Crossing the Globe (Kind of) - A Pr1ma (Hopefully) Live'ish Adventure, 11/20 - 12/1

cruiseny4life

21 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Emma went with us because 1) she's my husband's favorite and 2) she needs to be socialized. She's the most nervous pup of our four around other people and dogs. Possibly not anymore. She found lots of new dogs to make friends with in the off leash area in Boston Common and loads of people gave her a pat on the train we hiked on in Vermont. So, yay for socializing her!

Mid-social break...dont we all need them?

IMG_20231105_122320.thumb.jpg.9e10217e526c6da308948a334324b339.jpg

Yay……can’t kennel my pup, either.  She stays with friends or family…..never a kennel.

• Like 5

Yesterday was 14 days before the cruise. My husband and I finally had time together on the couch to do check-in. It was a super easy process on our phones and we had the added bonus of being surrounded by cuddly dogs. Might, maybe, possibly, could have turned the volume all the way down on the safety video so we could continue watching American Horror Story. The one onboard will be longer and we'll have to watch it on the stateroom TV anyway. 

image.png.7bcad069c7670cc36b159e82f76b5846.png

Pretty sure both our photos will be retaken upon check-in at the pier! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 11/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, Seas2mountains said:

Just found your review. Not sure how I missed seeing it last week. 

Thank you for doing a live review! I have enjoyed all your past reviews. I hope the days fly by for you until cruise day. Will you have any extra days pre-cruise in Barcelona? 

Love the photos and description of the Grand Canyon adventures.  Cute dogs! 

You are welcome and thank you for your kind words! The Grand Canyon was an amazing experience. I'm already thinking about a 2025 or 26 return to raft the canyon. It'll be like a cruise, except human-powered! We'd definitely take an oar boat and one that offers a bunch of side hikes up into the canyon. Not sure I really want to do the rim to rim again (but never say never). 

We have two'ish days ahead of the cruise in Barcelona. We're flying out on Friday, land on Saturday the 18th around 9 AM Barcelona time. We'll wander the city, get some lunch, and snag our hotel room. I'm thinking about going to Sercotel Rossello for an evening of food and drink. And that's probably all we will see of Sagrada Familia. Personally, I think the structure looks abhorrent and is a travesty to nature since it is claimed to be designed based on natural features. But, when in Barcelona....

On the 19th, we'll wander some more. Nothing Gaudi. Just as with the way too popular unfinished church, neither of us care about Gaudi. I know. We're bad people! We may go to the City Museum to see the Roman ruins, definitely going to the Gothic Quarter, and I really want to experience the grids near Mercat de la Barceloneta. Really narrow streets and it just looks cool from Google Maps. Close to the beach and regardless of weather, I'll be swimming in the Med! How could one not do so? 

We thought about going to Montserrat, but it's at least an hour each way and that's too much travel time. If we were to travel, I'd choose Tarragona, but again, it's quite a ways so probably just chill in the city. @laudergayle would be highly disappointed if we don't go to Mercado de La Boqueria so I think we'll get there too. Have to try all the tapas in our short visit!

As for the 20th, which is embarkation day, I kind of want to explore a bit, however I think my husband will want to get on the ship so we can be firmly ensconced in luxury. We'll see who wins! I might be so tired from travel and touring that I just say whatever, let's get on the boat! 

As for the days flying....well, we struck out on a new type of emergency contract and let's just say hiring 300 people in the span of two weeks keeps HR humming! I can't say my job is boring. For y'all that saw I mentioned I applied for and interviewed for a job in the Tetons...well, they offered me a job, but without housing since I have dogs. Have you looked at housing in Jackson? The most affordable (HAHAHAHAHAHA) house was $2,000,000 when we looked, ergo I'm still at the same place and won't be moving back to the Rockies. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/5/2023 at 4:21 PM, kasimir said:

Awesome post! We are on the same cruise as you, also in the Haven and invited our parents to join us for this cruise. 

We are very excited and counting the days! When are you flying to Barcelona? We will be on the plane 16 November, arriving the next morning in Barcelona. 

Hoping to meet you at the Haven Bar at some point during the cruise. 😁

We shall enjoy a drink or two! I didn't realize your parents will be onboard as well....so, Haven for the parents? Or are they down in the bowels of the ship? Haha

We're going to be landing on the 18th. Same schedule as you - taking off the day before, then connecting through Paris. 

13 days and counting!!! We got ourselves a baker's dozen of days left.

On 11/6/2023 at 9:34 AM, graphicguy said:

Yay……can’t kennel my pup, either.  She stays with friends or family…..never a kennel.

