Seabourn’s response to booked guests on Israel/Haifa and surrounding areas

Vineyard View

I’ve been to Turkey many times as well.

I agree with MarkandJie oh that (depending, as everywhere, on security lines when you return to the airport) that long a layover should allow you to see those sites you’ve mentioned, and maybe even poke your head into the Egyptian or grand bazaar

1 hour ago, babydrum said:

Thank you, the Basilica Cistern, Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque are my points of interest.  I hope you are right for so many reasons.

We thoroughly enjoyed a couple Days in Istanbul a number of years ago. I hope that you are able to as well. We sailed SB this year for the first time. We loved the product, ship, people, food, etc. 

I am curious if this two year cancellation has  been announced yet?  It’s very sad, but I am not really surprised. 

I do wonder even more how the stability will be in the Eastern Mediterranean as this continues. Will itineraries that are the areas being diverted to,  need further refinement as a result. 

2 hours ago, babydrum said:

Thank you, the Basilica Cistern, Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque are my points of interest.  I hope you are right for so many reasons.

The Topkapi Palace is also wonderful to see.  Hagia Sophia is my very favorite place in the city.  The Blue Mosque is also so special. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Hagia Sophia is my very favorite place in the city.

Agree completely, though it's a shame you can no longer go upstairs and see the frescos. Once they converted it back to a working mosque they closed that area. But being in a working mosque does create a special ambiance.

Seems like Blue Mosque has been under renovation for years and years. Perhaps it's done now.

Only did Topkapi once but agree it was worthwhile. What a harem!

I love Grand Bazaar for the historical significance of the building, but the actual shops are much more tourist traps now than they were on our first visit back in 2009. (At least that's my recollection.)

https://simpleflying.com/delta-air-lines-major-cuts-tel-aviv-september-2024/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox-SF&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0dTczPHpZLG1kQM6EGhQDFJ1m-Bx7BUcbWf0igJubik8At3nsTq6Q3lNw#Echobox=1698721590

I suspect with moves like this SB will have to adjust sooner..we are booked 5/12 out of Haifa. So sad for the people involved in this conflict!

Edited by goodvino808
  • Like 1

We just cancelled April Dubai to Athens. My TA told me about a client on another luxury line RT Athens on October 18 that changed itinerary on October 15. And probably more itinerary changes mid-voyage. Back to the cruise drawing board for a spring replacement!

2 hours ago, Mahogany said:

We just cancelled April Dubai to Athens. My TA told me about a client on another luxury line RT Athens on October 18 that changed itinerary on October 15. And probably more itinerary changes mid-voyage. Back to the cruise drawing board for a spring replacement!

Just now, Astride said:

I wouldn't go near the Eastern Mediterranean in the near future because I believe that the conflict will quickly escalate & involve most countries in the region. Forgive me for being so pessimistic but I only see one way out of this dilemma & I don't see it happening. I would choose another region to cruise in for my peace of mind.

2 hours ago, Astride said:

I wouldn't go near the Eastern Mediterranean in the near future because I believe that the conflict will quickly escalate & involve most countries in the region.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit.

On the one hand, I know people who cancelled trips to Greece last year because of Russia/Ukraine. We went ahead with it and had an amazing time. So will this stay contained similarly?

On the other, it seems we may be reaching the end of 'pax americana', which could have huge repercussions in many parts of the world in terms of openness and access. (Not to mention climate change impacts.) 

The next 30 years of cruising will likely look very different than the last 30.

Finally, I feel guilty even worrying about whether I'll be able to take amazing trips when each of these conflicts are and will continue to ruin the lives of thousands if not millions. 

• Like 1

I also find it difficult not to feel guilty in the decisions of making these trips with the status of this news coming out of this conflict/war. But I do worry about the stability in some of the areas in the Eastern Mediterranean this coming year. In looking at Spring options the majority of sailings are either the Canary Islands, or the Eastern Mediterranean with a vast majority scheduled to visit areas in the new conflict/war. Undoubtedly these itineraries will be dramatically altered, so making a change is challenging.