Luxury beach experience

beej210

Hi all!

Will be visiting Costa Maya January 3rd.  Want to do a beach day, but have as much of a luxury experience as possible.  Never been a fan of all-inclusive resorts - never feel like the food is fantastic, and drinks usually aren't great either - but that's just my experience around Cancun area.  

So do we do a beach club?  Or is there a way to ala carte it and get better food/drinks/loungers?

I'd rather 2-3 amazing drinks with real top shelf, than bottomless margaritas.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Maybe check out Maya Chan.  They should be open in high season. South of the main malecon and limited number of guests.

https://costamayabeachresort.com/ 

While there are AIs and beach clubs along the malecon, I wouldn't consider any to be luxury.

Nacional might be an option along the malecon but the beach is in the middle with everyone else and lounger aren't anything special.  Geared for staying guests.

https://nacionalbeachclub.com/en/

Edited by crewsweeper

I would suggest you check this forum for some of the regularly suggested locations and then follow up on TA and the individual websites for reviews and photos to see which appeal. 

I think it would depend on what would make it special for you personally when it comes to luxury. I can’t think of ANY location in Mahahual that I would consider a “luxury experience”, including Maya Chan. Maya Chan has the advantage of being isolated which makes it more private. Service is excellent, but facilities are rustic. Food is excellent local food but limited options for some people. So it depends on your attitude and expectations. Due to its isolation sargassum seems to have been more of a problem this year since it doesn’t have the barrier protection of the town beaches. Likewise Hayhu (which I haven’t tried yet) seems to have a more up-market vibe but again has had sargassum problems in season.

On the malecon itself, we have enjoyed Malecon21 for food and drinks and quieter location but service wasn’t as good last time we were there compared to pre-Covid. Hopefully it has improved. Again it is a beach BAR attached to a small hotel but again it depends on your idea of luxury. 

You are not going to get beach clubs and resort hotels in Mahahual like Cancun.

Edited by c-leg5