We have kenneled, but four plus a cat is way more expensive than having this lovely college student we found come and watch them. For our cruise, I've convinced my mom to come over. It's two weeks over Thanksgiving. The college student will be home, so unavailable. Plus, our house is much better for hosting events, so everyone will come have Thanksgiving at our house. Just not us. I'm glad Thanksgiving exists so I get two days off. Otherwise, I don't need it.

Next year, we'll be home for Thanksgiving - it'll be a standing rib roast, mac and cheese, and other yummy food. Not the traditional blechy bird, mashed taters, and stuffing. How the heck did I get on this topic? My fingers just go and go! 

But yes, we stick to having someone watch the pups in our home now. It's just better for everyone (and our wallet) that way! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I didn't realize your parents will be onboard as well....so, Haven for the parents? Or are they down in the bowels of the ship?

We also got them a cabin in the Haven, couldn't leave them in the bowels of the ship 😉 

15 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We shall enjoy a drink or two!

I like the way you think 😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We have kenneled, but four plus a cat is way more expensive than having this lovely college student we found come and watch them. For our cruise, I've convinced my mom to come over. It's two weeks over Thanksgiving. The college student will be home, so unavailable. Plus, our house is much better for hosting events, so everyone will come have Thanksgiving at our house. Just not us. I'm glad Thanksgiving exists so I get two days off. Otherwise, I don't need it.

Next year, we'll be home for Thanksgiving - it'll be a standing rib roast, mac and cheese, and other yummy food. Not the traditional blechy bird, mashed taters, and stuffing. How the heck did I get on this topic? My fingers just go and go! 

But yes, we stick to having someone watch the pups in our home now. It's just better for everyone (and our wallet) that way! 

While I was in Europe for a month, she stayed with a friend.  I paid my friend what I would have paid a kennel..$20/day, or $600 in total.

I obviously spoil her….

IMG_2112.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

While I was in Europe for a month, she stayed with a friend.  I paid my friend what I would have paid a kennel..$20/day, or $600 in total.

I obviously spoil her….

IMG_2112.jpeg

I'm so glad you posted your pup, again! She is such a darling little cutie and I love seeing different photos of her. So, thank you!

Yup, we definitely all spoil our kids. And yes, y'all, my pups and cat are my kids. I'm part of a DINK family, so we have to have something to dote over. Our college student is $40/day, whereas the kennel we take the dogs to (or, have in the past) is $140 a day for everyone. That adds up quick! 

Ahh...our pets! 

image.thumb.jpeg.cdef45af3e0051b95e4e5db2f006f2e0.jpeg

• Like 9

There are a bunch of Cruise Criticer's on this sailing. I'm sure a few will start up their own lives and have vastly different experiences than me. Please remember, I say what I think, then realize I was overly critical and downgrade my criticism later (sometimes). So, for those on this voyage, don't take absolutely everything I say as if I'm having a terrible time. As a matter of fact, I can almost guarantee I'm going to have the best two weeks I could possibly have!

Having said that, if you don't want to go "live" or "semi-live" or whatever, feel free to piggyback off this thread. I'm more than happy to have anyone share their opinions and experiences here! Just know I may disagree with you or my opinion may be flagrant with my words. Don't take it personally. Also....I kid around. Far too much! So, with that, please feel free to join in. We can all learn from each other and maybe see things that we wouldn't see without others chiming in. 

There is no pride of ownership here on this thread! 

I'll leave y'all with this photo of a snail I found at the unfinished church in St. George's, Bermuda. I plan to move snaillike on my Pr1ma vacation! 

image.thumb.jpeg.503c7fc1da44216a17a8ea323d51f736.jpeg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Pretty sure both our photos will be retaken upon check-in at the pier! 

is that because there are cuddly dogs in the photo or because NCL's contract check-in agents are inept? i heard a new excuse when checking in at the manhattan cruise terminal a few weeks ago. i was told a new photo had to be taken because NCL's systems are down and they didn't have the photos at check-in.

say what?

it used ti be "oh, no, it's a requirement that we take a new photo." (the one previously submitted online doesn't count, apparently. it was just for fun.) now, it's "photo? we don't have no stinkin' photo. you gotta take your photo right here, bub."

enjoy your cruise. if you can drag yourselves out of the haven, do try the indulge food hall. best food on the ship, in my opinion, but i haven't been in the haven on the prima.

• Haha 2

Found you Haven Maven!

I am still catching up with CC and getting over a nasty cough after the Getaway TA. Having been stuck indoors with 3000 of my closest friends due to inclement weather, what could possibly happen?

Your gorgeous pics from the Grand Canyon trip reminds me that I need to get back into fighting form so that I can start planning my next hike. I return to my beloved Southwest every few years to reset.

