Volendam no Dutch cafe

happytotravel

24 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Since the Volendam does not have the Dutch cafe as the other ships do which dining venue has the most Dutch specialty items?

Only the three Pinnacle class ships have a Gand Dutch Cafe, the other eight don't. None of the other dining venues have Dutch specialty items on a regular basis. There will be Dutch snacks during the Orange Party held one night.

• Like 1

Try "Distant Lands" in the Lido and get treats from around the world the world. My guess is you will not miss the Dutch Cafe on the Volendam - it is a lovely, easily accessible ship so plenty of food choices will be close by.

And other HAL ships have pretty close to what the Dutch Cafe offers as well.  Except the giant cream puff- but they do have smaller eclairs. 

• Like 1

The most Dutch food I remember from my first visit to Amsterdam in the 1960s was ..rollmops (pickled herring) and pommes frites -  sold from stands all over  the city.  But with mayonnaise, not ketchup. Zut alors!  

So go to the Dive-Inn for their yummy french fries and get some mayonnaise for dipping - instant Dutch Food. I know they also offer pickled herring at the Lido and as a MDR breakfast options

We did have the very good  HAL Dutch pea soup on the day we visited Glacier Bay on a Noordam Alaska cruise. So if  this Dutch Cafe favorite is not available every day on the Volendam, it just might be depending on the itinerary. 

• Like 1

Thanks again,  My husband was Dutch so that's one reason I was hoping to eat Dutch food.  Nostalgic reasons.   I remember we had raw herring with onions near the dockside when we were in Amsterdam in the 80's.  Pea soup sounds great too!  I'm starting to get hungry.

happytotravel

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:43 PM, Cruise Suzy said:

…There will be Dutch snacks during the Orange Party held one night.

Where will these snacks be served? The one cruise I was on with an Orange Party didn’t offer snacks, but I would have loved to have tried some.

@happytotravel back in the day, HAL offered a Royal Dutch Tea once per cruise that was excellent. They also used to be famous for their late night Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza once per cruise by the pool on a formal night. It was quite the event!

I know the Asian crew has local dishes available to them in their dining area. Does anyone know if the Dutch crew also has local fare cooked for them onboard?

Edited by syesmar

11 hours ago, syesmar said:

@happytotravel back in the day, HAL offered a Royal Dutch Tea once per cruise that was excellent. They also used to be famous for their late night Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza once per cruise by the pool on a formal night. It was quite the event!

I know the Asian crew has local dishes available to them in their dining area. Does anyone know if the Dutch crew also has local fare cooked for them onboard?

According to their website they still have Tea each day and once High Tea on a sea day.  Looking forward to it as the last time I had Tea was on the SS Norway many moons ago.

I didn't see anything about the Chocolate EX as many cruise lines have done away with that type of excess.

Enjoy the day, happytotravel

On 10/30/2023 at 10:38 AM, happytotravel said:

According to their website they still have Tea each day and once High Tea on a sea day….

I didn't see anything about the Chocolate EX as many cruise lines have done away with that type of excess.…

Yes, there is still daily Afternoon Tea and a “Classic High Tea” once per cruise. I was reminiscing about the elaborate Royal Dutch Tea that was beloved by many passengers that is no longer offered, as well as the Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza. They do now have a “Chocolate Surprise” one evening with bite-sized chocolate treats that stewards will bring out to the Music Walk and other venues.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by syesmar

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

Yes, there is still daily Afternoon Tea and a “Classic High Tea” once per cruise. I was reminiscing about the elaborate Royal Dutch Tea that was beloved by many passengers that is no longer offered, as well as the Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza. They do now have a “Chocolate Surprise” one evening with bite-sized chocolate treats that stewards will bring out to the Music Walk and other venues.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,  Yes, lots of things from the past have been scaled down by the cruise lines but we have nothing to complain about.  There was lots of waste by the passengers especially during Chocolate buffets.   There are still so many things to enjoy!

What is the Music Walk?  Thanks, happytotravel

33 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

What is the Music Walk?  Thanks, happytotravel

There is no "Music Walk" on the lovely old R-class ships, one of which is Volendam on which you are sailing.  It is only on the Pinnacle-class ships.  It is a series of musical venues (Rolling Stone Rock Room, BB Kings blues,  Billboard Onboard).  I avoid it because it is LOUD.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AV8rix said:

There is no "Music Walk" on the lovely old R-class ships, one of which is Volendam on which you are sailing.  It is only on the Pinnacle-class ships.  It is a series of musical venues (Rolling Stone Rock Room, BB Kings blues,  Billboard Onboard).  I avoid it because it is LOUD.

Ditto.  It is VERY loud and hard to enjoy.  I “walk on by”.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Thanks to you both.  It sounds like I won't miss it at all.

happytotravel

• Like 2

On 10/28/2023 at 9:12 PM, happytotravel said:

Hi,

Since the Volendam does not have the Dutch cafe as the other ships do which dining venue has the most Dutch specialty items?

Thanks, happytotravel

Check the MDR at lunch. When I was on the Eurodam last March the MDR had those big pancakes with bacon that are made in the Dutch Cafe.  If I recall, there were a couple other items on the menu also.

• Like 1

I have a cruise booked on the Volendam and while I will miss Sel de Mer (hoping the pop ups come back or at least a Cellar Master dinner), I am looking forward to being back on that beautiful ship.  Sometimes bells and whistles are not all they are cracked up to be.

I’ll take the bigger cabin, the better crew to passenger ratio and I am hoping for a good cruise 😉 🤞 

• Like 2