Ordering drinks at bar

Guest Cruisenewbie20181

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

That's the way it was on the Enchanted last March. Maybe things have changed today. 

Next cruise we don't have a package so it'll be easy to keep track of.

It is very easy to keep track when you have a package through the app. Just do to packages and you will see how many drinks have been applied to each account

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

So you are saying that you do buy the Plus Package and that it did happen to you?

It happened the last time we bought a package. Next cruise we have no package. To me it's not worth the price. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, memoak said:

It is very easy to keep track when you have a package through the app. Just do to packages and you will see how many drinks have been applied to each account

It sure is but it's gets tiring having to keep correcting them each day.

I wonder how many people don't check & just accept their erroneous bill at the end of the cruise. 

More of a question rather than an answer I'm afraid as when we next cruise on Sky Princess it will be our first medallion cruise. I have seen people say that because of how bar staff use one medallion that it racks up the 15 drinks and then you get charged even if youv'e have say ten drinks and the wife 5 and the same medallion has been used for all of them. Is there any way that you are advised before going over this allowance or do you just find out that mistakenly you have been charged ?

Just now, Abercrombie2019 said:

I've read so many of your posts where you have been so anti-package that it is surprising that you have ever had one. 

That was before I realized just how over charged it was.

Fool me once and I'll figure out a way around it.  😉

21 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

That was before I realized just how over charged it was.

Fool me once and I'll figure out a way around it.  😉

But you talked about how you have used Rum Runners for years and years (was it ten or 15 years?), and the packages have only been around for a few years.  Why would you buy a package when you've been bringing your own alcohol on board for years?😉

Edited by Abercrombie2019
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

But you talked about how you have used Rum Runners for years and years (was it ten or 15 years?), and the packages have only been around for a few years.  Why would you buy a package when you've been bringing your own alcohol on board for years?😉

Just move along....trust me.... 😵

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Just move along....trust me.... 😵

I know.  I was just in a bit of a mood today.

I appreciate when people share what has actually happened to them.  When someone posts something that obviously didn't happen to them, you kinda have to wonder why.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

I know.  I was just in a bit of a mood today.

I appreciate when people share what has actually happened to them.  When someone posts something that obviously didn't happen to them, you kinda have to wonder why.

Lots of members have posted that they liked Plus when it was $40, but don't do it now that it is $60.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Cruisenewbie20181 said:

Excuse my ignorance. I have the app on my phone does she need the app on her phone with a separate sign in? I usually just sign in with booking number.

When you sign in with Booking Number, you are also including Name and BD.  Presumably, you and spouse have different names and BD's.  You can both sign in at different times on the same device.

2 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

I liked plus when it was Canadian Dollar at par - but I don't imagine that we will be seeing that deal again anytime soon.

Well the cruise fares were at par for a time.  Who knows if they will do that again.  The way the CAD is tanking lately, PCL is likely to boost their set conversion rate from 1.35 to 1.38 or 1.40.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

I bought it when it was cheaper to begin with and quickly realized how overpriced it is. I can sail using my RumRuners adding it to mocktails and get by very nicely. I'll have to dust them off & get ready for my next sailing. Between my husband & I we'll bring around 2 liters total which should last us until we get to St Thomas for a refill.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Lots of members have posted that they liked Plus when it was $40, but don't do it now that it is $60.

Plus at $40 was such an insane deal that it is a mystery how anyone could have ever sailed with it and not gotten to at least the break even point.  I am loathe to fall for all-inclusive packages or offerings.  In fact, aside from PCL, I have NEVER purchased one.  But when I had an offer to get Plus at $40 and get a Specialty Dinner thrown in there as well, as hard as I tried to crunch the numbers, I couldn't figure out how this could be a bad deal. And in my post mortem analysis, I came out way ahead.  And then on my next cruise I had Plus-$50 and I still came out ahead.  Now at $60, it starts to inch closer, but since they started charging for Alfredo's/Gigi's, the math continues to work for us.  In fact, on our next booked cruise, we are going all in for Premier because there are so many Sea Days that the drinking and casual dining opportunities will increase dramatically and we are likely (definitely) going to do at least 2 Specialty Dinners with or without a package.  On a port intensive cruise I would stick with Plus.  But when over half the cruise is Sea Days or an "overnight in port" day, I'm pretty sure that I can give Premier a good working over.     

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Well the cruise fares were at par for a time.  Who knows if they will do that again.  The way the CAD is tanking lately, PCL is likely to boost their set conversion rate from 1.35 to 1.38 or 1.40.

Plus was also at par.  $60 Canadian a day instead of $60 US.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

More of a question rather than an answer I'm afraid as when we next cruise on Sky Princess it will be our first medallion cruise. I have seen people say that because of how bar staff use one medallion that it racks up the 15 drinks and then you get charged even if youv'e have say ten drinks and the wife 5 and the same medallion has been used for all of them. Is there any way that you are advised before going over this allowance or do you just find out that mistakenly you have been charged ?