So excited to be following along with you on the Pr1ma while I am sailing on younger sister Viva. I sailed on the Pr1ma twice and hope your experience will be just as enjoyable.

I, too, will have to get my photo taken upon check-in at the pier. For the first time, the online check-in system would not accept my face. Unsure why as it is the same face.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm so glad you posted your pup, again! She is such a darling little cutie and I love seeing different photos of her. So, thank you!

Yup, we definitely all spoil our kids. And yes, y'all, my pups and cat are my kids. I'm part of a DINK family, so we have to have something to dote over. Our college student is $40/day, whereas the kennel we take the dogs to (or, have in the past) is $140 a day for everyone. That adds up quick! 

Ahh...our pets! 

image.thumb.jpeg.cdef45af3e0051b95e4e5db2f006f2e0.jpeg

There are days (weeks?) I talk to my pup more than any human!  LOL!

@Sugar Magnolia…..COVID?  Get well soon!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Thank you.

I tested negative twice so it appears to be just a plain ol' fashioned cold with a side of delirium. Am hunkering down until my flight to Lisbon on Sunday.

Good idea to hunker down.  Feeling sick on long flights is brutal.  

Plenty of fluids (I recommend bourbon) and Twinkies usually do the trick.

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

Good idea to hunker down.  Feeling sick on long flights is brutal.  

Plenty of fluids (I recommend bourbon) and Twinkies usually do the trick.

Ambien and cough suppressant will help me get through the redeye flight.

You sound like a reliable medical expert so I will stock up on bourbon and Twinkies.

• Haha 11

5 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Ambien and cough suppressant will help me get through the redeye flight.

You sound like a reliable medical expert so I will stock up on bourbon and Twinkies.

I am quite knowledgeable about next to nothing.  But, I have a great many opinions about a wealth of useless topics!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I am quite knowledgeable about next to nothing.  But, I have a great many opinions about a wealth of useless topics!

I might be your long lost twin separated at birth. And I am quite competitive about knowing nothing.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, UKstages said:

is that because there are cuddly dogs in the photo or because NCL's contract check-in agents are inept? i heard a new excuse when checking in at the manhattan cruise terminal a few weeks ago. i was told a new photo had to be taken because NCL's systems are down and they didn't have the photos at check-in.

say what?

it used ti be "oh, no, it's a requirement that we take a new photo." (the one previously submitted online doesn't count, apparently. it was just for fun.) now, it's "photo? we don't have no stinkin' photo. you gotta take your photo right here, bub."

enjoy your cruise. if you can drag yourselves out of the haven, do try the indulge food hall. best food on the ship, in my opinion, but i haven't been in the haven on the prima.

Haha I never heard any reason. They just took the photo and, not knowing any better I just said "ok." But, for our photos...well, I was laying down on a couch while I took an extreme closeup of my face with pillows behind my head. It's not a pretty photo at all! And my husband, well he was laying on a pillow, which was on me. I'm thinking they won't like the pillows. But hey, they actually took on the first attempt! 

They do need to just get over themselves and take this part of the check-in out of the process. Just take a photo at check-in. That's all. (Some) people get so stressed about the photo that it seems to ruin all their check-in fun. Check-in should be fun! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Found you Haven Maven!

I am still catching up with CC and getting over a nasty cough after the Getaway TA. Having been stuck indoors with 3000 of my closest friends due to inclement weather, what could possibly happen?

Your gorgeous pics from the Grand Canyon trip reminds me that I need to get back into fighting form so that I can start planning my next hike. I return to my beloved Southwest every few years to reset.

So excited to be following along with you on the Pr1ma while I am sailing on younger sister Viva. I sailed on the Pr1ma twice and hope your experience will be just as enjoyable.

I, too, will have to get my photo taken upon check-in at the pier. For the first time, the online check-in system would not accept my face. Unsure why as it is the same face.

I was wondering where you were! I mean, I knew you were on Getaway. I'm so sorry you're sick! Glad to hear it's not COVID, but even the nicest cold is annoying. Feel better!! 

The red rocks of the southwest also call me back. I don't think I could ever live there, though Kanab does call to me. Racing around that sandstone really brings out the inner child. My husband thought I went insane when I was literally jumping around in Zion! Over near checkerboard mesa. Such a cool location!! 

Have you been to Capitol Reef? It really was a surprise to me! Pink Sand Dunes, outside of Kanab, is a really lovely state park that doesn't get enough attention. 

