Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

4 hours ago, canderson said:

FULL Windsor, too, not one of those lopsided subvariants!

I just called Silversea, for another matter, and while I was on the phone asked about Alaska they confirmed that there is no formal night. 

2 hours ago, Dirk_Pitt said:

what ship is that?  I am on the Spirit in August to Iceland

Even though part of Iceland is technically in North America [on the North American tectonic plate, anyway], they consider themselves Europeans.  So the relaxed Alaska dress code probably doesn't apply there.

54 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Even though part of Iceland is technically in North America [on the North American tectonic plate, anyway], they consider themselves Europeans.  So the relaxed Alaska dress code probably doesn't apply there.

Aren’t the 7-day Med cruises without formal nights?   Not sure how being European translates to formal attire.

15 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Aren’t the 7-day Med cruises without formal nights?   Not sure how being European translates to formal attire.

It was a joke.  Sorry.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

To say nothing about the fact that they are on completely different oceans, with North America in between the two.

Why this grand desire for folks to want to extrapolate beyond the stated policies?

15 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

To say nothing about the fact that they are on completely different oceans, with North America in between the two.

Why this grand desire for folks to want to extrapolate beyond the stated policies?

Jokes don't make it to 35,000 feet, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Jokes don't make it to 35,000 feet, eh?

Perhaps not so much a joke as you might think.

Pre-COVID, the difference in dress between Euro and US passengers on European cruises was definitely discernible.  Haven't been there enough since COVID to know if that's still the case.

• Like 2

I know this isn't really related to anything foregoing but stays within the dress theme. 

I was stationed overseas where, for security reasons, uniform was not worn in public. Off base we would be a motley crew blending well with the local population. 

However, we also saw a number of US servicemen transit through who were similarly advised not to wear uniform in public. Yet, almost without exception, they would trundle off locally dressed in chinos and polo shirts. This was in the 90s.  To be honest, they may as well have worn No 1 dress uniform and whistled Yankee Doodle Dandy.  I have to say, though, they were very smartly turned out. 

I've just read that back. Forgive me, I'm not being anti-American (not even a tiny bit) just making an observation. 

Edited by Tothesunset
Many typos!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Perhaps not so much a joke as you might think.

Pre-COVID, the difference in dress between Euro and US passengers on European cruises was definitely discernible.  Haven't been there enough since COVID to know if that's still the case.

When I was in Iceland, standing in the trench that separates the North American and European plates and reaching out to touch both sides – dressed in appropriate hiking clothes for the climate – I definitely felt underdressed on my European side! 🤣

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When I was in Iceland, standing in the trench that separates the North American and European plates and reaching out to touch both sides – dressed in appropriate hiking clothes for the climate – I definitely felt underdressed on my European side! 🤣

Those European Bassalt columns can be a bit judgy. 

• Haha 2