Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

4 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

I like your attitude, too.  I don't look like Deborah Kerr, and I certainly don't anticipate meeting Cary Grant onboard, but I expect to enjoy fine dining in lovely surroundings and indulge my little fantasies - and exchange smiles with fellow passengers.

On another line, we met a couple on Evening Chic night who looked like they'd just stepped out of the late 1940's. Fabulous hair, makeup, and clothes. We were a bit surprised to see them similarly attired on other nights, then back up to top notch on the next Evening Chic night. They were definitely well above the minumum every night, and having a lovely time. They seemed more than happy to enjoy conversation with folks like us, complying with the stated dress code, but certainly not attired as nicely as they were. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, les37b said:

It’s football not soccer. 🙂

I’ve a few of them… but won’t be wearing to dinner… even the ones with collars! 

By the sound of things, that big guy in the bright green Hawaiian shirt for his formal outfit back in 2016 might now be considered overdressed!

Hawaiian shirt meets the requirements. I used Hawaiian shirts on my last cruise for the collared shirt requirement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Hawaiian shirt meets the requirements. I used Hawaiian shirts on my last cruise for the collared shirt requirement.

Not then it didn’t. Jacket and tie or you didn’t get in. Unless you were a friend of the owner, as in this case. Given 50% were in Tuxedos and the rest in suits and with tie. If he was playing “where’s wally”, he made it rather easy.

40 minutes ago, les37b said:

Not then it didn’t. Jacket and tie or you didn’t get in. Unless you were a friend of the owner, as in this case. Given 50% were in Tuxedos and the rest in suits and with tie. If he was playing “where’s wally”, he made it rather easy.

Did I say it was Silversea 🙂? My last cruise that had a restaurant with collared shirts required.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Did I say it was Silversea 🙂? My last cruise that had a restaurant with collared shirts required.

My mistake. I thought this thread was about the Silversea dress code. Not sure the relevance if you were comparing a random cruise without a reference to it. Particularly since you said it met the requirements on a cruise taken on Silversea on a formal night in 2016, where a Hawaiian shirt was an oddity and only allowed because the wearer was a friend of the owner.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If the wording is "collared shirt," a polo fully complies.  There are other ways to specify a dress shirt (e.g. 'button-front shirt,' or incorrectly 'button-down shirt' which only refers to the Brooks Brothers collar style but is generally applied more broadly)

Well said!

6 hours ago, les37b said:

My mistake. I thought this thread was about the Silversea dress code. Not sure the relevance if you were comparing a random cruise without a reference to it. Particularly since you said it met the requirements on a cruise taken on Silversea on a formal night in 2016, where a Hawaiian shirt was an oddity and only allowed because the wearer was a friend of the owner.

Oooo, someone is feeling testy.

I never said it met silver sea formal dress code, I simply said it qualifies as a collared shirt when a location requires collared shirts.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Oooo, someone is feeling testy.

I never said it met silver sea formal dress code, I simply said it qualifies as a collared shirt when a location requires collared shirts.

You appear to be making it up as you go, since that most certainly wasn’t what you said. 

It’s Silversea BTW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, les37b said:

You appear to be making it up as you go, since that most certainly wasn’t what you said. 

It’s Silversea BTW.

Believe what you will. I was just referring to collared shirts in general. 

As to the name: You are right. Phone autocorrected it :).

To be honest: This thread is just repeating the same old constantly now. As a quick summary, in my mind:

- Silversea dress code changed on Nova to be less antiquated and align with the modern industry. This has been confirmed to be on the next ship as well.

- It’s still the old dress code on older ships

- Will likely change fleet wide soon

- Some folks love it (like me), understanding that formality is in the eye of the beholder. What matters is conduct, not dress.

- Some folks are super cranky about it, and don’t seem to understand that the way others dress won’t impact them. They are free to continue to dress up.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tudorcruisers said:

You would most likely find yourself in the minority if our cruise in September on Silver Nova was anything to go by.  Most men were in collared shirts and looking very smart indeed.  I would count a polo shirt more as sports attire. 

By definition a polo is a collared shirt.
according to ChatGPT: “The collar is one of the distinguishing features that separates a polo shirt from other types of shirts.”

It may have started as a “sports” shirt, but it really isn’t.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

By definition a polo is a collared shirt.
according to ChatGPT: “The collar is one of the distinguishing features that separates a polo shirt from other types of shirts.”

It may have started as a “sports” shirt, but it really isn’t.

When we start using ChatGPT as a sartorial guide it seems the end of elegance is nigh. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

What makes suits, tuxes, and dresses “elegance”?