I think the online check-in knew you were sick and wouldn't allow a sick photo to be taken! Can't wait to hear all about V!va!!! Let me know how the expanded Indulge is. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I was wondering where you were! I mean, I knew you were on Getaway. I'm so sorry you're sick! Glad to hear it's not COVID, but even the nicest cold is annoying. Feel better!! 

The red rocks of the southwest also call me back. I don't think I could ever live there, though Kanab does call to me. Racing around that sandstone really brings out the inner child. My husband thought I went insane when I was literally jumping around in Zion! Over near checkerboard mesa. Such a cool location!! 

Have you been to Capitol Reef? It really was a surprise to me! Pink Sand Dunes, outside of Kanab, is a really lovely state park that doesn't get enough attention. 

I think the online check-in knew you were sick and wouldn't allow a sick photo to be taken! Can't wait to hear all about V!va!!! Let me know how the expanded Indulge is. 

Yes, I have been to Capitol Reef and much of Utah. Next time I need to bring my boogie board to Coral Pink Sand Dunes. I could probably live in Sedona or Santa Fe, if I could afford to,

I will definitely report back about any changes to Indulge.

BTW, did you and your husband apply for Global Entry? I recall you were planning to enroll once the passport issue was squared away, which I thought was amazing timing. We were all sweating for you guys.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 9:32 AM, cruiseny4life said:

You are welcome and thank you for your kind words! The Grand Canyon was an amazing experience. I'm already thinking about a 2025 or 26 return to raft the canyon. It'll be like a cruise, except human-powered! We'd definitely take an oar boat and one that offers a bunch of side hikes up into the canyon. Not sure I really want to do the rim to rim again (but never say never). 

We have two'ish days ahead of the cruise in Barcelona. We're flying out on Friday, land on Saturday the 18th around 9 AM Barcelona time. We'll wander the city, get some lunch, and snag our hotel room. I'm thinking about going to Sercotel Rossello for an evening of food and drink. And that's probably all we will see of Sagrada Familia. Personally, I think the structure looks abhorrent and is a travesty to nature since it is claimed to be designed based on natural features. But, when in Barcelona....

On the 19th, we'll wander some more. Nothing Gaudi. Just as with the way too popular unfinished church, neither of us care about Gaudi. I know. We're bad people! We may go to the City Museum to see the Roman ruins, definitely going to the Gothic Quarter, and I really want to experience the grids near Mercat de la Barceloneta. Really narrow streets and it just looks cool from Google Maps. Close to the beach and regardless of weather, I'll be swimming in the Med! How could one not do so? 

We thought about going to Montserrat, but it's at least an hour each way and that's too much travel time. If we were to travel, I'd choose Tarragona, but again, it's quite a ways so probably just chill in the city. @laudergayle would be highly disappointed if we don't go to Mercado de La Boqueria so I think we'll get there too. Have to try all the tapas in our short visit!

As for the 20th, which is embarkation day, I kind of want to explore a bit, however I think my husband will want to get on the ship so we can be firmly ensconced in luxury. We'll see who wins! I might be so tired from travel and touring that I just say whatever, let's get on the boat! 

As for the days flying....well, we struck out on a new type of emergency contract and let's just say hiring 300 people in the span of two weeks keeps HR humming! I can't say my job is boring. For y'all that saw I mentioned I applied for and interviewed for a job in the Tetons...well, they offered me a job, but without housing since I have dogs. Have you looked at housing in Jackson? The most affordable (HAHAHAHAHAHA) house was $2,000,000 when we looked, ergo I'm still at the same place and won't be moving back to the Rockies. 

Thank you for providing details on your plans in Barcelona. That sounds like a great mix of locations to visit when you are there. I'm super excited to follow along. I did travel to Barcelona in May 2012 but immediately got on a cruise ship as it did not work in our schedule to arrive early as the 12 day Italy/Croatia/Greece cruise was already stretching our vacation days thin. We do need to go back to Spain and I look forward to getting ideas from your review. 🙂  I really wanted to see all the Gaudi places. Have you tried using Chat GPT to help you plan travel? I am finding it more useful than I expected.

My husband was in Jackson, WY last night for a business trip. I often try to tag along with him when I can. We love it there but you are right about how expensive it is.  It does sound like hiring 300 people will make the time fly by fast until you depart.  Again, thank you for taking the time to write a live review. Besides reading about your travel adventures, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Prima as they are very mixed. Some love the Prima and others do not love her at all.   Wishing you the best as you wrap up one more week at work.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 7:18 AM, cruiseny4life said:

... Pretty sure both our photos will be retaken upon check-in at the pier! 

Which pup did you use for your head shot?

