Princess insurance or not

teddie2

On 10/24/2023 at 12:32 PM, teddie2 said:

Has anyone purchased the princess insurance and had to use it? If so how was the experience? Am I better off getting my insurance elsewhere? I have purchased insurance for past trips when there has been a substantial amount that would not be refunded. Last trip I only took only medical from Berkshire Hathaway and got all my costs back from a medical issue I had. Most companies I have researched complaints are all the same the companies try not to pay out. I know my credit card covers the trip so maybe that's enough.

I don't see it on the policy (we have Princess Platinum) but does anyone know if we can get reimbursed for missed ports of call due to weather related issues?

1 hour ago, crawford said:

I don't see it on the policy (we have Princess Platinum) but does anyone know if we can get reimbursed for missed ports of call due to weather related issues?

You need to look at the cruise contract. Ports are not guaranteed. Even without insurance you will get port fees back but no insurance I know of will pay your cruise fare for missing a port

• Thanks 1

We always get the insurance through Princess. We are Elite so we get the upgraded insurance for the cost of the basic insurance, which is nice. We had to cancel a cruise to take care of a family member who needed hospice care in our home.  The claim was easy.  We got a statement from the hospice care company that said we needed to be home due to the illness, and submitted it to Aeon along with proof of expenses.  They reimbursed us the full amount we claimed without questioning anything within a month.  They didnt, however, reimburse us for the cost of the insurance.  We knew that going in.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:32 PM, teddie2 said:

Has anyone purchased the princess insurance and had to use it? If so how was the experience? Am I better off getting my insurance elsewhere? I have purchased insurance for past trips when there has been a substantial amount that would not be refunded. Last trip I only took only medical from Berkshire Hathaway and got all my costs back from a medical issue I had. Most companies I have researched complaints are all the same the companies try not to pay out. I know my credit card covers the trip so maybe that's enough.

It appears that you are from New York and unfortunately New York state doesn't allow you to purchase cruise line insurance because of the cancel for any reason clause.  I don't know when the changed this because I used to purchase it when I lived in NY. I recently moved to Florida and when I was booking my cruise I wanted the insurance. Princess still had me as a NY resident even though I booked the cruise as a Florida resident. They had to make the change manually and then I was able to purchase it.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Thanks 1

Also important to check coverages on your individual health insurance.   It sometimes has coverage Worldwide for "urgent or emergency " care.

Second, for trip insurance,  several credit cards insure against missed trips etc for almost anything except simply deciding not to go.  Chase Sapphire up to 20K.  They are also primary insurance on auto rentals of up to 28 days.  Am sure AMEX has something similar on some cards.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2024 at 9:26 PM, Donwoods123 said:

We always get the insurance through Princess. We are Elite so we get the upgraded insurance for the cost of the basic insurance, which is nice. We had to cancel a cruise to take care of a family member who needed hospice care in our home.  The claim was easy.  We got a statement from the hospice care company that said we needed to be home due to the illness, and submitted it to Aeon along with proof of expenses.  They reimbursed us the full amount we claimed without questioning anything within a month.  They didnt, however, reimburse us for the cost of the insurance.  We knew that going in.

i have purchased PVP in the past as an Elite, but have never used it. We missed ports of call in Iceland last month but saw nothing in the contract about missed ports. Port charges were removed very quickly on our folio.

My question is whether or not adding Princess Plus increases the price of the insurance, since it is really not part of the basic cruise fare. We bought Plus while onboard last time but figure they will raise the price in 2025.

18 minutes ago, crawford said:

i have purchased PVP in the past as an Elite, but have never used it. We missed ports of call in Iceland last month but saw nothing in the contract about missed ports. Port charges were removed very quickly on our folio.

My question is whether or not adding Princess Plus increases the price of the insurance, since it is really not part of the basic cruise fare. We bought Plus while onboard last time but figure they will raise the price in 2025.

Yes, if you purchase plus/premier cruise packages before the cruise it is considered part of the fare, and the princess trip insurance cost goes up accordingly.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Yes, if you purchase plus/premier cruise packages before the cruise it is considered part of the fare, and the princess trip insurance cost goes up accordingly.

So has anyone purchased PVP and did the Plus add-on after the fact? 

On 10/25/2023 at 7:19 AM, Earthworm Jim said:

Finding trip insurance online is easy, and you'll probably get better coverage for the same money that way. I use The Trip Insurance Store, which if you aren't bothered by their amateurish but excellent website, gives you excellent customer service if you have questions or problems. And they prescreen all the companies for you and give you a side by side comparison.

Other people prefer Insure My Trip, which I suspect is fine too.

Agree with comment that third party insurance is easy and probably better. Insure my Trip great and Foursqare good. Just tried Trip Insurance and things were quite a bit higher (we were seeking med and evac only). Web site was wonky (Not sure how amateurish and excellent fit in the same description).

A few thoughts.....1)  do you need trip cancellation at all? Insurance is supposed to cover financial impacting events and while I would hardly be happy over the loss on a cruise that has already been paid for (you would still get taxes, fees, excursions, etc. back) it isn't a life changer. Do you insure a car worth 10k for collision-probably not a sound idea. We make sure we are covered for evac and medical which is where the potential big money lies (analogy to liability on auto).