Elegant is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, to me, I view them as old fashioned and stuffy.

Just the definition of the word elegant actually:

graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.

Can't see that in a polo shirt TBH 

(SNAP!)

Edited by MrsWaldo
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

That is an opinion; not a fact.

Who says that a polo or Hawaiian shirt can’t be Stylish?

Of style... yes..... the shirt of choice of the Great Aussie Bogan on the mass market party ships.  Generally worn with matching thongs (AKA flip flops)

Missing the key....  graceful and....  Yet to see a graceful Hawaiian shirt.

Polo shirts here are part of uniforms for either school or workplace casual. Usually so branding can be seen 

I have no issue with these types of items on a smart casual provided they are stylish, a la Ted Baker, etc and worn with appropriate pants. (slacks)  They work for the Outdoor Pool deck spaces in the evening.

TBH ..

IMHO It is all about respect...  the wait staff are dressed in a formal manner, then the diner should at least make some effort.  To walk into a nice dining area looking as though you have just come from the pool or beach is ......

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

That is an opinion; not a fact.

Who says that a polo or Hawaiian shirt can’t be Stylish?

Are you suggesting that a polo shirt will cut it on formal night?  A polo shirt would never be considered formal wear but can be dressed up if it’s a fine quality (Zegna, Bruno Cuccinelli, Façonnable, etc…) paired with a jacket.  The run-of-the-mill cheap Ralph Lauren would not.  But stylish does not mean formal.

And only in Hawaii or a small South Pacific island would an Hawaiian shirt by considered dressy.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Are you suggesting that a polo shirt will cut it on formal night?  A polo shirt would never be considered formal wear but can be dressed up if it’s a fine quality (Zegna, Bruno Cuccinelli, Façonnable, etc…) paired with a jacket.  The run-of-the-mill cheap Ralph Lauren would not.  But stylish does not mean formal.

And only in Hawaii or a small South Pacific island would an Hawaiian shirt by considered dressy.

As long as the definition is a “Collared shirt” with “jacket”: a polo plus blazer or jacket would 100% meet the terms of a policy.

If it is “button down shirt”, no, it would not match. However, shirts such as what UNTUCKit sell would.

6 minutes ago, MrsWaldo said:

Of style... yes..... the shirt of choice of the Great Aussie Bogan on the mass market party ships.  Generally worn with matching thongs (AKA flip flops)

Missing the key....  graceful and....  Yet to see a graceful Hawaiian shirt.

Polo shirts here are part of uniforms for either school or workplace casual. Usually so branding can be seen 

I have no issue with these types of items on a smart casual provided they are stylish, a la Ted Baker, etc and worn with appropriate pants. (slacks)  They work for the Outdoor Pool deck spaces in the evening.

TBH ..

IMHO It is all about respect...  the wait staff are dressed in a formal manner, then the diner should at least make some effort.  To walk into a nice dining area looking as though you have just come from the pool or beach is ......

How does the uniform the staff is wearing impact what the guests wear? Treating the staff with respect means being polite to them, not holding them accountable for things out of their control, and treating them as you would like to be treated.

The formal wear they have on is just a uniform.

I have two graceful “Hawaiian” style shirts I’ve worn to “formal” dinners on cruise ships.

Honestly, they often look better than some quite terrible suits I’ve seen.

O crap! I just realized: for several in this thread, a sports coat is not a jacket, since it has sports in the name.

(This is the official policy:

Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal.

On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate.
On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional).
On formal nights, appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress, gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrezza and choose to dress informally; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual all nights.
)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

As long as the definition is a “Collared shirt” with “jacket”: a polo plus blazer or jacket would 100% meet the terms of a policy.

If it is “button down shirt”, no, it would not match. However, shirts such as what UNTUCKit sell would.

How does the uniform the staff is wearing impact what the guests wear? Treating the staff with respect means being polite to them, not holding them accountable for things out of their control, and treating them as you would like to be treated.

The formal wear they have on is just a uniform.

Of course all those other things are just being a good human being, respect goes beyond what you say.  
Maybe my take is different because I’m basing on discussions I’ve actually had with people who work in hospitality. 

The uniform they have to wear is based on the expected style of clothing guests would wear in the venue, along with the tasks being performed, otherwise wouldn’t everyone just wear the same thing in dining venues throughout the ship? 
eg. What they wear at the Grill is very different to what is worn in the main dining area, as is what is worn at breakfast versus what is worn at dinner in La Terraza.

• Like 1