Expedition Ships - Wet Landings

ropomo

We have booked a Reykjavik, Iceland to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland which turns out to be a back-to-back Reykjavik to Reykjavik and Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq. In checking on boot rental, the SS concessionaire considers this to be two cruises despite booking it as one cruise and wants $90 per segment for boot rental. Looking at the Iceland circumnavigation, it "appears" that there will be no "wet landings". Is there a way to determine if a port is wet or dry on an expedition cruise? At $360 for two legs and two people, it will be less expensive to purchase boots and take them in an old throw away suitcase and donate the boots to the SS orphaned boots and abandon the suitcase. Flying into Reykjavik, we will not have the luggage restrictions imposed on the charter flights. Would like to determine if Iceland is "dry"

We did a circumnavigation of Iceland in 2019 and at least one of the landings was wet. It would not have been possible without boots, and it was a great hike to Dynjandi Waterfall so I would not have wanted to miss it. I think one of our other landings was supposed to be wet but it got canceled due to the weather.

Yes, purchasing your own is way cheaper, if you have the space to bring them. You can get a perfectly suitable pair for about $20 on overstock or amazon, and donate them to the ship if you want, or bring them home and use them next time. I've never rented their boots. But we travel light and have room to bring ours along.

A couple more ways:

1)     If it’s the Wind or Cloud, there are lots of spare boots under the seats in the changing room. Just lift the boxes lids and try some on.

2)     You can source some small, thick plastic bags and put them on if they won’t let you get off the bow on the zodiac boat. I found some thick plastic bags that just fit my hiking boots and gave a couple of dozen to the crew when I left.

Just completed a few weeks ago, 10 wet landings and was able to get all the way to the front bow and land on dry land on seven landings. Only used bags twice.