Last minute cruise pricing and deals on NCL and Princess - HELP

Hi all,

I'm a bit rusty when it comes to booking cruises from international ports and am not sure if pricing will drop last minute, or whether I'm already last minute. I'm looking for a cruise that departs from any US port (except NY due to cold) between Dec 17th and Jan 5th this coming Xmas, so a departure could be as soon as 7 weeks away. Looking for a longer cruise, prefer 14 nights but will consider anything over 9 or 10. Looks like plenty are available but would like Panama Canal if possible.

Some Princess prices look pretty good with o/s agents but I can't get any drop and go pricing on the Princess Aus site. It just says unavailable. NCL prices are still pretty high, and include the current promo of 35% discount (!?!) and drinks and wifi etc. That promo ends in 3 days. Does that promo actually end? Is it actually a promo? Or will prices drop down when it ends and I'll be better off without it? I don't have a history of watching NCL pricing so I don't know. I hate that I don't have a "feel" for the pricing patterns.

Can anyone offer any advice? Am I actually missing out if I let the current promos expire, or will I actually be better off after it ends? I don't know! If I really wait until last minute, will I get a great deal, or doesn't that happen like it used to in the good old days?

Thank-you.

Edited by mum and son

If there are rooms available the price will probably come down a little more, But airfares will go up the closer to your date.

I haven't cruised NCL but their prices are cheaper without all the "free" stuff.

I find most cruise lines don't really offer much in their sales, 35% off an inflated price, kids sail free (the room still costs the same, normally the per person price would be cheaper)

• Like 1

When travelling that far, I am a "lock it in early" sort of person, then I look to fit as much in as I can around the cruise to make the most of the flights.

Whichever you choose, you are inside final payment, so it will be pay-in-full and be stuck with the price. Normally at this time, anything with significant availability should already be in the bargain bin.

I really have no feel regarding the perfect time to get the best price. Maybe talk with an experienced agent you can trust. Like us, they prefer to cruise a summer holiday, but I have no idea how many do a Kranks type of Christmas. If you find something you like at a price you like, you can just book it and don't look back.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I may be travelling with a friend (the ex Qantas person, meaning staff travel), or I may be travelling solo, which means I may be able to grab a flight using points. Not a lot of options for points flights but they are out there. There are even some flight options for me to do the Antarctic cruise on Princess. I hate having so much up in the air. I'd like to lock in one thing but not there just yet. At least when cruising in Aus I know a good deal when I see one and can jump on it. I feel a little lost this time, especially my first time where I may end up cruising solo 😬.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Have you considered a river cruise?

American Queen have a 8 day, 7 port return cruise on the Mississippi comencing Dec17. AUD4895.

I noticed fare includes port fees and gratuities. On a US cruise, wow!

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I noticed fare includes port fees and gratuities. On a US cruise, wow!

Thank you. No, I hadn't previously considered a river cruise. Have never really thought about their existence outside of Europe to be honest. Interesting...

Just now, mum and son said:

Thank you. No, I hadn't previously considered a river cruise. Have never really thought about their existence outside of Europe to be honest. Interesting...

It's one I have done and can recommend it. And, it should not be too cold a winter in the south.

• Like 1