Chacchoben Ruins Tour with Native Choice in Costa Maya

Coast To Coasters

Hi everyone! We just got back from our first ever visit to Costa Maya and I thought I would give a quick review of our excursion. Originally we had planned to do Royal Caribbeans excursion that included the ruins and Balacar Lagoon but in the end, I couldn't justify the price when the ruins was what I really wanted to visit from all of it. Even Royal Caribbeans price for the ruins seemed a little on the high side, so I did some research and decided to take the chance and book external with Native Choice. Native Choice is the main excursion company from what I gathered during research and they have a really nice and simple set up in the port area and it's easy to navigate too when you get off the ship. 

My biggest concern with booking externally, particularly on an excursion that involves an hour drive was making it back to the ship on time but I asked at the desk what time we could expect to be back and was told by 1pm, nearly 2 hours before final boarding and sure enough, we got back dead on time! On check in you're given a coloured wristband which identifies you to the tour guides as to what bus and tour you are on, handy as well as you can keep track on everyone on the excursion in case you get sidetracked during your visit!

The driver was very safe on the drive to the ruins, drove carefully in an air con bus and we arrived in good time. The ruins itself were beautiful, fascinating to learn about and really enjoyable. Our guide was really knowledgable and friendly and was happy to answer questions. There is some physical aspect to the excursion, in climbing a large steep set of stairs to reach one set of ruins but it is definitely worth it! If you really struggle, you could also remain at the bottom and still have an enjoyable experience. 

Overall cost was less than half of what RC wanted. And after talking to another group on the excursion, I actually learnt that RC use Native Choice for their excursion anyway! Making it even more bonkers that you would pay RC directly with their premium! Speaking to everyone, I also learnt that the tours in the area, but particularly Native choice take great pride in making sure you enjoy your day but also get back to the ship on time as it is their prime source of income for the island, and they want people to leave happy and come back! So overall, really impressed with them and feel a lot better now with booking an excursion externally in the future.

Any questions about the excursion or anything, let me know!

17 hours ago, PaulC29 said:

How far is the walk to the pick up location - is it the office location marked on Google Maps or closer to port. Do they drop off inside the port area upon the return? 

It is 2 or 3 blocks once you get out of the port maze. You walk back to port from the pick up area.

On 11/16/2023 at 12:08 AM, PaulC29 said:

How far is the walk to the pick up location - is it the office location marked on Google Maps or closer to port. Do they drop off inside the port area upon the return? 

It is about as far outside port as inside - about 0.5 miles total. You can virtual walk most of it on Google.  You can find previous discussions on here with maps from Native Choice as to how to get through the port.

On 11/16/2023 at 12:08 AM, PaulC29 said:

Here is a previous thread 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2954475-native-choice-tour/page/2/#comment-66267139

Edited by c-leg5