Nile river cruise

gil361

has anyone recently come back from  a nile river cruise. Going in 3 weeks and am  very hesitant of going due to the war in the middle east. AMA will l not cancel or give back any money. Any thoughts

If you are only going to Egypt, I would think you should be OK.  I expect  AMA would be cancelling if they felt that the risk was too great. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was extra security during your trip.  We had an extra (armed) guard when we were in Cairo (not with AMA) - and things were stable enough at that time that we visited Israel and Jordan as well.  (Certainly wouldn't be going to Israel now!! )  I got the sense that safety of tourists is important to the people of Egypt. 

Do you have travel insurance?  If you are hesitant to travel, will they cover the costs if you choose to cancel?

Fran

From reports on a Facebook group for OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) travelers, the situation in Egypt at this time is safe and is basically unchanged from the past. We leave for a trip there in a month. Despite having concerns that something will happen in Gaza during our trip (we arrive the first night of Chanukah) we plan to go. 
Good luck and enjoy your trip. 

On 11/2/2023 at 1:56 PM, gil361 said:

has anyone recently come back from  a nile river cruise. Going in 3 weeks and am  very hesitant of going due to the war in the middle east. AMA will l not cancel or give back any money. Any thoughts

We're doing the Nile cruise with AMA, going to Jordan for the pre cruise in just a few days (November 13th). We were concerned also but I know AMA would cancel the cruise if they thought it was risky. We wouldn't be going (we have travel insurance) if we thought they'd be any safety concerns but haven't heard of any issues in Jordan or Egypt.

• 2 weeks later...

Take the cruise you will have a great time.  We were on the Viking Aton about a week after the terrorist attack on Israel by Hamas.  We also did a post cruise extension to Jordan which I also highly recommend.  One of the best trips the wife and I have ever done.  Never felt unsafe and the people were very friendly and nice.  The sites you will see are simply amazing.  Again go and enjoy yourself.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 12:56 PM, gil361 said:

We also faced your safety concerns for our Feb. AMA Nile and had 3rd-party insurance but not CFAR.  We cancelled early and lost the lowest AMA penalty instead of waiting as penalties grew.  However, your insurance rules MAY include cancel $ coverage if 1) US State Department raises Egypt or Jordan to highest risk level 4  2) terrorist violence at an itinerary stop within 30 days of your departure if AMA does not alter the tour to bypass trouble spot.  Check your policy details.

Despite vendor-failure risk, I learned to check/buy the cruise lines's insurance when vendor adds-on CFAR future cruise credit (usually requires next trip within 12 months but even different itinerary)

Good Luck - Vic, Atlanta.

RE travel insurance - heres link to a major insurers, Allianz, 'approved travel supplier list' for Allianz's policy to cover financial default of a travel vendor.  List is updated over time and included AMA last year when I checked.

Download covered travel vendor list

For example Crystal cruiseline failed 2? yrs ago and trip's financial loss would be reimbursed only if Crystal was on Allianz's approved list when you bought policy.  This coverage often included when you buy a higher-end "diamond' level coverage policy,  vs just standard injury benefits. 

If you use a TA, tell them to quote policy with/without financial default inclusion to see if extra cost worth it.  GOOD LUCK

I was just reading on Ralph Grizzle's website that AMA is privately owned, buys their ships with cash and has no debt.  During Covid they never laid off a single employee.  I think they are probably the most financial sound cruise line going.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was just reading on Ralph Grizzle's website that AMA is privately owned, buys their ships with cash and has no debt.  During Covid they never laid off a single employee.  I think they are probably the most financial sound cruise line going.

OTOH I've seen in print the Viking owner Hagen, pre-Covid, say he loves debt leverage.  I recall maybe Forbes reporting his personal weath fell by billions as he paid all staff at 50% during long Covid shutdown.  Early in restart ships sailed at 33-50% capacity, so recovery only reached 2019 level this year. 

Carnival, NCL and RCCL (having low credit rating) were borrowing 1-2 billion with empty fleet at anchor and paying 12%+ interest, which is now being refinanced.  The airlines only survived with government support as critical infrastructure.  Best wishes, fingers crossed for entire travel industry returning to normalcy.

7 hours ago, greydog said:

OTOH I've seen in print the Viking owner Hagen, pre-Covid, say he loves debt leverage.

Which is the typical MO for real estate moguls, and also the reason they so often fail when a downturn blows over their house of cards.  I feel much safer entrusting my money to AMA than I would with Viking.  The bigger the leverage, the bigger the fall...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Which is the typical MO for real estate moguls, and also the reason they so often fail when a downturn blows over their house of cards.  I feel much safer entrusting my money to AMA than I would with Viking.  The bigger the leverage, the bigger the fall...

(Showing my age) When Long Term Capital failed they peaked at 90-t0-1 leverage and govt had to intervene to avoid handicapping entire financial system.  Hard lessons only learned after disasters.