Laughing - our APR/MAY Cruise on NCL - the Check-in Person insisted on retaking both our photos..
I asked if there was something wrong w/ our submitted photos - No - required to retake all photos...
I may then have "mumbled" - Then why do we need to submit the photos to start with - which of course made her look @ me funny 😎

We get on the ship & I poked my head around - wanting to see my new photo

Imagine my surprise when it was the one I submitted 😏

Cheers  --  Here for the Party - oops of course the Review!!

Also - we saw the Blue Man Group on the Epic NOV 2014

And - we are 0/1 for the Azores
Hoping to live vicariously through your review

Cheers from Talkeetna - Von

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2023 at 7:32 AM, cruiseny4life said:

We have two'ish days ahead of the cruise in Barcelona...

...We thought about going to Montserrat, but it's at least an hour each way and that's too much travel time...

Love the Grand Canyon - Your trip sounds Fantabulous!!

We have friends upper 60's/early 80's & they generally hike into the Canyon, spend a few nights & hike out again.

She hikes w/ a trash bag both ways & collects trash as they follow the trail.
We've attempted to join them a couple of times - but always end up cancelling for work or other reasons.

The Rafting Trip also sounds fabulous!

Love Barcelona - where are you staying?

We've spent a week or so in Barcelona both before & after our two cruises which sailed from there.

I vote for Montserrat & Cava Country - we took the train to both.

For Cava Country we mostly walked to the different vineyards from the train station and for Montserrat it was a combination of train & then the cog-wheel train up the mountain.

The first Barcelona visit b/4 the first cruise - we did everything we could in Barcelona...

The following 3 stays were spent partially in Barcelona & partially expanding out from the City.

If you have any interest - the Olympic Village was interesting, as were the plethora of Museums (Miro, Picasso to name 2) & there was an Artisan Village Complex we went to...

Of course, we also hit Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell & all the historical sites & most of the neighborhoods/beaches.

We loved the architecture & history @ every turn!

As a lifelong water rat - anytime I'm near water - my feet @ a minimum must make it into the water - regardless of the temp.

Las Ramblas & Mercado La Boqueria are always a hit!

We used a combination of walking & public transportation w/ a rare taxi thrown in.

We enjoyed our wine or cocktails every night w/ Tapas & we also found a small Creperia we loved serving both savory & sweet crepes 🙂 

The fun part was hitting a different location every evening.

On one trip we met an older gentleman while we were walking, we were waiting for a light to cross & started talking - I think it was near the Gothic Quarter...
I commented how much I loved his leather jacket & he invited us back to his little shop...

The conversation flowed during the 10/15 minute walk to his shop.

Well - as it turns out - he was the owner of the "little shop".

He used his key to enter & everyone greeted him when we walked in they had an extra special customer they wanted him to greet.

He excused himself - we noticed his "little shop" was very high end & the extra special customer was dripping in jewelry/classic bling & was much better dressed than we would ever be.

We turned to leave & he asked us to stay - he went to say Hello & then returned to pick up our conversation from our walk over.

We attempted to express to him how wonderful his designs & materials were, but that we could never afford them.

He didn't care - he sent someone upstairs to grab the 3 of us some wine and he insisted we try on some of his clothes/coats - he kept selecting different items for us to try on - he didn't care we weren't planning on purchasing anything - he was having too much fun!

We spent an hour or two there with him, enjoying the conversation & wine...

People were being buzzed in & greeted - there were lots of stares & whispers our way, obviously we were not there target clientele...

He gave us both big hugs as we left.

I still have his business card & a few pictures somewhere.

Sitting here laughing & smiling while I recall this encounter - what a lovely man!

Anyhoo - Barcelona - Grand City we're hoping to get back for another visit one of these days.

Cheers - Von

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/8/2023 at 5:06 PM, Sugar Magnolia said:

Yes, I have been to Capitol Reef and much of Utah. Next time I need to bring my boogie board to Coral Pink Sand Dunes. I could probably live in Sedona or Santa Fe, if I could afford to,

I will definitely report back about any changes to Indulge.

BTW, did you and your husband apply for Global Entry? I recall you were planning to enroll once the passport issue was squared away, which I thought was amazing timing. We were all sweating for you guys.

Ohhh!!! You've been there. Coral Pink Sand Dunes is one of my favorite parks. Those pups I mentioned that I adopted from Best Friends - our first night together was in a tent at that park. I suppose that's why the fond memories. Plus, it's just a wicked place to go!

No Global Entry. I did convince him to get TSA Pre-Check. How? The line to security in Vegas! I was through in less than three minutes. I then waited for him for nearly thirty minutes. First thing he did when we got home was schedule himself an appointment. He now has a KTN! We might get Global Entry, but I don't see any reason why. Am I missing something?

• Like 3