2) there is great and 'free' trip cancellation out there on credit cards. Chase Sappire Pref at 95$ a year covers trip cancellation (and luggage and trip interuption and delay.. My new Chase IHG card has it as does Chase Hyatt, AMEX Plat and Venture X.  Using a CC with trip cancellation one needs to focus on evacuation and medical (AMEX Plat and Sapphire Reserve have this b ut are high fee cards) which is amazingly cheap. For two weeks upcoming coverage (which is greater than Princess Platinum) is 66 bucks. We paid 20 bucks for a one week cruise last Jan with a Warren Buffet insurance company.

There is no one size fits all but I would urge to at least examine trip cancellation using a CC and then using third party to cover all important med and evacuation.

Just now, voljeep said:

same - pay medial on ship folio - then file claim, then file with Aon

I just get reimbursed for medical from my health provider takes care of pretty much  all medical issues including X rays when I broke 3 ribs last year

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

I just get reimbursed for medical from my health provider takes care of pretty much  all medical issues including X rays when I broke 3 ribs last year

Aon picked up my copays and deductibles for aftercare followup when back home

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I have not had many co pays even my chest CT scan at my provider was covered. So nice having Medicare

And to be very clear - your insurance outside the US is Medicare Advantage (part C).  Every one of these is different for coverages,  notification requirements (mine is 48 hours or as soon as practical) and limits of coverages. 

With Chase Sapphire and a great Advantage plan we do not buy other insurance. 

5 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

And to be very clear - your insurance outside the US is Medicare Advantage (part C).  Every one of these is different for coverages,  notification requirements (mine is 48 hours or as soon as practical) and limits of coverages. 

With Chase Sapphire and a great Advantage plan we do not buy other insurance. 

I have placed claims up to a month from time of treatment and even more than a week after cruise ended. Kaiser Medicare Advantage NW

27 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have placed claims up to a month from time of treatment and even more than a week after cruise ended. Kaiser Medicare Advantage NW

27 minutes ago, memoak said:

My only question is other than medical coverage with Medicare and/or Medicare advantage - I don’t think it covers getting you home or due to trip delays it doesn’t cover reimbursement for hotels, meals etc.  those are the reasons we do take the cruise insurance

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

And to be very clear - your insurance outside the US is Medicare Advantage (part C). 

My Medigap (Part G) also covers medical when out of the country.

There are some great aspects to Medicare! I haven't been on it long enough to know if I'm going to prefer it to insurance through an employer but a lot of my older friends do.

I am thinking of purchasing the Princess Vacation Protection for my upcoming cruise.  I am Elite, and my cruise fare of $1,365 and taxes/fee of $140 = $1,505pp.  If I want to buy the Platinum plan, Princess site shows 9%, for $130.29pp.   I can’t figure out how it came up with $130.29pp? If cruise fare only, then it should be only $122.85, if total, then it should be $135.45.

Does PVP cover EZ air flights?  My flight is $840pp and it does not seem to be included in the $130.29pp insurance cost. If air is not covered, then I need to buy additional insurance just for the air fare?

7 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I am thinking of purchasing the Princess Vacation Protection for my upcoming cruise.  I am Elite, and my cruise fare of $1,365 and taxes/fee of $140 = $1,505pp.  If I want to buy the Platinum plan, Princess site shows 9%, for $130.29pp.   I can’t figure out how it came up with $130.29pp? If cruise fare only, then it should be only $122.85, if total, then it should be $135.45.

Does PVP cover EZ air flights?  My flight is $840pp and it does not seem to be included in the $130.29pp insurance cost. If air is not covered, then I need to buy additional insurance just for the air fare?

If you add the "Cruise Fare" to the "Required Cruise Fees & Expenses**" and then multiply by 9%, you should come up with the insurance cost.

PVP covers the EZ air flights at no additional cost.

3 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

If you add the "Cruise Fare" to the "Required Cruise Fees & Expenses**" and then multiply by 9%, you should come up with the insurance cost.

PVP covers the EZ air flights at no additional cost.

My cruise fare is $1,365 and required cruise fee and expenses is $140, total = $1,505pp. Times that by 9%, it should be $135.45.  But Princess site shows $130.29.  

For my past cruises, I have always bought non-Princess insurance, and I was told I only need to insure for the cruise fare only, because required expenses, taxes, etc. are always refundable without the need of insurance. For PVP, the insurance premium of 9% needs to include the non-cruise fare expenses also?

You mentioned “PVP covers the EZ air flights at no additional cost”.  So, if I cancel my trip for non-covered reason (CFAR), I will also get 100% of my EZ air paid as FCC?   

28 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

My cruise fare is $1,365 and required cruise fee and expenses is $140, total = $1,505pp. Times that by 9%, it should be $135.45.  But Princess site shows $130.29.  

For my past cruises, I have always bought non-Princess insurance, and I was told I only need to insure for the cruise fare only, because required expenses, taxes, etc. are always refundable without the need of insurance. For PVP, the insurance premium of 9% needs to include the non-cruise fare expenses also?

You mentioned “PVP covers the EZ air flights at no additional cost”.  So, if I cancel my trip for non-covered reason (CFAR), I will also get 100% of my EZ air paid as FCC?   

@chubbypiggy There are two types of fees.  The “required fees” are included in the insurance calculation the “govt taxes and fees” are not.  Make sure your aren’t including them in your calculation

IMG_1476.png

Edited by t&atravel

2 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

There are two types of fees.  The “required fees” are included in the insurance calculation the “govt taxes and fees” are not.  Make sure your aren’t including them in your calculation

IMG_1476.png

Thank you for the explanation.  Yes, after adding those figure, 9% is $130.29.