on the inside.

Anyway, I must practice my howling for next year.

Maybe by choice, I would go for the more subdued decor of the Vistas and I agree on the pure logistics walking around and preference for the smaller ship, and the Grills area.

We will get used to QA, we have to but I hope Cunard bring QV back to S'ton for summer '27!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

That colloquial term for Grills users goes back certainly to QE2, and one book I've got says it was also used right back to Aquitania, which had a Grill Room. The QE2 Grill Room became Princess Grill, when Queens Grill was launched very soon after QE2 entered service (1970?), and those who used either Grill were known as Gorillas. I've also heard Godzillas. Verandah - the steak alternative dining option - takes its name from Verandah Grill, which was on the original Queen Mary and equivalent to Queens Grill now - there wasn't a Princess grill equivalent on the original Queen Mary.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

That colloquial term for Grills users goes back certainly to QE2, and one book I've got says it was also used right back to Aquitania, which had a Grill Room. The QE2 Grill Room became Princess Grill, when Queens Grill was launched very soon after QE2 entered service (1970?), and those who used either Grill were known as Gorillas. I've also heard Godzillas. Verandah - the steak alternative dining option - takes its name from Verandah Grill, which was on the original Queen Mary and equivalent to Queens Grill now - there wasn't a Princess grill equivalent on the original Queen Mary.

I assumed that but being a relatively Cunard newbie I use the term 'G'riller. Less  'ruthless'.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Never heard it. Just shows how much I’m lacking in the Cunard spirit. May be why I like the new ship. Wasn’t the Verandah Grill an extra cost restaurant on the first Queen Mary. I thought the first class restaurant was that wonderful room with the map and the moving ships.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Never heard it. Just shows how much I’m lacking in the Cunard spirit. May be why I like the new ship. Wasn’t the Verandah Grill an extra cost restaurant on the first Queen Mary. I thought the first class restaurant was that wonderful room with the map and the moving ships.

Yes correct, it was supposed to be a specifically grilled food service, and it was all about how Cunard started to leverage income from additional services. So it went from that Grill, to the two QG/PG Grill levels now, where the food may or may not be grilled but the fares are a lot higher. And as an entry level student of these things, I'm kind of fascinated by how the QA extra restaurant options, since in a way we are going full circle back to QM. 

27 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Yes correct, it was supposed to be a specifically grilled food service, and it was all about how Cunard started to leverage income from additional services. So it went from that Grill, to the two QG/PG Grill levels now, where the food may or may not be grilled but the fares are a lot higher. And as an entry level student of these things, I'm kind of fascinated by how the QA extra restaurant options, since in a way we are going full circle back to QM. 

I don’t know whether it had been done on previous Cunard ships, but didn’t the Titanic have an extra cost version of Gatti’s restaurant on board, with Gatti’s staff.

42 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t know whether it had been done on previous Cunard ships, but didn’t the Titanic have an extra cost version of Gatti’s restaurant on board, with Gatti’s staff.

Yes, Luigi Gatti ran a restaurant concession called À la Carte on B deck of Titanic as well as Olympic, along with 2 upscale restaurants in London. On Titanic it was for First Class passengers only, but it was at a hefty supplement to the standard First cabin fare. It was compared by some observers to the Ritz Hotel restaurant in London. Linked by a corridor was Café Parisien, which was more informal brasserie, but it shared the same menu as the restaurant. Mr. Gatti was unfortunately on Titanic and went down with the ship, he is buried in Halifax. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Pushpit said:

I'd always assumed the Verandah took its name from the Verandah Cafe, which certainly existed on the Lusitania, so I assume also on the Mauretania. Possibly the Verandah Grill's name developed from the Verandah Cafe?

• Like 1

Except that on LUSITANIA it did not serve anything more substantial than bovril and crackers at 11am and tea in the afternoon.  It was fully exposed to the elements astern and as plainly furnished as a bus shelter. Indeed it was really a place to get vaguely out of the cold and wind and have something hot to drink. 

Cunard were, in fact, very late to the extra cost restuarant idea pioneered (like almost all other ocean liner luxuries) by the Germans back in 1905. AQUITANIA was the first Cunarder to have an extra tariff restaurant and that was soon removed.  Cunard made the point that one need not spend more to get the best in dining.  

The real inspiration of the "Grill" stems from QUEEN MARY's Verandah Grill but that was more an extra cost supper club with a very limited menu and dancing. Not a restaurant per se.  I am not even sure it was open for luncheon.  I doubt it. It was the same concept, less the dance floor, that QE2's original Grill Restaurant had.  That had a wonderful little bar "below stairs" which was still around in the late 1970s.  You actually entered the Grill from that.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Clewgarnet said:

I'd always assumed the Verandah took its name from the Verandah Cafe, which certainly existed on the Lusitania, so I assume also on the Mauretania. Possibly the Verandah Grill's name developed from the Verandah Cafe?

There was a Verandah Café that started life on Titanic (also Olympic) but it was Verandah Grill on QM. The Café was almost directly above À la Carte, so it was on the top passenger deck A. There are some overtones of the Winter Gardens since unlike Lusitania and Mauretania, Verandah was enclosed on Titanic, but had big windows, a light structure and doors to the First Class Promenade Deck which went all around like QM2 deck 7. It really was a Café, similar to Carinthia on QM2 and QE, so mainly drinks and light snacks.

So that means QV, QE and QM2 have a venue that vaguely connects them to the Titanic, QM2 particularly so given that annoying doorway to deck 8 terrace pool area. There must be something on QA that links back to Titanic, apart from the house flag on the lapel of every member of staff', but I haven't worked it out yet.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2024 at 8:12 PM, Pushpit said:

Yes, Luigi Gatti ran a restaurant concession called À la Carte on B deck of Titanic as well as Olympic, along with 2 upscale restaurants in London. On Titanic it was for First Class passengers only, but it was at a hefty supplement to the standard First cabin fare. It was compared by some observers to the Ritz Hotel restaurant in London. Linked by a corridor was Café Parisien, which was more informal brasserie, but it shared the same menu as the restaurant. Mr. Gatti was unfortunately on Titanic and went down with the ship, he is buried in Halifax. 

How can he be buried in Halifax if he went down on the ship?