Boarding Question - Security Check?

Norb V

Hi!

I am booked on the MSC Lirica next month for a transatlantic crossing (Barcelona-Paranagua, I posted my roll call here: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2965447-msc-lirica-november-13th-2023-barcelona-paranagua-brazil).

This will be my first ever cruise and I am wondering what the boarding process is like and, in particularly, if there are bag checks/any prohibited items? I was intending to bring some liquids in glass bottles (mouthwash, 500ml; and apple cider vinegar; 500ml) and I am worried they'll not let me take them on, so it would be good to know in advance what to expect. I think other than that everything I am bringing is pretty standard!

Kind regards,

Robert

There are some prohibited items such as the obvious explosives & weapons.  Alcohol is also not allowed.  As far as other "normal" liquids, I haven't heard of any restrictions.  You may get called to the "naughty room" to prove that the liquids aren't booze, but that souldn't be much of a problem, just a delay in getting your checked bags.  Carry on liquids can be verified right at the scan point. Please note thaty I have not embarked at Barcelona, so I'm not familiar with any local restrictions they may have.

• 2 hours ago, Av8tor said:

There are some prohibited items such as the obvious explosives & weapons.  Alcohol is also not allowed.  As far as other "normal" liquids, I haven't heard of any restrictions.  You may get called to the "naughty room" to prove that the liquids aren't booze, but that souldn't be much of a problem, just a delay in getting your checked bags.  Carry on liquids can be verified right at the scan point. Please note thaty I have not embarked at Barcelona, so I'm not familiar with any local restrictions they may have.

How exactly do they verify liquids? Are they going to make me sip the vinegar and/or mouthwash?

Last month at Port Canaveral for a MSC cruise I had my power strip confiscated by terminal security. They gave me a receipt and told me there would be a table after Customs upon my return to the port where I could retrieve it. In reality, my room stewardess returned it to me on the last evening of the cruise. That was my 10th cruise with MSC and the first time any confiscation had ever happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Last month at Port Canaveral for a MSC cruise I had my power strip confiscated by terminal security. They gave me a receipt and told me there would be a table after Customs upon my return to the port where I could retrieve it. In reality, my room stewardess returned it to me on the last evening of the cruise. That was my 10th cruise with MSC and the first time any confiscation had ever happened.

Power strips with surge protectors are not allowed.