NCL income up 217%, Food & Service budget increase?

wilmingtech

3 hours ago, BrianLo said:

That was my whole point, NCL is not playing in the same field as RCL anymore. Non-Caribbean and longer itinerary guests are generally stronger guests though. 

I’m not sure how they are both too expensive and too much of a bargain? The occupancy was just 106% last quarter. It will be soft due to Hawaiian and Middle East cancellations, but a death spiral seems to be a bit melodramatic…

If you look at the UK/northern Europe there were a lot of decent itinerary but many open jaw making travel logistics more complicated.

Prices seemed quite high but some great bargain basement clearance rates for UK bookers.

Similar in the med on some routes, great late prices on Epic.

Also remember there were lots of discount vouchers floating about people were not paying the advertised prices, Alaska vouchers were 50%, Europe 15%/20%.

Seems Royal, MSC and Carnival are moving to the 3 and 4 shorter Caribbean “booze” cruises!

NCL was really never into that.  They are emphasizing longer cruises, which is more lucrative!

Been a few years since I’ve sailed MSC.  Wasn’t bad.  They just don’t understand the North American market!  And, reports from other cruisers I trust state government their crew/staff are surly and spread very thin!  MSC was quite dishonest with me personally when I tried to sail with them last year.  Not very motivated to sail them these days!

Tried to sail Royal 3-4 times since the restart.  Actually sailed them once.  Not much luck with service nor food (they actually said the buffet was “sold out”…the Windjammer…SOLD OUT!

No shows in Two70.  

Their Caribbean sailings for February 2024 were priced about the same as the Haven-Prima, similar itinerary and time frame.  That’s a tough sell.

Been a while since I’ve sailed Carnival.  I have to be “in the mood” to do that!

Seems NCL is focused on their market and are working to serve it!

On 11/3/2023 at 9:16 AM, wilmingtech said:

NCL has gone from a net income of (-482.48M) in Dec 22 to a +345.87M in the 3rd quarter of this year (2023).

How long will it take for that to trickle down to increased service and food quality on the ships? 

I understand the reason for the cutbacks but now with the cruise industry booming, will more of that addl profit go to new ships and expansion of the company with the current cutbacks being the "new normal" or will they focus on improving quality of food and service on the ships to retain the clientele?

In short, the priority of NCL right now is to pay off those pandemic related loans as quick as possible. The interest on those loans are killing them financially and until a majority of that debt is off the books I don’t see them changing course quickly. 
But the results are promising, but honestly I would not expect them to change course anytime soon. 

29 minutes ago, hallux said:

A shame, that's a FANTASTIC venue!

Agree!

9 minutes ago, kasimir said:

In short, the priority of NCL right now is to pay off those pandemic related loans as quick as possible. The interest on those loans are killing them financially and until a majority of that debt is off the books I don’t see them changing course quickly. 
But the results are promising, but honestly I would not expect them to change course anytime soon. 

I believe all the cruise lines are faced with the same issue.  Hope they all get back to solid financial health!

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Probably should have heeded the old adage “just one more” before the show.

Ooops….you’re “ratted” out!

LOL.  If only there were a place where folks like us could congregate and enjoy each other's unbridled humor.   Hmmm....  What would that be like?? 😎

@ggTexasGal  would fit in great!  🤣 (jk)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

LOL.  If only there were a place where folks like us could congregate and enjoy each other's unbridled humor.   Hmmm....  What would that be like?? 😎

Looking forward to our chances to meet both @ChiefMateJRK and @graphicguy on upcoming cruises!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Absolutely!  @ChiefMateJRK is way more entertaining than I am, though. 😉

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Maybe it would have been better if I had hit the bar before the show?

disclaimer: I probably spent meaningful time at the bar prior to the show 😎 (I don't want to be "ratted out" by @graphicguy, since he was on the same sailing🤣)

Maybe you should switch to Margaritaville at Sea.  Seems more your speed 😆

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

????  I don't even know what that is.

There's this fantastic site where you can enter a search term and learn information about it. You should try it sometime, it's called Google.  🤣. Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but so many people make comments like this when they very well CAN just search the term...

11 minutes ago, hallux said:

There's this fantastic site where you can enter a search term and learn information about it. You should try it sometime, it's called Google.  🤣. Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but so many people make comments like this when they very well CAN just search the term...

Yeah, but I really wasn't that interested in learning more about it.  I was mostly just stating a fact.

This unlike some others who tell people things that they already know.