You can check the app to see how many drinks have been put to your account on any given day and decide for yourself at which point you want to ask to have the next drinks you order charged to the other person's account.  (I'm not onboard atm so can't give you the exact steps for how to find that data.)

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

.....................should last us until we get to St Thomas for a refill.

IDK why, but this got me laughing.  STT is the place for good liquor prices.  Hope the ship isn't delayed.  😉

Need to pick an itinerary that doesn't have STT at the very beginning or end.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Plus was also at par.  $60 Canadian a day instead of $60 US.  

I know.  I was just mentioning the cruise fare as well.  Plus/Premier are part of the cruise fare if elected.  Anyway, a CAD @ par deal would be quite valuable today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisintimer said:

We did not encounter any problems on our account when they asked for cabin number or scanned medallion but we are always together and didn't reach any limits during our cruise.

This has been our experience.  Traveling with three adults, ordering in virtually every bar and lounge, both from servers and bar tenders, sometimes together and sometimes separate, or having one person use the app to order three drinks delivered to us, despite all these variations, at the end of the cruise the drinks have been evenly distributed amongst us with none of us maxing out our allotment. We never had to instruct, explain or cajole.  It just happened.  The ordering was never precise as to who ordered what.  For example, a Martini ordered by my daughter might have ended up on my wife's folio while her glass of wine ended up on my daughter's, but in the end, none of that mattered.  This is not an issue that I would lose a minute of sleep over.  Just check your account on the app periodically to see if the ordering is askew.  Chances are, it won't be.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Plus at $40 was such an insane deal that it is a mystery how anyone could have ever sailed with it and not gotten to at least the break even point.  I am loathe to fall for all-inclusive packages or offerings.  In fact, aside from PCL, I have NEVER purchased one.  But when I had an offer to get Plus at $40 and get a Specialty Dinner thrown in there as well, as hard as I tried to crunch the numbers, I couldn't figure out how this could be a bad deal. And in my post mortem analysis, I came out way ahead.  And then on my next cruise I had Plus-$50 and I still came out ahead.  Now at $60, it starts to inch closer, but since they started charging for Alfredo's/Gigi's, the math continues to work for us.  In fact, on our next booked cruise, we are going all in for Premier because there are so many Sea Days that the drinking and casual dining opportunities will increase dramatically and we are likely (definitely) going to do at least 2 Specialty Dinners with or without a package.  On a port intensive cruise I would stick with Plus.  But when over half the cruise is Sea Days or an "overnight in port" day, I'm pretty sure that I can give Premier a good working over.     

When it was at $40/pp/day, we were sailing with friends and sharing a 4-device Medallion Net plan at $20/day, less 50%, so $2.50/pp/day.  CA was $13.50 then.  Total of $16, leaving $24 for drinks. 

Considering we get Elite mini-bar, so 10 beers and 10 Perrier, plus me bringing wine on board, just didn't spend the $24/pp/day on other beverages.  It was close to me going for it though at times, I must admit.  But never did.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

plus me bringing wine on board

The next time I sail out of FLL I will re-do the math because I can fly with a case of wine from my home and pay the corkage.  Under those circumstances the math might not work.  But my last 3 cruises and the one after that have all been and will be in Europe where I cannot fly with my own wine. So instead I drink theirs.   

Edited by JimmyVWine

11 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The next time I sail out of FLL I will re-do the math because I can fly with a case of wine from my home and pay the corkage.  Under those circumstances the math might not work.  But my last 3 cruises and the one after that have all been and will be in Europe where I cannot fly with my own wine. So instead I drink theirs.   

I had no problem buying wine in Civi if that is your port of departure.  Also, got some good prices at a duty free stand at FCO.  I presume other places like BCN can work as well.  I probably wouldn't be finding what I would want in Athens, however.

I figure if I don't pre-buy the package and would fail on acquiring wine, I can always go a la carte on board or buy package if it made sense in such a situation.  

BTW, I do figure in if I have to pay corkage on all bottles (less 2 allowance), but I am finding I just don't have to pay corkage hardly at all anymore.

When you have a package do the drinks get listed on your account with the price and then show zero'd out? Just want to keep track to make sure I'm at least breaking even. (not a big drinker, but with coffees, bottled waters, and a few cocktails I should make it)

I think I stepped in the right thread, with bunch of drinkers. We have the premier, but we dont drink much. Trying to learn from you guys how to maximize our package and apparently our alcohol tolerance along the way, LOL. There is no way we will hit 30 drink/day, maybe 5/person. Reading how you guys worrying about going over the limit scares me a bit 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2