can we fix year of birthday at cruise port when checking in

jameslee

I have an upcoming cruise and my travel agent went to vacation. And I notice I cannot change date of birth online. Can I call holland america normal customer service to fix the year or change the date of birth when checking in at port?

My Mariner birthday has been wrong for decades. (I'm not making this up.)

As an international super spy, I like it that way.

My real birthday is 04/10. My HAL birthday is 04/01. I always wonder if this is like the movie, "The Sixth Sense," and do I see dead people?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 10/26/2023 at 7:31 PM, POA1 said:

My Mariner birthday has been wrong for decades. (I'm not making this up.)

As an international super spy, I like it that way.

My real birthday is 04/10. My HAL birthday is 04/01. I always wonder if this is like the movie, "The Sixth Sense," and do I see dead people?

so the birthday in system is wrong but they never question it or correct it from passport

10 hours ago, jameslee said:

so the birthday in system is wrong but they never question it or correct it from passport

In all fairness, I just noticed it myself. I'm kind of on the fence about correcting it. I suppose I will.

Update: Just looked at how to correct it. I have to call the Mariner Society. They're in charge of when I was born.

Edited by POA1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BruhnSisters said:

(Hmmmmm . . . now wondering if POA1 is a real cruiser or just a clever AI program . . . )

I did try to use Bard, Google's AI to write some port intros for our upcoming trip. I seeded it with "humorous introduction to San Juan two paragraphs" and the results were subpar, even across multiple runs and phrasings of the seed text.

I figure my "job" here is safe for the time being. Of course, if AI does start to mimic my writing, we've got much bigger problems.

• Haha 3

On 10/26/2023 at 2:08 PM, jameslee said:

I have an upcoming cruise and my travel agent went to vacation. And I notice I cannot change date of birth online. Can I call holland america normal customer service to fix the year or change the date of birth when checking in at port?

Had the same problem profile a few years ago. Contacted mariner services (1-855-932-1711) and they fixed it over the phone. Just a word of caution if you have more than one cruise on the books make sure they check each booking. Our profile reverted back to the incorrect date, and we had to call a second time.

Also, as POA the date on your mariner profile is not critical as we would not have found out about ours being wrong except, we got a birthday note on a cruise that was no ware near my birthday.

I called the Mariner Society and had my birthday changed. I am now 9 HAL days older. That's like setting my clock ahead 216 times. Even though we gain an hour this weekend, I'm still going to be super tired.

• Haha 4

On 10/26/2023 at 9:19 PM, Cruise Suzy said:

From the My Profile tab of My Account on the Website:

Profile Information

If your Mariner ID or date of birth is not correct, please contact us at 1-855-932-1711 or email us at mariner_society@hollandamerica.com.

Thank you for this!  We did not realize until after sailing last May, and my husband not getting the Mariner perks and recognitions, that his Mariner number is incorrect.  According to them, that cruise was his first.  He was very indignant!  🤣

• Haha 2